Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD quick/short shifter review

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD quick/short shifter review

I recently purchased a TRD quickshifter and decided to post a mini-review of the installation/shifter.

The Installation:
The installation instructions supplied with the shifter are sufficient to get the job done, but lack certain details which can make the installation go less smoothly. I have never installed anything like this before and it took me about 1.5 hours from start to test drive. If you have some experience, or have better instructions, it will take a lot less than that. Nothing about the install is particularly difficult, but certain things are just a pain to remove. Namely, removing the linkages from the housings (2 spring screws), removing and reinstalling the center linkage to the shifter, and also removing the two plugs from the arm rest can be painful. The rest is fairly straight forward.

The Product:
Since I've installed the shifter, I've driven for about 40 miles, so my experience with it is still limited. However, I can certainly say the difference is very noticeable. The throws are noticeably shorter, but not that shorter. Depending on preference, some might want something more aggressive. For me, it feels just right.

Aside from shorter throws, the shifter overall feels a lot tighter and more precise than stock. It requires a bit more force to engage gears, but the feeling is more controlled and sporty. I also felt that the stock shifter height was perfect for me (I'm 5'11") so keeping the same height was a nice thing for me.

The TRD **** looks great. The overall grip is similar to stock. The primary difference vs stock is the size and the fact that it's leather. Leather feels smooth and soft, and the threading on the **** acts as added grip (at least for me). The fact that it's smaller also lets you feel the shifter a bit more, which I like. This is not a good **** for someone who wants a weighted ****, however, since it is actually lighter (by a small amount) than stock.

Overall:
Pros:
+ More precise/solid feel during shifting
+ Shorter, yet not aggressively so, throws
+ Stock height (if that is what's desireable)
+ Come with the cage, not just the shifter
+ TRD **** included, can be sold on eBay for a decent amount if not wanted

Cons:
- Pricey
- Throws might not be as short as some would like

Well that's it, hopefully it's helpful to those of you who are thinking about purchasing one. Opinions/questions welcome.[/list]
Old 01-09-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Thats exactly how I feel about the TRD Quickshifter. Its very comfortable to drive, and it freed up all the sloppy shifting from stock. I enjoy the stock height, gives me more leverage.
Good review.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Would one of you mind posting a pic or is there no noticable height difference?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is actually no height difference. I don't have a camera, so perhaps someone else can post a pic of theirs. However, you can just imagine your stock shifter + TRD ****. That's how it would look like.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

For a cheaper option, definately also consider the B&M short shifter, and the height is great and the throw is a little more aggresive than the TRD's.... It ran me around 110 bucks... which is a bit less than the TRD setup...

The TRD is a little easier to install, but a bit too pricey for the outcome IMHO.