Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

The truth behind ZPI turbo kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bigjuice
ZPI (ZeroPoint Industries) turbo kit was first finished on their own car 1-2weeks ago. They announced a "debut" of it at Carl Caspers show months ago, and when we went they had the hood closed, and had a front mount on the car with endtank pipes leading to nowhere. Originally they kept talking about "traction problems in 3rd grear," but after they were called out on that, they admitted it wasn't turbo.
ZPI.. say this isn't so.
I'm not sure about this, but they were not on ScionLife "months ago" trying to sell their turbo as completed in any way shape or form. If that is true what was done, pretty funny actually
Old 06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out the video posted here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...410&highlight=

Im no automotive tech, but that turbo looks real to me. Pretty friggin mean too!
Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedheadedStepChild
Check out the video posted here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...410&highlight=

Im no automotive tech, but that turbo looks real to me. Pretty friggin mean too!
Yea, it's really starting to look like haters of ZPI

That's OK Kenny at ZPI. Get this turbo shipping and orders will ROLL in the doors.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if anyone is THAT worried about getting screwed, sign up for legal insurance for $40 a month (or so), buy the kit, and then use your (basically) free legal power to sue if you get screwed. i really don't think you have anything to worry about though.

time will tell... and so will sciondad LOL
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kenny, is there an estimated cost yet for the kit? I tried going to the website, but was unable to do so.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedheadedStepChild
Kenny, is there an estimated cost yet for the kit? I tried going to the website, but was unable to do so.
I'll help you out here. This is their first thread regarding their turbo project and pricing. April 22 is the initial post.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=59080&start=0
Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sciontc8
Originally Posted by English
the question is, is this a competitor or the truth...
I am a complete 3rd party, have no affiliation with any shop, and am not a competitor. I do most all my work personally in my garage, other than welding which I can not do - so I have a local shop do for me, and I pay for it like everyone else does.

ZPI is very good at talking, and pursuading people. I hate to say it, but I am going to guess that for you all to learn about them, people will have to get screwed first.

ZPI, if you "have installed and shipped enough of these kits that our customers can speak for themselves" can you please post up references to the "Dealers" and sponsored cars that you have shipped to so we can speak with them?

Also, can you speak about the MUFFLER SHOP that did all the piping for the kit on your car?
given the lack of *any* personal information listed in this person's profile, I rather suspect that this is a competitor. It wouldn't be the first time someone on SL has attempted to discredit ZPI (the post that suggested ZPI was behind the anonymous rumors redarding scionspeed's delays).

I'm not involved with ZPI at all, haven't pre-ordered with them, haven't bought anything from them. however, I have to say, rarely have I seen the kind of dedication to customer service that ZPI is displaying. They have been *very* forthcoming about every development, regarding their turbos. I've been involved in a few scams, and I just can't see them going though all that trouble, and being that persistent with their communication, if they weren't legit.

Here's a comparison example....most of us know about the tctunerz debacle. There was little to no communication from them for weeks/months. Then all of a sudden, Quick started posting what had happened, and the reasons behind it, but never really did anything to make up for it. ZPI has gone out of it's way to keep people in the loop, even tellinig people about *potential* roadblocks.

At this point, from the above poster, sciontc8, I'm seeing a lot of smoke, and no fire. I rather suspect, that given the lack of specifics and any kind of proof, that he is out to discredit ZPI. Time will tell, but thus far, I'm giving ZPI the benefit of the doubt, not this anonymous poser/poster.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
If anybody would like to stop by our shop at anytime they can see that all we say is legit.

Or just ask Sciondad as he has spy planes watching the place to ensure he gets a turbo kit before his next car show
That's right.....why the long lunch today?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

guys, its a local guy, its not a competitor in the area, as no one shop in louisville is making a scion turbo kit, there are some that definately have the ability to do so, ie see my new manifold that I posted on the previous page.

