Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD SC Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, here is an attempt at some clarification....

Underdrive means to slow down.
Overdrive means to speed up.

Putting an underdrive crank pulley on a supercharged car would slow all accessories down, including the supercharger which is also an accessory itself.

putting an overdrive crank pulley on a supercharged car will speed up the supercharger and increase boost. another method of getting more boost would be to replace the pulley on the SC itself with an overdrive pulley. This pulley on the SC is the one that is the so called tamperproof pulley.

So what do we do if we do not want to mess with this tamperproof piece? We get an Overdrive Crank pulley kit. Like the one mentioned earlier from www.NonStopTuning.com

And I can tell you from first hand experience, an overdrive crank pulley will not speed up the water pump or any other accessories so much that anything bad will happen as a result. ask the hundreds of Supercharged MR2 owners using overdrive NST pulley kits for the past 2 decades!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys won't regret it - Boost changed my life
Old 10-14-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im too lazy to read to see if anyone put the same thing im about to, but good luck with it. i hear alot of bad things about the TRD sc. friend had it and it lags alot. doesnt really kick in till about 3-4k rpm, not sure why, but it was wierd. you may want an over sized pulley for more boost, and a top, or front mount intercooler to help it along. good luck though
Old 10-14-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crazy_kat_matt
im too lazy to read to see if anyone put the same thing im about to, but good luck with it. i hear alot of bad things about the TRD sc. friend had it and it lags alot. doesnt really kick in till about 3-4k rpm, not sure why, but it was wierd. you may want an over sized pulley for more boost, and a top, or front mount intercooler to help it along. good luck though
Was this on a tC and did he get the reflash done?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by reagulator
thats why you get an OVERDRIVE pulley.
http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToySciTCscd.htm
interesting that they call it an overdrive pulley. I have always heard them referred to as underdrive, but regardless of the name, the idea is, the pulley increases the speed at which the belt is being turned per engine revolution, which thus increases the spool on the turbine, thus increasing boost.

Hell, for all I care, they can call it a "tea-bagger" pulley. As long as it does the job, I don't give a crap
Old 10-14-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 87na

Putting an underdrive crank pulley on a supercharged car would slow all accessories down, including the supercharger which is also an accessory itself.

putting an overdrive crank pulley on a supercharged car will speed up the supercharger and increase boost. another method of getting more boost would be to replace the pulley on the SC itself with an overdrive pulley. This pulley on the SC is the one that is the so called tamperproof pulley.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it was on a corolla S but still i heard lots of similar responses from all trd sc kits
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Originally Posted by 87na

yeah saw that.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
, it is capped off by a tamper-proof device to keep people from swapping pulleys.
That's isn't correct. It just needs to be broken off to be replaced, in which case Toyota will know it's been tampered with and be able to void warranty. If Toyota needs to take the pulley off for some reason, I am sure they would put a new cap back on it.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by apexjr
, it is capped off by a tamper-proof device to keep people from swapping pulleys.
That's isn't correct. It just needs to be broken off to be replaced, in which case Toyota will know it's been tampered with and be able to void warranty. If Toyota needs to take the pulley off for some reason, I am sure they would put a new cap back on it.
Maybe I wasn't **** enough with my response. It should have read...
, it is capped off by a tamper-proof device to keep people from swapping pulleys if they don't want Toyota to find out.