Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD tc supercharger now taking orders!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer

It would actually be his fault. The rev limiter can not protect the engine from failing early. Running at or right above redline will destroy the engine over time. They will call it abuse and will not warranty that. That is one instance where I would agree with the dealer... I would not warranty an engine because someone stupidly ran it to the limiter constantly.
but dealers have to take into consideration they are offering an option that not everyone on the street or who will buy it is going to know everything about... some people buy cars fully loaded... put their money into it... drive it daily and couldnt give a rats ___ about making sure it is used properly... not everyone in a scion or who will purchase a SC will be a gear head

you cant blame someone in this case for ignorance
Old 06-11-2005, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so you can blame the OEM cause your an idiot righ?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
It would actually be his fault. The rev limiter can not protect the engine from failing early. Running at or right above redline will destroy the engine over time. They will call it abuse and will not warranty that. That is one instance where I would agree with the dealer... I would not warranty an engine because someone stupidly ran it to the limiter constantly.
I maintain that the rev limiter can protect the engine from failing early, otherwise they would have set it lower in order to provide said protection. That would seem to be very premise of a rev limiter, to help prevent the engine from running at unsafe RPMs. RPMs determined to be unsafe by the engineers at Toyota with an additional safety margin added in for a further margin of reliability. Engineers that would likely take their sword to their stomach if they discovered their calculations were incorrect. lol Seriously though, it would be nearly impossible to stay at the rev limiter all of the time under normal driving conditions. One would have to be going at a slow, constant speed, in 1 - 4th. For that matter, if someone is running above the rev limiter then they've modified the system (driver's fault) or they're downshifting when they shouldn't, which is also the driver's fault. But regardless of that, hitting the rev limiter at every shift point, every day, all year long, should not cause the engine to fail pre-maturely. Nor could the dealer ever prove you hit the revlimiter constantly. They would have to review the black box, and iirc, only Toyota can do that, and that would be after they buy the car back from you to dissect it and determine the failure.

In short, in my opinion, someone could by the S/C, hit the rev limiter at every shift, and if the engine happened to fail (unlikely due to the shifting) the dealer would have to cover it under warranty (assuming it was dealer installed). Unless someone can offer some factual proof that Toyota didn't set the rev-limiter low enought to handle constant abuse, this is the theory I'll go on.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

race any tight autoX lately?

The rev limiter is there to protect the engine against the every once in a while miss shift at high RPM, don’t instantaneously grenade the engine. In no way is it meant to be the absolute fail safe for continuous long term abuse. Engines will fail faster with continuous high RPM usage much faster then without. Add a supercharger and things get even more dicey. To think that the OEM will protect you no matter what your do to a stock setup is a fallacy. In the end Toyota is selling you a cheap production car. Not a handbuilt, race team effort, high dollar performance car. I’m sure the owners manual will say something about not exceeding the factory red line which is um lower then the rev limiter. I’m also sure there is verbage in the manual that says failure to follow the manual will lead to the loss of warranty. I’m also sure the ECU stores values for how many times the rev limiter has been invoked and what max RPM had been seen by the engine.. sneaky evil Toyota. Big brother is watching your via you ECU you can bank on it.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

warranty only covers defective parts under NORMAL driving conditions.

warranty is OVERRATED!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ChiTowntC
that just made it more appealing... i suppose anywhere from 200 - 250 isnt that bad of a deal... but a 4000 price tag is still up there...

especially being that i already purchased my scion and it would be cash out of my pocket...

what im thinking is when it comes out trading in my used scion, take the couple grand loss, and finance the SC

i dunno we will see how things go

def looking to the official press release
I dont know about where youre from, but here...they wont finance performance parts
Old 06-11-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stylis
Originally Posted by yokillr
but come on, do you really think 40hp is worth $3500?
Welcome to the xa/xB world, thats the same price for the Blitz supercharger for our cars and has the same HP output.
but you guys have asmaller motor you can feel 40 hp alot mmor tahn our heavy tanks.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

poor nairod, trying to do something nice for the tC community, and they roaster you. i heard the same thing from my scion rep, actual release, 3200 for charger, and roughly 500 for install.

you can't finance the supercharger through toyota....if you finance through someone else, you might have a chance, but i know toyota won't.