This isnt a shop war. The claims of injectors not being wired in correctly, that did happen, I was there and here is a gallery of the pictures (note ZPI as far as I could tell form looking over the car and the changes in the fuel tables was not responsible for the car blowing up):

bad injector wirings:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...2164289&idx=17
album:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2132164289

the SRT4 they are talking about, had some strange problems, it was in the 19:1 a/f range on the dyno and there are videos of it out there, but i'm loo lazy to look for it. The car developed some problems somewhere, no clue who was at fault.

I stress, this isn't a shop war, its more of a personal battle between two people. the original poster maybe did want to warn people, but took an approach i wouldn't have.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The kits are going out soon, so it will only be a matter of a month or two before all of the problems/flaws in the design(if any) start coming out of the woodwork.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

Hal,

I don't know what Kenny did to you, but let it go.

Tired of the drama in Louisville,

--nester
Old 06-09-2005, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member

well I have had my ZPI turbo kit for a couple of weeks now and the only design flaw I see is the lack of a LSD as I am going to kill myself getting on the highway.

I have no idea who this sciontc8 is, but he pmed me telling me that he was jealous that I already had my kit and that he wanted one. Then today he makes a post like this? I would say this is an attack on ZPI, personal or business it does not belong on this forum. We want info not slander.

I live in Dyer, IN and love my turbo kit. My best friend is getting one in July and already has the install scheduled. The kit performs just like they said it would, I see no evidence that they have done anything other than what they said they will do to the Scion community and that is to bring us a reliable turbo kit.

I don't get on here much because I work two jobs one for the car and one for the CC bill...But I will try to get on here a few times in the next couple days to answer any questions.

ZPI gets my support everywhere I go and I really do not care about any other past bad expirence. I am glad that they did something wrong as no one is perfrect and they learned from whatever miastake they have made. I know this because I have the kit.

Tyler
Old 06-09-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tylertc
well I have had my ZPI turbo kit for a couple of weeks now and the only design flaw I see is the lack of a LSD as I am going to kill myself getting on the highway.

I have no idea who this sciontc8 is, but he pmed me telling me that he was jealous that I already had my kit and that he wanted one. Then today he makes a post like this? I would say this is an attack on ZPI, personal or business it does not belong on this forum. We want info not slander.

I live in Dyer, IN and love my turbo kit. My best friend is getting one in July and already has the install scheduled. The kit performs just like they said it would, I see no evidence that they have done anything other than what they said they will do to the Scion community and that is to bring us a reliable turbo kit.

I don't get on here much because I work two jobs one for the car and one for the CC bill...But I will try to get on here a few times in the next couple days to answer any questions.

ZPI gets my support everywhere I go and I really do not care about any other past bad expirence. I am glad that they did something wrong as no one is perfrect and they learned from whatever miastake they have made. I know this because I have the kit.

Tyler
Old 06-09-2005, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

Just know that you have been warned. People like to say "I told you so". You all get the better end of the deal since they are not installing your parts. Any idiot can part together a turbo kit. Hell for 3 grand I could have chosen alot better parts, but hey it's your money.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The main problem people are having with believing you is that you have only belonged to this site for like a day, and we dont know if your working for scion speed, or one of the competitors. This information would be taken with more weight had it come from someone from this site like sciondad, engifineer, or oldman who all have an established reputation.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been young, middle age and now more getting up there. I've had shops that I've been part owner fail, etc. I've always tried to make sure that even failed that the customers got their due, at the expense of me and mine. I hope that these younger guys will also learn and whatever else make sure that the customer is at least taken care of.

After being in automotive for 30 years, I can say many many many customers are really butt heads, and getting blamed is part of this. I had one guy that I did rims and tires on his 4x4, he blew off his driveshaft going 4 wheeling tried to sue to have me replace the shaft and damages cause the tires I sold to him had too much grip I could go on for hours, hey you sold me a header and I blew the engine with 300 HP of N20 cause the header made it too lean... whatever.

