Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD LSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LSD is awesome i mean lol limited slip is def a good thing to have on a decent powered fwd aplication...a stock tc dont waste your money unless you plan to go F/I..if you think you can throw lsd into the tc and beat a vette your wrong...
also it says new bearings and shims so your prolly lookin at another 400 idn if neone needed them but thats what the install manual says

trd sparks for 1099 and idn dealer may charge 8hrs 9hrs so you can look at between 550-700 no idea
Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: prices...

Originally Posted by aenigma
does anyone know how much is the LSD + installation?
any ideas?
you need the lsd and install kit - look on trdsparks.com - the install is going to be around $800
Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man, i can't wait to get my tc back tuesday, complete with clutch, flywheels and lsd!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by GarmaZed
Originally Posted by nig_nig_the_conqueror
TRD sells LSD? I thought that stuff was illegal.
/SMACK
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Menace
TRD bought the rights from Quaife, its a good LSD
First off, don't mean to thread jack, just curious here... Since Quaife has no plans of making a A/T version of the LSD does anyone know of a reputable place that does make one or would make a custom one? I've been told a/t don't need one as badly as the m/t guys do but I don't see how that is true Any suggestions? Other than trading in for a m/t bc I'm not going to do that to my car
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by amdforever
First off, don't mean to thread jack, just curious here... Since Quaife has no plans of making a A/T version of the LSD does anyone know of a reputable place that does make one or would make a custom one? I've been told a/t don't need one as badly as the m/t guys do but I don't see how that is true Any suggestions? Other than trading in for a m/t bc I'm not going to do that to my car
i'd guess that no, nobody is going to make one because a limited slip differential is a performance part, and people serious about vehicles performance don't buy automatics, they get manuals. so i'd suppose that you'd have to get a group of automatic tc owners to petition quaife or somebody to make you an lsd for you so they can determine whether or not there is enough of a market to sell an lsd for the auto tc.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

tranny swap!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i'd guess that no, nobody is going to make one because a limited slip differential is a performance part, and people serious about vehicles performance don't buy automatics, they get manuals. so i'd suppose that you'd have to get a group of automatic tc owners to petition quaife or somebody to make you an lsd for you so they can determine whether or not there is enough of a market to sell an lsd for the auto tc.

which you wont do so give up before you start - j/k

The lsd is great for the mt but for the auto it would help sometimes because its good for taking off in rainy weather or on dirt that has small rocks. my street has an incline when i make a right out of it .....and i guess crap builds up there ....its great for that.

but anyway - the lsd really shows through when you drop it harder with a mt. Right now I drop the clutch harder then I did w/o it so it pretty much feels like I could always like "more" traction.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A/T transmission helps traction because it electronically determines which gear you should be in by evaluating load and other variables, so theoretically you will not slip as much under same conditions as you would in a M/T, since A/Ts are not as aggressive.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any ideas?
Yeah, I have an idea...

LSD+installation=WAY TOO MUCH!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

its about a $2k-2,200 project between parts and labor
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A/T transmission helps traction because it electronically determines which gear you should be in by evaluating load and other variables, so theoretically you will not slip as much under same conditions as you would in a M/T, since A/Ts are not as aggressive.
hmm interesting. Thanks man
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forgot to add that Automatic gears are also a bit longer, in turn providing more traction at the expense of acceleration.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:12 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by nig_nig_the_conqueror
any ideas?
Yeah, I have an idea...

LSD+installation=WAY TOO MUCH!
Not if they are doing other work on the trans... I was having my flywheel + clutch replaced, so it didnt cost much more to put my LSD in.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forgot to add that Automatic gears are also a bit longer, in turn providing more traction at the expense of acceleration.
all that sounds...well way wrong.

the reason why you might be less likely to get wheel spin with an automatic instead of a manual is because:

1. automatic transmissions transfer less power to the wheels, so right off the bat they are less likely to overpower the wheels

2. because it is a lot easier to control throttle input on an automatic because once your foot is off the gas, it already starts idling forward then you can open up the throttle as you feel the car either pull or slip.

when pulling away from a stop with my 5 speed, if i get wheelspin because of wet conditions or because i'm on an incline, i just drop it right into second and wheelspin is gone.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all that sounds...well way wrong.

the reason why you might be less likely to get wheel spin with an automatic instead of a manual is because:

1. automatic transmissions transfer less power to the wheels, so right off the bat they are less likely to overpower the wheels

2. because it is a lot easier to control throttle input on an automatic because once your foot is off the gas, it already starts idling forward then you can open up the throttle as you feel the car either pull or slip.

when pulling away from a stop with my 5 speed, if i get wheelspin because of wet conditions or because i'm on an incline, i just drop it right into second and wheelspin is gone.
Before saying that someone is wrong, do a little research. Your statements are very broad and inaccurate explanations based on your experience and your understanding of the vehicle, not facts.