RPM not RPMs

i believe that the people saying 40 hp from 4000 dollars, are the same people paying 300 dollars for a AEM intake which probably nets 6 hp.....50 dollars per hp. roughly. and even so, a supercharger gives a better overall powerband, you can't judge solely on hp. and for heavens sake, its factory warrantied. no other FI product on the market is gonna give you that. wether you void it or not, that's up to you.

lets say blitz came out with a charger that made 20 more hp than the TRD one (that might be conservative, i really don't know), but it would be putting out more boost. and if anything goes wrong, to bad, there's a trade off. i don't think it's fair just to write it off like that.

with all that being said, i don't expect to sell many chargers. we told the rep, maybe, 1 a month, and that was a highball. i anticipate more of the older tC buyers buying it, because of the cost issue.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by uberscionofglendale
with all that being said, i don't expect to sell many chargers. we told the rep, maybe, 1 a month, and that was a highball. i anticipate more of the older tC buyers buying it, because of the cost issue.
Yea, you might sell a few right out the door. MAYBE, but after that, I see you guys sitting on them and eating crow.
A 4G price tag is a little out of range for scions target market
Old 06-11-2005, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nairod
"I really hate to be the one to drop water in a bowl of hot wax but I must. I went to a scion developers meeting a few weeks ago and we met for the sole purpose of discussing the trd supercharger. We basically met to see how many of theses chargers we were estimating would sell and get all the shipping numbers right and so forth............."

"The trd rep was hinting at a range of 250hp. But said that toyota did not want to overpromise and underdeliver so they would stick with 200 for now that way anything higher would please consumers. Along with that talk, there was talks of possible upgrade kits for future release dates like stage 2 and up kits for the charger................

"Toyota has always underpromised and overdelivered........."

Finaly someone that doesn't have their head up their ___. Thanks giving some usefull information without spin.
Thank You for info.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uberscionofglendale
Yeah that's the problem with trd and toyota, if they lowered the price alittle they could possibly sell up to 2 a month, in the end out selling the orignial price point and making more profits because they sold more units, which also provides dealers with more $$$ because of the additional installs.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same here, we have tons of people asking about these chargers but when it's all said and done. I really don't expect to sell more than about 1-3 a month if that. I guess it does help alittle that there is an import drifting contest across the street to generate some hype. Man those cars sound sick!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finaly someone that doesn't have their head up their ___. Thanks giving some usefull information without spin.
Thank You for info.[/quote]

Thanks for the pick me up. It's weird sometimes when you think your doing something good and then you get roasted for it, makes you wonder if you should even say anything or just keep it all to yourself. But hey, I thought it was good info and I felt I should share it.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nairod
Thanks for the pick me up. It's weird sometimes when you think your doing something good and then you get roasted for it, makes you wonder if you should even say anything or just keep it all to yourself. But hey, I thought it was good info and I felt I should share it.

Damn right it was good info. Just take some of the roasts with a grain of salt. There is alot of jadded people out there when it comes to the supercharger (i mean they said it was going to be ready for launch a year ago) If you do a search you will see like thousands of posts on the supercharger so people doubt any post that isnt from scion themselves (yeah hold your breath for a scion rep to logon). So don't worry about them they will stop all thier barkin when the official release is out to us tC owners, and when your pretty much on track with that info they wont say anything, especally wont to appologise for the roast that would be too mature.

Btw: like the avatar, you see the movie info and the release info on halo 3.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Btw: like the avatar, you see the movie info and the release info on halo 3.[/quote]

Thanks I love me some good Halo. And I've heard rumors here and there about a movie but nothing online as of yet. About the release of Halo 3 I heard it was supposed to come out the day PS3 launches. Awesome!!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
Originally Posted by yokillr
who the hell wants to spend that much for 40 horses?

not me.... that's a down payment for a bike...
who wants a bike? the downpayment is enough for a TRD supercharger...
Speak for yourself, my last bike had more hp at the wheel than the tC has at the crank. I'd cut my left nut off before I spent $3500 for 40hp.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not worth it...$4000 is downpayment on a WRX STi or a EVO
Old 06-12-2005, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to say that is a fallicy as long as it is a trd part installed by the dealer and is in new condition (ie) in the box it has the full warranty if you install it yourself it has a 12 month warranty on it.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lets just say for a quick moment the TRD SC puts down 210-235 at the wheels. Not unreasonable when you consider the SRT4 and the new Cobalt SS. 16,500 + 4k = 20.5k ... Right in the line with those cars in price and HP numbers. We all have to wait until the release.. this back and forth is for nothing because we don't know how much HP we get. (I don't care about the warranty). 4k for around 60-70hp would be pretty damn shweet. Lots of us would be quickly finding ways to make the car handle and stop better to keep up with the added vroooom.

Just chill, the numbers will come soon.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea... are there any options no upgrading the SC?

Quick Reply: TRD tc supercharger now taking orders!!!!!!