Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

The truth behind ZPI turbo kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by seen4ever
But young people don't understand this, they want more power and they want it now, which will lead to issues.
I like to think of myself as the exception to this. I am only 19, but would way rather have a turbo kit that takes 2+ years to come out but is extremely reliable than one that doesn't have a lot of R&D and because of this has a lot of problems. It is always better (and usually cheaper in the long run) to do it right the first time.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

Yes, I have been most impressed with Oldman's posts.. If the name doesn't give it away, the posts do.. lots of wisdom.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrv2000
But young people don't understand this, they want more power and they want it now, which will lead to issues.
I like to think of myself as the exception to this. I am only 19, but would way rather have a turbo kit that takes 2+ years to come out but is extremely reliable than one that doesn't have a lot of R&D and because of this has a lot of problems. It is always better (and usually cheaper in the long run) to do it right the first time.

Guys, making a turbo kit is incredibly easy, tuning a car that was made to be NA to be FI and having it still get good gas mileage and make good power is where the problems come in. Making a turbo kit is really just buying a properly sized turbo and getting the right materials and a compenent welder. Really its not rocket science. ensuring the ECU doesn't freak out is where the problem comes in.

getting a good part trottle tune is the most important aspect that my customers want from me. There are a few with over 400whp, but they still can get 30+mpg if they keep thier foot out of the pedal.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

TylerTC says:
well I have had my ZPI turbo kit for a couple of weeks now and the only design flaw I see is the lack of a LSD as I am going to kill myself getting on the highway.
TylerTC says on another ZPI thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...66963&start=25
I have had my stage 1 kit for about three weeks now, they have to send me a new turbo inlent pipe with an extra barb or something in it.
So which one is it? 2 weeks or three weeks?
I'll wait until I see the pictures of the turbo on most SL member's cars and not just ZPI's or SS's cars. It should be very soon from what I've read unless there's anymore last minute problems that was discovered.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

wow. semantic debate..
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

que circus music please
Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now is that CIRCUS or CARNIVAL?! LOL
Old 06-09-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bodjie
TylerTC says:
well I have had my ZPI turbo kit for a couple of weeks now and the only design flaw I see is the lack of a LSD as I am going to kill myself getting on the highway.
TylerTC says on another ZPI thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...66963&start=25
I have had my stage 1 kit for about three weeks now, they have to send me a new turbo inlent pipe with an extra barb or something in it.
So which one is it? 2 weeks or three weeks?
I'll wait until I see the pictures of the turbo on most SL member's cars and not just ZPI's or SS's cars. It should be very soon from what I've read unless there's anymore last minute problems that was discovered.
You're hanging on the fact that he said a couple and then 3 in another thread?! Not everyone thinks of a couple of weeks as 2, it was probably just an approximation. Stop being so ****.

Aside from that, I'd love to see pics of it myself.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member

especially since he didnt post pics cause they didnt want him too.. WTF lol that's good stuff, dont show our product off!!! that would be free advertising.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member

we dont know if your working for scion speed, or one of the competitors.
Scionspeed is not involved in these accusations in any way, shape, or form.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ikonXone

to the people discrediting zpi, do you have proof of the information you talk about instead of just posting opinioins?
See pictures posted from seen4ever in one of the threads. There is proof I just think alot of you are to young and inexperienced to see it. No one on here cares about shops they are just tyring to give you all a background on a shop that has a very shaddy past. People dont miraculously change, "once a tramp always a tramp".

I can assure you no one here discrediting ZPI is a competitor. There is not enough demand locally for Scions for anyshop to really put an effort for a scion kit Much bigger fish to worry about. Like I have said before, its your money. Personally knowing their rep would turn me away and 3000 bucks for the kit you get is not that good of a deal. Learn a little bit and you will find out you can get a better DIY kit for alot cheaper. Inexperienced I tell you.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jamasco_Race_Eng
we dont know if your working for scion speed, or one of the competitors.
Scionspeed is not involved in these accusations in any way, shape, or form.
I just used you guys as an example. I didnt mean to put blame onto you since I dont have any proof of this.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i know when i was frantically searching for an O2 sensor sim. and no one else was making one (unless you've got the alphawerks header) which ____ed me off. i called ZPI and talked to kenny and they told me that they had one in the works and wasnt finished testing and he told me that up-front, and said if i wanted it then i could have it but since the testing wasnt finished he couldnt give me a warranty with it or i could wait until the testing was done and if successful he'd send it to me with a warranty, but if it didnt he would refund my money to me. so i did that, trusting him and their company and he called me after the weekend telling me the testing was successful and was sending it out that day........i know there is a big differance between a o2 sim. and a turbo kit.....expecially price wise but with my brief experience with them and kenny.....they were honest and prompt....so i dont think anyone will have any issues with them and if so have good faith they will fix it......hope this helps with some opinions
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

O2 simulators are all over the place, was it one that plugged into the factory harness or is it something like this:

http://www.wiredspeed.com/store/prod...=ECG-O2SIM&eq=
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by VitaminV
See pictures posted from seen4ever in one of the threads. There is proof.
The bottom line on that is.. the owner of that car said very clearly.. actually, let me quote his post..

It is not the shops falt at all. Nothing that they done would of ever caused the motor to blow. The just did a simple bolt on turbo kit that toped out at 7.8psi. Me, Sean (seen4ever) and Brian (DrVTEC99) looked it over carefully for about 2 hours before we brought it up here. So it is not Zero Points falt at all. My motor just gave up on life.
Things happen, engines blow up. The fact of the matter is, if ZPI made 1000whp on pumpgas on the stock block with the Scion and drove it to work every day for a year, the local haters would still hate.

None of them have first hand knowledge of any thing, every story they tell starts with "Well, I heard" or "X told me that".. and then they get their friends to hate via proxy. No one can tell me why they hate, when you ask for examples, they change the subject.

I don't work for ZPI, I am friends with the people that work there. I am friends with Kenny. He's a really nice guy, who does all sorts of nice things for people, even when he probably shouldn't. He's invited me into his shop, his home, and his cars..

I can't wait to get a Scion so ZPI can install a kit on it, and I can ream the streets of louisville.

Eff the haters.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O2 simulators are all over the place, was it one that plugged into the factory harness or is it something like this:

Our 02 sims are plug and play...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
now is that CIRCUS or CARNIVAL?! LOL
Carnival
Old 06-09-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VitaminV
People dont miraculously change, "once a tramp always a tramp".
don't know I was a um how shall we say this, kind of popular with the ladies when I was young

But nowdays I'm a solid family man

Young peole make mistakes and grow out of it. Henry Ford went bankrupt several times...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing

nice!

Our 02 sims are plug and play...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy cow, I feel like im sittin in Louisville right now...Scionlife Noob City. Hey guys, after the town meeting I want to go drinking, but I dont know any local spots?

Quick Reply: The truth behind ZPI turbo kit.