I love a good debate, show me your facts, I'll show you mine and we can establish who was correct. Don't call someone out without looking into the issue.

First, to explain your first statement; the reason your automatic transmission puts less power to the wheels is due to a lower gear ratio, which acts as a multiplier.
So in turn, lower gear ratio is the cause and less power at the wheels (as you stated) is the effect.

Second, in an automatic transmission: "The computer uses sensors on the engine and transmission to detect such things as throttle position, vehicle speed, engine speed, engine load, brake pedal position, etc. to control exact shift points as well as how soft or firm the shift should be. Once the computer receives this information, it then sends signals to a solenoid pack inside the transmission. The solenoid pack contains several electrically controlled solenoids that redirect the fluid to the appropriate clutch pack or servo in order to control shifting. Computerized transmissions even learn your driving style and constantly adapt to it so that every shift is timed precisely when you would need it."

This is a basic on how gears work: http://www.gears-manufacturers.com/gear-ratios.html
This is on how transmissions work: http://www.familycar.com/Transmission.htm
Last, this is a very good read that explains HP, Torque, Gear Ratio, and Acceleration. http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html Everyone should read this.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but do auto scions really have a sort of traction control that if you move away from a stop in slippery conditions, and get wheelspin, it will upshift or whatever help reduce wheel slip?

i'm just basing it on my explorer experience, when in 2wd, if i gunned the engine on a wet road, i would just get wheel spin and bouce off the rev limitor, no upshift or anything.

if i was in 4wd auto, once the rear wheels started the slip, the wheel speed sensor would detect this and engage the transfer case to make the front wheels start pulling too.

i'm sure the auto tc has a more advanced transmission than my old explorer, but not something like traction control.

in my dad's 96 corvette automatic which has traction control, when the wheels slip, it would practically kick out the gas pedal and the light for the traction control...i think it was like asv or something would come on. tc's don't have.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Menace, autos have taller (see: higher) gear ratios to make up for the non-existant 5th gear.

But yes, I agree with whoever said autos are not for performance. None of my friends understand this.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC does not have traction control and an LSD would help a lot. My initial point was that auto is slightly better than manual in regards to traction. All conditions don't apply as well, rain, snow, and extreme weather can confuse the A/T, but then again driving a manual in snow is not a walk in the park either.

Zeban, the lower the ratio the longer the gear is. I don't know the numbers for the tC but lets say the first gear has a ratio of 3.10:1 that means for every gear revolution the engine revolution is 3.1 this would be 1st gear. Last gear, (commonly called over drive) due to the fact that it spins faster than the engine, ex: 0.89:1. The fourth gear in automatic has a lower ratio than the manual's 5th, thats the reason behind better hwy gas mileage in automatics.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but do auto scions really have a sort of traction control that if you move away from a stop in slippery conditions, and get wheelspin, it will upshift or whatever help reduce wheel slip?

i'm just basing it on my explorer experience, when in 2wd, if i gunned the engine on a wet road, i would just get wheel spin and bouce off the rev limitor, no upshift or anything.

if i was in 4wd auto, once the rear wheels started the slip, the wheel speed sensor would detect this and engage the transfer case to make the front wheels start pulling too.

i'm sure the auto tc has a more advanced transmission than my old explorer, but not something like traction control.

in my dad's 96 corvette automatic which has traction control, when the wheels slip, it would practically kick out the gas pedal and the light for the traction control...i think it was like asv or something would come on. tc's don't have.
I don't think the autos have traction control. at least not for the price we pay for the car. maybe it has that drive logic thing, but i never looked into it so i could be wrong.

Quick Reply: TRD LSD