Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
Old 11-27-2006, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lightweight flywheel is eliminating rotating mass in a very important area. LSD is a mechanism that helps 2 wheels spin together at the same speed.... so yes, it would probably make getting off the line a little easier instead of just 1 wheel spinning.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So technically the car increases speed faster because it's taking the HP and TQ it already has and enhancing it. Long as I go faster, and make louder noises.

WOOHOOOO!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Espeed
So technically the car increases speed faster because it's taking the HP and TQ it already has and enhancing it. Long as I go faster, and make louder noises.

WOOHOOOO!

lsd's aren't just for race, hell even , it's also a very good safety feature, in slippery situations say rain or snow it will help get better control of the car.

in my eyes Scion shoulda included it in the car to begin with.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was being sarcastic
Old 11-28-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much for the required install kit?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by LaMbO_tC
how much for the required install kit?
http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=1310
LSD $1099 + shipping

http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.ph...&parts_id=1336 INSTALL KIT $132.68 No additional Shipping cost
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you. :D
Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scionpartspeople.com
1,138 with shipping.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah but how much is it to install it.. how many hours of labor would a dealer charge to put this in?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Louie

lsd's aren't just for race, hell even , it's also a very good safety feature, in slippery situations say rain or snow it will help get better control of the car.

in my eyes Scion shoulda included it in the car to begin with.
Not the Quaife LSD! With the ATBD, as soon as one wheel slips, it'll spin til kingdom (or grip) come. The Quaife multiplies torque from one wheel to the next so when one wheel gets 0 grip, it multiplies the other side by zero. Zero? Zero? No go. In a real slippery situation, the Quaife LSD will act as an open differential.

For those times, I'd go with the PG. That unit always puts torque down to the wheels regardless of grip. It does that because it's a bit of a simpler device.

But I live in SoCal. WTF would snow be doing on streets anyhow? SoCal FTW!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how does that make sense? that is completely contradictory to its purpose.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
yeah but how much is it to install it.. how many hours of labor would a dealer charge to put this in?
Depends on the dealer and their expertise... They will all quote you different.. I think I've heard it's a 4-6 hour install. Your best bet would be contacting Ken or Josh at TRDSPARKS.COM and ask them what they think. You may be able to find labor cheaper at a reputable performance shop in your area, but at least it will be warrantied via Scion if you have them install it.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think if you put it in yourself you get a shorter warranty. cuz when the dealer puts on a supercharger... it's a longer one than when you put it on yourself.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now that the snow is flying; anyone happen to get one installed yet with some winter driving info on how well it works for that?
While I'd love to see some before/after 1/4 performance times, which i'd expect to drop a couple tenths with some much needed traction; but after trying to leave an intersection in the snow with little luck, the lsd may have more poor weather benefits then just a hard launch in summer.
any thoughts?? I think this is a positive thing for us with blown tc's; imagine what it could feel like to actually hammer it in 1st!
thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/quote]

Not the Quaife LSD! With the ATBD, as soon as one wheel slips, it'll spin til kingdom (or grip) come. The Quaife multiplies torque from one wheel to the next so when one wheel gets 0 grip, it multiplies the other side by zero. Zero? Zero? No go. In a real slippery situation, the Quaife LSD will act as an open differential.

For those times, I'd go with the PG. That unit always puts torque down to the wheels regardless of grip. It does that because it's a bit of a simpler device.

But I live in SoCal. WTF would snow be doing on streets anyhow? SoCal FTW![/quote]

we need more discussion about this /\/\ because i'm not quite understanding.... so the basic principle behind the LSD is to have the other wheel with less traction get grip before it starts spinning?? Because if its spinning it has zero grip, which multiplies it by the other side , 100%...and 100% times 0% equals zero?? So whats the advantage of this again???
Old 12-03-2006, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My god...every LSD, and I mean EVERY directs SOME power to the wheel with more grip. Some are just better at that task. Now if you have a wheel in the air, you'd need a locker to get free, but we're not talking about trucks here.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys, don't worry about it. You're not going to often be in a place when one tire has grip and the other has zero unless you drive with one wheel on pavement and the other on ice. In order to get an ATBD to act like an open differential you essentially need to get one wheel in the air like adg016 said. When I said slippery situation, I mean in a circumstance of ZERO grip, not limited grip. In a case of limited grip, the ATBD will work like a charm, transferring more and more power to the opposite wheel helping a lot in both straight line acceleration (where one wheel wants to break loose but hasn't yet) or in a turn (where one wheel is spinning faster than the other.)

The thing about a "slippery" situation is that as soon as one wheel's grip becomes zero, it all goes to hell. But you won't be going very fast in such circumstances so nine times out of ten the ATBD will be able to make do with the grip at hand and pull you out. Just don't expect to tear through the country side and land one wheel in thick mud and expect yourself to get out with the LSD.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I called my Local dealership here in SoCal, Kearny Mesa Scion.

They didn't even know what I was talking about, they had to call TRD and figure out what I was talking about.

They Told me that I would need Shims and some speedometer thing. They quoted me $1450 for the whole kit with everything needed to install which is pretty much ($1100 for the LSD, $150 for the install kit and $200 for the other stuff)

They stated it would be a 25 hour install as they have to disassemble the engine and tranny.

Total quoted price with parts and labor for install is $3600

Ayyayyaaaaa!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you kungpaosamuraiii, I appreciate your patience. As you know many people on this forum know a limited amount of information which results in misinformation. I just wanted to ensure that I was fully knowledgable about the dif. before i purchased it. so thank you again.

Secondly, as to what mr Her0 stated; my dealership quoted me $3000 for the total install including the "labor" to put in the clutch and flywheel. This a ll a little too rich for my blood. However, i plan on goin F/I. Therefore, it is def. needed in order to get all that power on the gound.

Quick Reply: TRD Limited Slip Differential