Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Twin-charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) Some people were talking about the air going through the supercharger, through the turbocharger, and into the engine. This would produce a very large amount of boost with high variation. The reason is this: the air coming out of the supercharger has already been compressed past the 14.7 psi of atmospheric pressure. So, for simplicity's sake, say a turbocharger normally compresses the air at a 2:1 ratio. So, normally, it will take the ~15 psi of atmospheric pressure and compress it it 30 psi.
I wouldnt go into numbers there, except if you know whatk ind of core you have in you hands. I have seen an Eclipse GS with a 16G turbo ( the same one as ZPI are using on their their and and turbo kits) running 5.5 PSI and having 260-280 whp. Even thou there are a lot of things that depend on each other. But back to the topic i would start talking about tiwn charged tc when i see some tc's ectualy turbo charged and super charged and we know what we are dealing with.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a centrifugal supercharger type(i.e. vortech) and a turbo would be a tight fit or it might not even fit at all. if you were to twin charge the motor, most people would do a eaton style supercharger(i.e. jackson racing, replaces the stock intake manifold) and a turbo.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/Vi...eIndexID=45244

here is a old pic of a RB26DETT

Old 04-21-2005, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
a centrifugal supercharger type(i.e. vortech) and a turbo would be a tight fit or it might not even fit at all. if you were to twin charge the motor, most people would do a eaton style supercharger(i.e. jackson racing, replaces the stock intake manifold) and a turbo.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/Vi...eIndexID=45244

here is a old pic of a RB26DETT

THAT is one gorgeously beautiful engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
THAT is one gorgeously beautiful engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only point in sequentially mounting compressors is to use one to make up for the loss of compression from the other. i.e. On a big turbo, turbo spool takes longer to generate compression and thus turbo lag. You could use a supercharger to help out with the additional compression while the turbo is spooling, but when it finally generates it's compression then you have to compressors and only need one. (Two compressors eating HP when not needed) You would use a variable compression valve to release the extra compression and keep you from popping the motor. One little supercharger and a turbo would work but in the end parasitic loss is going to catch up and you are going to be producing alot of wasted compression. Very expensive to make up for a little turbo lag.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionGTR
1) Some people were talking about the air going through the supercharger, through the turbocharger, and into the engine. This would produce a very large amount of boost with high variation. The reason is this: the air coming out of the supercharger has already been compressed past the 14.7 psi of atmospheric pressure. So, for simplicity's sake, say a turbocharger normally compresses the air at a 2:1 ratio. So, normally, it will take the ~15 psi of atmospheric pressure and compress it it 30 psi.
I wouldnt go into numbers there, except if you know whatk ind of core you have in you hands. I have seen an Eclipse GS with a 16G turbo ( the same one as ZPI are using on their their and and turbo kits) running 5.5 PSI and having 260-280 whp. Even thou there are a lot of things that depend on each other. But back to the topic i would start talking about tiwn charged tc when i see some tc's ectualy turbo charged and super charged and we know what we are dealing with.
I was using the numbers because they were simple and proved a point. I wasnsn't actually saying that someone was going to shove 30 psi into a tc. That would be lunacy.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa...look at that thing
Old 04-24-2005, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member

That engine is a piece of ART.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The main advantage IMO would come from using two turbos, one smaller and one larger, to provide more constant acceleration under higher boost. Using two turbos opens up a few more options in placement. The piping and hardware would be tough to pack in there... but it may not be impossible. But it would definitely be a large project!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
The main advantage IMO would come from using two turbos, one smaller and one larger, to provide more constant acceleration under higher boost. Using two turbos opens up a few more options in placement. The piping and hardware would be tough to pack in there... but it may not be impossible. But it would definitely be a large project!
Twin turbos on an inline 4 is ridiculous... They simply aren't as effective on inline engines as a single, properly sized turbo. Why is it that all the Supra guys making real power replace the factory twin turbo setup with a single turbo? Because a single, properly sized turbocharger will start spooling at low rpm's and continue making power to redline. A good example is the 14b on the 1st gen DSM's.

If anyone did this it would be for show and not practicality.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

of course a single turbo on the I4 for the tC would be smarter, but this thread is about twin-charging, and thats why we are all talking about twin _____chargers
Old 04-24-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
of course a single turbo on the I4 for the tC would be smarter, but this thread is about twin-charging, and thats why we are all talking about twin _____chargers
you're all wasting your time because it's retarded.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mediocre Generica
Originally Posted by engifineer
Twin turbos on an inline 4 is ridiculous... They simply aren't as effective on inline engines as a single, properly sized turbo. Why is it that all the Supra guys making real power replace the factory twin turbo setup with a single turbo? Because a single, properly sized turbocharger will start spooling at low rpm's and continue making power to redline. A good example is the 14b on the 1st gen DSM's.

If anyone did this it would be for show and not practicality.
I never said it was practical, just speaking to the justification of running twin charging and whether or not it would fit under the hood of a tC.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Its just a simple discussion, and no one really said they wanted to try it. Stop trying to turn it into an "I know more about such and such than you" conversation. I know plenty about the subject, and would not even try it on a tC. I dont understand why some have to get all bent out of shape over someone elses conversation and start making childish quotes like the one above.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice
Old 04-24-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

practicallity?

Neither a turbo OR supercharger are considered "practical" on their own.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well... if the guys who did the mini make a kit for the supercharger turbo set up. i would deff think abuot getting it. just because i can say i have a twin charged engein and i can go poop on an rsx.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not only would it poop on most cars out there, but the setup would look F'n awesome, i would love to have it.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a great setup.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kwc5811
The only point in sequentially mounting compressors is to use one to make up for the loss of compression from the other. i.e. On a big turbo, turbo spool takes longer to generate compression and thus turbo lag. You could use a supercharger to help out with the additional compression while the turbo is spooling, but when it finally generates it's compression then you have to compressors and only need one. (Two compressors eating HP when not needed) You would use a variable compression valve to release the extra compression and keep you from popping the motor. One little supercharger and a turbo would work but in the end parasitic loss is going to catch up and you are going to be producing alot of wasted compression. Very expensive to make up for a little turbo lag.
very well said, BUT it would look cool , lol. No actually it is a pretty good idea in theory, you use a LARGE turbo, so that you move ALOT of air at low boost levels, a turbo this large would normally be very "lazy" to spool, but with the SC "mechanically" cramming air into the engine lag wouldnt be an issue, and by using a big turbo, realize that a large turbo at say 10psi will be moving alot more air than a small turbo at the same boost level and only making a few lbs of boost, the turbo would be barely working and wouldnt be heating the charge hardly at all, and the turbo would all but make up for the parasitic loss of the SC, by putting say 10 psi and a couple hundred CFM of + pressure into the - side of the SC, would make it alot easier for the engine to turn, b ut then again you would have to buy 2 compressers, whenm one "properly sized on would work just fine, there I go blabing again lol

Quick Reply: Twin-charging