Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Tsudo Mid Pipe... Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 PM
SL Member

Default Tsudo Mid Pipe... Help Please

Before you tell me to search, i did and all i came up with was talkin about the axle back install. And the pics on the install of the entire cat back are down.

So i installed my tsudo midpipe to my tanabe concept g axle back and there are a few questions since the install was pretty rough and it rattles and sits touching the heatshield in the middle of the car

First is about the cone gaskets...
Should i use the stock cone gasket when connecting to the mid pipe to s pipe? Right now i just have the thin gasket that came with the mid pipe.

Should i use the stock cone gasket to connect to the axle back, or use the one that came with the midpipe cuz the one that came with the mid pipe is pretty big.

Right now this is the setup:
Spipe-Thin Gasket-First section-Gasket-Second section-stock cone gasket-tanabe axle back

Second is about the midpipe resting up against the heat shield...
The hangers are welded to the bottom of the midpipe. so when i connect them to the rubber thing that holds it up, the resonator is touching the nut that holds the heatshield up

Im at work right now and am gonna try to fix it when i get home so any help now would be really helpful

THANK IN ADVANCE!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

re: the cone gaskets (i think i know them as donut gaskets), if the stock one fits(between the mid and axelback), you can use either i guess. but if it came with one, i'd try that one first.

re: mid touching the heat shield, you can try looking for longer rubber hangers to allow for more clearance, orrrr...you could try bending the hangers on the actual mid. be careful obviously, you dont wanna snap it, cuz then you'll really be screwed.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the tsudo midpipe and i ran into the same problem as you, this is what i did to fix it as it was murder on my ears everytime i hit a bump it sounded like my shifter was popping, i cut off the bracket that holds the heatshield and took a couple tiny sheet metal self tapping screws and screwed the heat shield into the frame and waalla no more killer noise. i tried getting longer hangers too butt the longer they get the lower your exhaust hangs and that can be really bad if your car is lowered to as mine is. just cut off that bracket. and use the oem hangers, any more questionns feel free to pm me, as for the gasket thing the s-pipe to midpipe gasket is the thin gasket only.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by locondcoco
re: the cone gaskets (i think i know them as donut gaskets), if the stock one fits(between the mid and axelback), you can use either i guess. but if it came with one, i'd try that one first.

re: mid touching the heat shield, you can try looking for longer rubber hangers to allow for more clearance, orrrr...you could try bending the hangers on the actual mid. be careful obviously, you dont wanna snap it, cuz then you'll really be screwed.
I acutally tried to use the "donut" gasket that came with the mid pipe, but it was too big, i couldn't get the bolts with the springs to grab the threads on the axle back.

And i was thinking that the stock rubber hangers would still be able to keep it from being against the heat shield. But i guess i can try to get longer ones from kragen or some place
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by makaveli510
i have the tsudo midpipe and i ran into the same problem as you, this is what i did to fix it as it was murder on my ears everytime i hit a bump it sounded like my shifter was popping, i cut off the bracket that holds the heatshield and took a couple tiny sheet metal self tapping screws and screwed the heat shield into the frame and waalla no more killer noise. i tried getting longer hangers too butt the longer they get the lower your exhaust hangs and that can be really bad if your car is lowered to as mine is. just cut off that bracket. and use the oem hangers, any more questionns feel free to pm me, as for the gasket thing the s-pipe to midpipe gasket is the thin gasket only.
Ill probably try your resolution to the heatshield problem as a last resort since i dont want to be screwing thing into the frame.

And thank for the gasket resolution
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM
SL Member

Ok so i drove out to lunch today, and my car vibrated a lot wen i started it and then settled down. Also some of the sound from the exhaust seems like its coming from the front... so im guessing i have to fix my spipe to midpipe connection
Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by makaveli510
i have the tsudo midpipe and i ran into the same problem as you, this is what i did to fix it as it was murder on my ears everytime i hit a bump it sounded like my shifter was popping, i cut off the bracket that holds the heatshield and took a couple tiny sheet metal self tapping screws and screwed the heat shield into the frame and waalla no more killer noise.
that's exactly what i did. worked perfectly
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
SL Member

Which bolts should i use to connect the midpipe to the stock spipe. right now im using the stock ones since it seems the ones that came with the exhuast are too big.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the stock ones fit, go for it.