Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD tc supercharger now taking orders!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

what a rip, i thought 3200 was the installed price! 3k+ for 40HP? so 200HP? not even 200whp? thats boo boo
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't even know if that's for sure yet.

Everyone should calm down and wait until the numbers are finalized by both TRD and someone independently running a dyno.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i'm going to put this all in caps so MAYBE someone will read it:

PLEASE POST UP WHERE TOYOTA SAID THE SUPERCHARGER WAS GOING TO ADD 40HP? CAN'T FIND IT? NO? OK THEN QUIT SPECULATING!
Old 06-10-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC

PLEASE POST UP WHERE TOYOTA SAID THE SUPERCHARGER WAS GOING TO ADD 40HP? CAN'T FIND IT? NO? OK THEN QUIT SPECULATING!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tckurt
ok guys first off your gonna be able to get it cheaper from like trdsparks or mcgeorge parts and take it to the dealer... secondly you can adjust the psi and change out pulleys to get more gains this isnt like the supercharger cant be upgraded...
I wish, but most stealerships will void your warranty on it then because they didn't get it so it is considered an aftermarket set up so they aren't liable if there is something wrong with it later on... Kind of a scam to make sure you buy it dealership direct.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC

Its in just about every official publication that they put that covers the supercharger. Meaning any magazine, accessory booklet, press release, etc. Here is one of the very first press releases, released oh so long ago, that mentions the S/C and estimated gains. 200 isn't some number people have been pulling out of their asses. Like I said, 200 is the number TOYOTA HAS BEEN GIVING SINCE DAY ONE.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is what I don't understand, ok I buy this from my dealer, my dealer installs it, I drive off the lot, a now stock tC with a super charger, I drive it, redline it all day, because obviously the car has a redline for a reason, and the engine blows up, because no engine is going to handle boost all day everyday anytime for long amounts of time unless its a built motor. Are they going to replace my engine? My guess is it just became wear and tear and I get screwed. Sure if the supercharger breaks, thats warranty but if you drive the car and the engine blows up while its on there, its your fault...?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since it'd be your fault they won't replace it. If you're driving like normal and all of a sudden the s/c pumps in 50 psi and blows every moving pieces to bits then yea, they'd be liable for that.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3
Here is what I don't understand, ok I buy this from my dealer, my dealer installs it, I drive off the lot, a now stock tC with a super charger, I drive it, redline it all day, because obviously the car has a redline for a reason, and the engine blows up, because no engine is going to handle boost all day everyday anytime for long amounts of time unless its a built motor. Are they going to replace my engine? My guess is it just became wear and tear and I get screwed. Sure if the supercharger breaks, thats warranty but if you drive the car and the engine blows up while its on there, its your fault...?
It would not be your fault. The rev limiter is there as a safety precaution to prevent the engine from revving up to unsafe RPMs (short of downshifting into too low of a gear, but that's different). If you were to disable or alter the rev limiter, and then redline it all day, causing the engine to blow up then it would be your fault. An engine does not have to "built" in order to handle constant boost. The forced induction application that is being implemented just has to be designed around the engine with constant use in mind. This is the very premise of the TRD Supercharger system, and just about any other F/I system worth its weight. If the supercharger causes engine failure it will be covered under warranty if the supercharger was installed by a Toyota stealership. The only way it might not be covered is if you have modified the power train in some way, and they can prove that the modification is what lead to the failure.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: TRD tc supercharger now taking orders!!!!!!

