Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Twin-charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

Default Twin-charging

I was just wondering if anyone has thought about twin-charging there tC? I was just wondering.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i dunno if there is enough room in the engien bay, well maybe if u move the battery to the back and played around.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Twin-charging

Originally Posted by ProfoundMoron
I was just wondering if anyone has thought about twin-charging there tC? I was just wondering.
What do you mean "Twin Charging"?

Twin turbo, Turbo + supercharged....?

Actually I was contemplating something like that.....
Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been since before the launch of the tC

It's a Supercharger + a turbo.

There is PLENTY of room under the hood for that.

They're twin charging MINI Coopers right now SPI is anyway.

I'm sure the results would be incredible on a tC.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm Interesting concept, makes sense. Have the supercharger feed the turbo, I think that would virtually eliminate lag and you hit maximum boost very early. Plus in that setup the boost from the supercharger spinning the turbo instead of the exhaust, the charge would maybe be cooler.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SPI is famous for twin turboing stuff... there located right down the street from my parents..
Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's absolutely ridiculously useless. The amount of money spent on fuel management alone would set you back more than the power increase is worth.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with the 2.4liters and low compression i think this engine would respond well to it. other needing a standalone unit and tons of testing it would be wild.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe a sequential twin turbo setup would be more feasible? **greddy cough cough read this**
Old 04-21-2005, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sublime
That's absolutely ridiculously useless. The amount of money spent on fuel management alone would set you back more than the power increase is worth.
Not really... I can see a twin charge tC hitting 400+hp for about $6k

SPi has a twin Charged MINI or two... The gains made by it are the most in the MINI community. Fasted 1/4 mile MINI on the planet so far. The MINI powerplant is very tough to add HUGE HP to. Which is why we have yet to see a MINI Break 300hp. But the Twin Charge MCS is even more advanced and faster than the MINIUSA "Drag" MINI.

Unfortunately, a MINI with that much HP loses it's nimbleness through a tight road course.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder how many times you'll fill up your tank in a week
Old 04-21-2005, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bdballer69
i wonder how many times you'll fill up your tank in a week
Yeah but think of all the fun you would have on the track.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Off the wall question,but.. how much PSI and thrust does the exhaust produce off the header at the 3k-5k rpm range?

Having a Supercharger run a Turbo doesnt seem like it would produce that much more PSI. Even then i wouldnt see why you would need more fuel supply if you had this twin charging over a single turbo? Turbos now can over PSI our 2.4's without any issue and you would still have to stay within limits

Spooling would be the only benefit, but again the Supercharger takes HP to run it.

anyways just a thought.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

So...how would I start to figure out how to do a twin-charging set up...I mean, how could I find out what kind of turbo and what kind of supercharger to use, where to put them in the car, stuff like that? I mean...nobody has done this yet...so obviously there's not kit for it or anything...oh and which would be more effective, the supercharger or the turbo first? etc. etc. etc. anyone?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People seem to have some misconceptions here...

There are alot of reasons why this is a terrible idea on the tC.

1) Some people were talking about the air going through the supercharger, through the turbocharger, and into the engine. This would produce a very large amount of boost with high variation. The reason is this: the air coming out of the supercharger has already been compressed past the 14.7 psi of atmospheric pressure. So, for simplicity's sake, say a turbocharger normally compresses the air at a 2:1 ratio. So, normally, it will take the ~15 psi of atmospheric pressure and compress it it 30 psi.

Now, if the air coming out of the supercharger is at, say 20 psi, the turbocharger will (at least try) to compress air at the same 2:1 ratio, and produce 40psi. This system would produce unreliable amounts of boost because with a centrifugal type supercharger (I'm assuming people are talking about adding a turbo to the TRD system which may or may not ever come out) the power application is similar to a turbo: boost increases with rpm. The result would be what is probably uncontrollable amounts of boost at higher RPM's. It would be a tuning NIGHTMARE.

2) People are under the impression that it would reduce turbo lag, but this is not the case, at least with a centrifugal style turbo. You would need a roots (screw) type supercharger to reduce lag, and even then the system would be hideously complex and expensive.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProfoundMoron
So...how would I start to figure out how to do a twin-charging set up...I mean, how could I find out what kind of turbo and what kind of supercharger to use, where to put them in the car, stuff like that? I mean...nobody has done this yet...so obviously there's not kit for it or anything...oh and which would be more effective, the supercharger or the turbo first? etc. etc. etc. anyone?
My personal advice to you would be to not waste your time. For those saying that there is plenty of room in the engine bay, then I think they need to look at the bay of a turbo charged tC and then at the bay of a supercharged tC. The turbo and turbo manifold sit directly in the path of the supercharger. Even if you were to relocate the battery and move the supercharger further over, you would still have a problem with the turbo and turbo manifold interfering w/ the supercharger shaft.

Turbo charged

Not to mention the plumbing, which would be a complete nightmare. Trust me, a well built and designed super or turbo charged system can provide any amount of power that you want. For the money that you would spend on R&D, parts, and labor for a setup that you're talking about, you could have built a 2AZ w/ a bullet proof bottom end and a super or turbo charged setup putting out as much boost as you like along w/ the needed electronic a/f management.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's possible... there's plenty of room
Old 04-21-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

Alright...this is a bit off topic...but would there be enough room to drop in the camry's 3.3l V6 engine, and then turbo charge that?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are thinking about the "CURRENT" supercgharger options.
If the guys at SPi can cram a twincharge unit in a MINI.... they or another pro, can do it.

And being the owner of both a MINI and a tC, the tC has far more space to work with. :?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

when you say twincharge, are you talking about supercharger+turbo or Turbo + turbo.

In theory the supercharger + turbo should work, but controllable amounts of compressed air go into the engine, with does break down the engine, and makes tuning near impossible. its better to have just one small turbo, and one larger turbo.

Quick Reply: Twin-charging