Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Quaife install by a Honda guy.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member

waiting no parts, speedo drive ring, I'm gonna suggest to SparksTRD they include one in the install kit from now one. That way you just take the Quaife, slap on the speedo gear, press on the bearings and go........

Old 01-19-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now this is the LSD i like. y dont u keep both trannys you figure this new one will be put thru some hell and then brought back. plus a tranny is not that easy to get sometimes or at least cheaply priced.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member

once Quaife is install, should never have any worrys.

Her other trany could be used as a core for the next persons LSD install.....sorta like pass the tranny around.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13
now this is the LSD i like. y dont u keep both trannys you figure this new one will be put thru some hell and then brought back. plus a tranny is not that easy to get sometimes or at least cheaply priced.
i'd rather make back the money i spent on the original tranny..
if your assumption was correct that i picked up the tranny for cheap... i might maybe sorta consider thinking about keeping it.. but i don't forsee the need to do that...

so i'm letting it be a donor tranny for the next person that can't live without the LSD
Old 01-19-2007, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bonespec
Cincinnati, Ohio.
I live near Columbus. How much beer would it take to convince you to help me do a quaife install on my tranny when I can finally afford one. I could use the help of a knowledgable expert
Old 01-19-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatpat
Cincinnati, Ohio.
I live near Columbus. How much beer would it take to convince you to help me do a quaife install on my tranny when I can finally afford one. I could use the help of a knowledgable expert

lol last i checked bone dealt in cash
Old 01-19-2007, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

Cincinnati, Ohio.
I love beer don't get me wrong, but my liver says
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member

Cincinnati, Ohio.
I love beer don't get me wrong, but my liver says

LOL The Liver is evil punish it.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member

But seriously if i do get the lsd I'd love help and would be willing to pay for it. I can just see me getting halfway through and screwing something up and having to take the tranny to a dealership and then I'd have wasted all that time and still get bankrupted by a dealership.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member

Lets put it this way, you need about $300 in tools before even starting the install, then a 20 ton press, and a pot of near boiling water......
Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

Ok.... Way more complicated than remove stock unit put the new one in I thought it would be.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Im not sure how many people are new to car modding and are looking to try this install ....but just a few words "dont do it" - If you have doubt in your ability to do this "dont do it" - I was thinking about getting the lsd this year but I have to see. There is no way I wanna spend $600-900 on the install but im no way qualified to do this.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

^^^

thas why you pay someone who knows just wat they are doing and you have them do it for ya...
Old 01-20-2007, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member

Very true. But you can't learn if you're not involved somehow which is why I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealer in the event I do get one b/c I could learn actually being involved.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Very true. But you can't learn if you're not involved somehow which is why I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealer in the event I do get one b/c I could learn actually being involved.
valid point... but knowledge is never cheap ... you should hook up with bone.. see if he'll do the install for ya.. and if you can watch/learn along the way... a perk you can't get at a dealership

if it wasn't a time issue i'd love to learn also but just not an option to know everything and i figure once the LSD is in.. it won't be something that is too reusable for me... who knows...
Old 01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I agree with you but you dont start there - there are many many many other things that are easier that I have learned to do on my car since I bought it. You can change out components ....both inside and outside ....change your pads ... .... ...there is a huge list. For "me" this is too advanced just because of that fact that I dont have someone next to me showing me things just for the first time.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82

I agree with you but you dont start there - there are many many many other things that are easier that I have learned to do on my car since I bought it. You can change out components ....both inside and outside ....change your pads ... .... ...there is a huge list. For "me" this is too advanced just because of that fact that I dont have someone next to me showing me things just for the first time.
exactly.. gotta pick and choose your battles to make sure they are valuable.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah I've done a lot of R&R but want to learn the more indepth aspects. But yeah I wouldn't do it myself unless I have someone there to tell me what to do.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member

Best way to learn, hang out at the dealership after 6pm if you know the mechanics, how I first learned Honda Transmissions almost ten years ago......

I watched John Murphy once, went from there.

http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/zcsifdswap.html
Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a entry level honda tech. have the tools and brains in the shop to it. just wondering how different this is from a honda trans in case I screw up I can still have someone help me out.

looks alot like the newer civic trannys. disasemble the same way at least.

Quick Reply: TRD Quaife install by a Honda guy.........