Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD supercharger, & GAS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by schreindogg
Originally Posted by engifineer
Superchargers work exactly like a turbo on the output side... the only difference is that they are belt driven as opposed to exhaust driven. They cannot be turned on and off like a compressor. A compressor is turned on and off via a clutch on the drive pulley. A supercharger does not have this option. If you turned it off, you would have a restriction on the intake side of the engine.
Of course it can be turned off with a clutch. Toyota did it on the 4AGZE. They used a bypass valve to allow air in when the compressor was shut off.

Here's some info on the system:

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Scnotes.htm
True, I should have used the word "typically" in that sentence.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Misinformation city!

Centrifugal superchargers experience lag too, smartypants.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Motorsport TC
I thought the roots type such as the Eaton M45 used in the Mercedes C230 Kompressor was able to be turned off via a clutch. I didn't think Centrifugual type could use the same way
Well since both are pulley driven I don't think it's too far fetched to think that they could both be clutched like the A/C pulley and a bypass installed.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The factory supercharger is not out yet... people have been waiting for it forever.. and it will most likely be fall or winter according to scion. Do a search on here and you will see what I mean.

As for the effects... it will degrade mileage, as any performance mod will. Scion is saying around 6 PSI or so... (still not written in stone, but 6 PSI and 60 bhp do match up calculation wise). So that is about 41% more air molecules... meaning 41% more fuel when in the highest boost range. These are just rough calculations... and the supercharger is not pushing max boost all the time. So I would say with normal driving, you are probably looking at losing around 5-6mpg... maybe more. But then again.. if you have a supercharger.. you arent going to be running it "normal" all the time
you wouldnt compensate 41% more air with 41% more fuel right?
wouldnt that cause you to run really, really, really rich?
i figure you they would have to maintain a reasonable a/f ratio (i think the magic number is 14.2 or something)

correct me if im wrong?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by JZA70
The factory supercharger is not out yet... people have been waiting for it forever.. and it will most likely be fall or winter according to scion. Do a search on here and you will see what I mean.

As for the effects... it will degrade mileage, as any performance mod will. Scion is saying around 6 PSI or so... (still not written in stone, but 6 PSI and 60 bhp do match up calculation wise). So that is about 41% more air molecules... meaning 41% more fuel when in the highest boost range. These are just rough calculations... and the supercharger is not pushing max boost all the time. So I would say with normal driving, you are probably looking at losing around 5-6mpg... maybe more. But then again.. if you have a supercharger.. you arent going to be running it "normal" all the time
you wouldnt compensate 41% more air with 41% more fuel right?
wouldnt that cause you to run really, really, really rich?
i figure you they would have to maintain a reasonable a/f ratio (i think the magic number is 14.2 or something)

correct me if im wrong?
Yes you would. The ratio stays the same. so if you add more air, you have to add more fuel, which is why you run larger injectors when running more boost., as the stock injectors lose their ability to keep up at some point.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mediocre Generica
Misinformation city!

Centrifugal superchargers experience lag too, smartypants.
yes, centrifugal superchargers do experience lag, however usually less than a turbo of comparable boost. I appologize for generalizing and leaving that point out. We all make mistakes.