Originally Posted by nairod
Just a heads up to everyone who hasn't already heard the great news. TRD is finally going to release the supercharger for the tC's. It is slated to debut at the end of August/ early September. It will give you over 200HP. It is said that the MSRP of the system itself will be around 3200-3500 bucs. And dependind on the service dept where you buy it at, you will have to take into consideration their hourly rate for install. Install time is 5 hours. Most dealers hourly rate is between 65-100 an hour for install. So roughly your looking at 3500-4000 for a TRD supercharger installed and with full warranty. Not bad.
Not bad? Youre joking right?
swing and a miss
Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really hate to be the one to drop water in a bowl of hot wax but I must. I went to a scion developers meeting a few weeks ago and we met for the sole purpose of discussing the trd supercharger. We basically met to see how many of theses chargers we were estimating would sell and get all the shipping numbers right and so forth. The scion reps were saying that the chargers were ready to be shipped, but that they were waiting for some release form to be signed before they could release them. I also spoke with a trd rep along with another scion rep that actually got a chance to drive a tc with the charger installed and of course it would'nt be just of me to ask them about specs. The trd rep was hinting at a range of 250hp. But said that toyota did not want to overpromise and underdeliver so they would stick with 200 for now that way anything higher would please consumers. Along with that talk, there was talks of possible upgrade kits for future release dates like stage 2 and up kits for the charger. Another real good topic of discussion was that we all felt there should be more little less expensive upgrades available, like headers, exhaust, intake, little things like that that would be available through the dealer to fall under full warranty. So that is in the works also. I like everyone else am taking all this info with a grain of salt until the official press release comes out in the next few weeks. But so far the future of scion and the tc look very promising. Keep in mind also that Toyota has always underpromised and overdelivered so I wouldn't be surprised and also keep in mind that the charger has been completely revamped from the ground up to hold up to an everyday driving situaton, and also to keep up with all the other over200+hp competitors out there, so having said that I really would'nt be surprised if it was closer to 250HP.(just my 2 cents though)
Old 06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for that information. makes a lot more sense to use this car's bulletproof engine for a srt-4 competitor. it just MAKES SENSE (and $ for toyota).
Old 06-10-2005, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Originally Posted by yokillr
but come on, do you really think 40hp is worth $3500?
Welcome to the xa/xB world, thats the same price for the Blitz supercharger for our cars and has the same HP output.
You must also remember that 40hp is easier to squeeze out of a 2.4L than a 1.5L . If you look at it that way, for a 40hp increase it looks much better on the xa/xb.

IMO..... but you're still right, that's a lot of cash to put out for 40 horses regardless.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

slapping on a supercharger, no matter how much initial boost is added, is definitely a good thing. And just like turbo chargers can be "modified" to add more boost, so can superchargers. The initial investment will definitely be a big one, but getting more boost from the SC will be relatively inexpensive after that. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck with your superchargers guys!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 87na
slapping on a supercharger, no matter how much initial boost is added, is definitely a good thing. And just like turbo chargers can be "modified" to add more boost, so can superchargers. The initial investment will definitely be a big one, but getting more boost from the SC will be relatively inexpensive after that. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.
YEAH ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BUY DIFFERENT SIZEPULLEYS RIGHT
Old 06-11-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that just made it more appealing... i suppose anywhere from 200 - 250 isnt that bad of a deal... but a 4000 price tag is still up there...

especially being that i already purchased my scion and it would be cash out of my pocket...

what im thinking is when it comes out trading in my used scion, take the couple grand loss, and finance the SC

i dunno we will see how things go

def looking to the official press release
Old 06-11-2005, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If SC could make 200hr at the wheels then TC could beat RSX-S or even stock WRX... I guess we have to wait until somebody buys the kit and dynos it to get exact numbers!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UGHH

If TRD makes a bunch of upgrades available all under full warranty I might have to get it.

What's making me mad is my constant descision switching. Just yesterday I was 100% bought on the turbo but now I'm 70% bought on the supercharger.

GAHHHH

S/C with TRD header and TRD catback (whatever, it'd be nice no doubt) and TRD [other stuff] would be t3h l33t if it actually adds stuff. DAMMIT
Old 06-11-2005, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thrawn
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3
It would not be your fault. The rev limiter is there as a safety precaution to prevent the engine from revving up to unsafe RPMs (short of downshifting into too low of a gear, but that's different). If you were to disable or alter the rev limiter, and then redline it all day, causing the engine to blow up then it would be your fault. An engine does not have to "built" in order to handle constant boost. The forced induction application that is being implemented just has to be designed around the engine with constant use in mind. This is the very premise of the TRD Supercharger system, and just about any other F/I system worth its weight. If the supercharger causes engine failure it will be covered under warranty if the supercharger was installed by a Toyota stealership. The only way it might not be covered is if you have modified the power train in some way, and they can prove that the modification is what lead to the failure.
It would actually be his fault. The rev limiter can not protect the engine from failing early. Running at or right above redline will destroy the engine over time. They will call it abuse and will not warranty that. That is one instance where I would agree with the dealer... I would not warranty an engine because someone stupidly ran it to the limiter constantly.

Quick Reply: TRD tc supercharger now taking orders!!!!!!