ZPI are young guys, I hope they don't mess up, I did not expect the kit on the 1st of this month, I really don't expect it next month either. I do expect them to do the job and deliver the kit sometime, as I like what they said about using a good small turbo and this is what I would have spec if I made my own kit (which I would have used an alphwerks cast exhaust manifold). That said I'm way too old and am working on a $100 million dollar project that I'm the primary technology coordinator, so it is my job not to screw up at work, hence I'll let younger future experts develop a kit that I would have spec myself.

I’m in this a month, and the truth be known, I am now thinking anything short of 6 months is reasonable. I expect it, I’ve been around; hence I got on ScionSpeed for picking on ZPI cause SS’s stuff is going on 7 months overdue. Maybe I’m just punch drunk from waiting on the TRD supercharger, don’t know. Many of you guys know I’m ready to walk on Scion and get me a RSX-S, Cobalt, Mustang GT, Audi A3 just because I don’t want to full around with my ride just to get it to perform as well as a GT or SRT (too bad these were not so so so so UGLY), I may even just keep my Jetta.

On the VTEC, I notice you don’t got a A/C at that point I’d say no thanks dude cause 350 WHP with no A/C is IMO a lot worst then 250 WHP with A/C. So VTEC don’t scare me as much as 110 degree Texas heat. I don’t care how fast it is if I can fry an egg on my dash and the eyecandy gets her face all melty. Just ribbing ya of course as I’m sure your ride could body slam mine…..
Old 06-09-2005, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmm. it is wierd seeing someone post information like myself and others were against tctunerz. the only thing is that tctunerz shot themselves in the foot after people gave them a chance. i would personally give zpi a chance if they had products that i was intersted in at a time of purchase. i have only seen oe post talking about bad about zpi, but it turned out being someone over reacting.

to the people discrediting zpi, do you have proof of the information you talk about instead of just posting opinioins?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tylertc

Tyler
Why would he want a scion turbo kit? If he owned one maybe I would believe this, Now your post makes me wonder, do you have some pics posted of the kit on your car? perhaps a video would be nice. I dont own a scion however I know of ZPI and many of their shortcomings. I am sorry but they have a shady past and I dont see many changes. Alot of people lost money and didn't get it back. However kenny rolls about 4 late model performance cars while other not so fortunate people still dont have their money and still got dicked over. I know this is a personal non-shop oriented argument, even tho Kenny tried to bend it that way. It's normal to think someone who is new on her is jealous when their first post is similar to what sciontc8's but I do believe he was giving a legitimate warning to you guys. Just as I would have, had i found this forum and posts first. It's all good tho, guys who ordered the kits, best of luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by oldman
On the VTEC, I notice you don’t got a A/C at that point I’d say no thanks dude cause 350 WHP with no A/C is IMO a lot worst then 250 WHP with A/C. So VTEC don’t scare me as much as 110 degree Texas heat. I don’t care how fast it is if I can fry an egg on my dash and the eyecandy gets her face all melty. Just ribbing ya of course as I’m sure your ride could body slam mine…..
That's just his race car - he has an Infiniti G35 for daily driving duties ;)
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oldman

nah, kenny said he wanted to do a dyno war between the scion and myself, i'm pretty sure he was talking about thier stage V or top kit that kills the AC. either way, my hatchback is my weekend warrior. My daily driver is my 2004 G35c. The hatch is just my local project that's i've worked on for 3yrs now. i've went through more turbo manifolds and turbo than most can imagine, as I get bored and constantly want something new and unique as i push for more power. Last year i went 11.75, this year i hope to go much faster.

Oldman, I respect you the most out of anyone on here, as you seem to really understand what CUSTOM fabrication is. I know the picture of my hatch that I posted just recently got the new topmount turbo manifold, it ran close to 2 months late. BUt I expected this and therefore didn't get all _____y.

But young people don't understand this, they want more power and they want it now, which will lead to issues.

Quick Reply: The truth behind ZPI turbo kit.