Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Uh.. HELP!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Uh.. HELP!?!

Hey y'all,

I am the current owner of a 2005 scion tc, pretty much stock except for a hks exhaust (axle back) and a k and n air filter. The car is a a 5 speed manual, 134k. I love this car, it's awesome. Anyways.. On to my problem..

I was driving yesterday from my current base to the bank. Just hopped in the car and took off. The car sits in a parking lot they have set aside for us, it was around.. 85-90' and sunny. So within two minutes of driving.. The car just shut off. I was going about 30 mph.. So I coast to the side of the road.. Wait a second.. Try to start it and all it does is crank. All power works, engine temp was normal..just wouldn't start.. Wait about a minute and it starts up and runs perfect..so I continue on to the bank, when I notice the check engine light comes on. So after the bank, I stop at autozone and have them read the code. It comes up as p2112. Throttle actuator something along those lines. Once I get back in the car.. The check engine light is now off and the car is still running fine.. Accelerates, decelerates same amount of power etc.. I continue driving it and then I notice the rpms will rise and drop from 600-1500 for a few seconds. Then it will stop and idle fine at around 6-900 rpm( not sure on the exact number)

My question is..what the ____ is going on? I have to drive to Ohio in 10 days and I'm in flordia.. Will my car be okay? What's causing this? I d tried googling a d searching. It with little luck.. So someone please help!!! Keep in mind he car is not over heating or losing power..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like there is a problem with the drive-by-wire throttle body, and the car is having trouble manipulating it to allow the car to idle.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This isn't for the 2AZ-FE, but it is for Toyota, probably applies to your situation: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...ta/0050048.pdf
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
This isn't for the 2AZ-FE, but it is for Toyota, probably applies to your situation: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...ta/0050048.pdf
So.. How do I attempt to fix this??
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to inspect and measure readings on the throttle body actuator to determine if it is working properly or not. see if there is any obvious corrision or contamination that might be binding or holding the throttle body and preventing it from working. the problem is the throttle body is located in a hard to reach and see place between the engine and the fire wall.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or the TB and/or intake is dirty and will need cleaning... if OEM intake. Check the filter. Easier fix than mechanically diagnosing. Most likely won't be mechanical but just simple overlooked maintenance

Sent from my I727 rocket on Marz! @_@