Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

unichip at trdsparks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
sparks, how are you marketing this product? Are you saying that there is a generic (real safe) tune on it and people are running it like that? For the unichip I would have thought getting it tuned on a dyno would be mandatory

When I called unichip and asked about a professional tune they said it wasn't needed. They have a bunch of N/A tunes for various intake, header, and exhaust setups even down to the specific brand. Nothing for FI though (except turbonetics map) so I guess if you are boosted you need to get it tuned.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ i had no clue they offered such. They didnt use to a few years ago. I had a tune with my s/c setup and had a nice line ontop of my stock - max was 8whp more but atleast the hp was higher then stock consistantly - but that was with a tuner on a dyno so i dont know what this product yields
Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems like they offer more now. One thing I thought was cool was supposedly with the header map you don't need to use an antifouler to prevent a CEL, the unichip map takes care of it.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by prighello
Did you install yet? How is the performance?
Sorry I've been REALLY busy, I do all the international work here and so have not had time to get onto the forums like I would like to.

I was able to install it about three weeks ago and I felt more of a difference putting this UNICHIP on than when I layed down the $650.00 for the TRD intake and Borla exhaust! It was a definate noticeable difference and even at higher speeds you can feel the car pull a lot harder than it used to. Now its not going to feel like a turbo/supercharger was installed, but you will feel a difference. I've put 5 tanks of gas in (all set to the premium fuel setting) and have not had any problems whatsoever. In fact I've been getting an average of 3mpg better than what I was getting before! It comes with two maps that you can select with the switch of a button (premium fuel, regular fuel), then has 3 more map spots open if you add or change mods later and go to a UNICHIP tuner to get the maps updated.

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
sparks, how are you marketing this product? Are you saying that there is a generic (real safe) tune on it and people are running it like that? For the unichip I would have thought getting it tuned on a dyno would be mandatory
Nope, UNICHIP already has quite a few base tunes for different mods that our Scions have so these are literally plug and play for NA Scions. The boosted guys will have to get a tune though unfortunately.

Jamie
Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any unichip tuners in NJ
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

lol - there are no tuners at all in nj that people are going to on the regular - one of the richest states but nobody to tune
Old 10-30-2009, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this is next on my xB. I have the TRD CAI and the Borla single ($600 total), so this would be another good add for power.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

good forum. I've be looking at unichip for a long time. I will probably get one now. I have a injen cai and apexi n1 exhaust. Maybe if I get this and a header I can keep up with the si. LoL
Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I contacted Unichip via email asking some additional questions about this piggyback. They claim that they are the only piggyback able to advance timing on the stock ECM. Not MY claim, but theirs. I know many other systems can retard timing, but with my NA tC at high altitude, this intrigues me. There are three Unichip tuners in my state I can visit if I need to, but I was mainly looking for something I could adjust myself.

In addition to the two MAP's they offer preloaded, I asked about making changes myself. The Unichip Engineer indicated that in the next couple months, they will release a programmer for the enthusiast, not the full blown expensive one the shops have with their dyno.

I'm still considering this, but if their claim is true about advancing timing with the stock ECM, I will probably buy one soon.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thought I'd paste the email.
The Unichip gives the tuner full control over the timing & fueling of the TC. If you try to advance the timing too far the knocksensor will tell the ECU to take timing out; it's really fail-safe. Since the Unichip is the only product that can add timing it is unrivalled as a tuning option on Toyota/Scion.

The Flux software only works on handheld devices which run Windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0. This is not our tuning software though. We are poised to release a cheaper version of our Tuner kit designed specifically for private users; it will cost $290 & it will be available for sale on our website pretty shortly.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

any updates?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of update you looking for?

Tim
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just an update on how the gains were from people who have bought this and if anyone has dynoed it yet besides the one on your site. im very interested in getting this.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have recently installed one on the wifes tC and it made a great difference in power. I have installed an Injen CAI, Strup header and Dezod S-Pipe back exhaust on the car. The car has more horsepower and better gas mileage than before without the UniChip. We have just recently switched it over to premium fuel and you can tell it is cleaning everything out. We don't have any accurate or good dyno's near us in Myrtle Beach, so unfortunately I cannot get a good reading. Let me know if this helps!

Tim
Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

definetly helps so can you feel a difference between the switch that uses 93 and the one that uses 87?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah! Big difference for me as well in my 08 xB. I'd like to add that the UNICHIP also can remove the speed limiter for the xB (sorry tC's ) and I have it tuned for my TRD CAI and Borla Dual Exhaust. Its getting tuned again for the Descendant Intake Manifold and next its going to be commanding my Descendant Turbo kit. Its a beast and can handle a lot more than most people think. Usually the guys that say it doesn't do anything either don't have it tuned right or have unreal expectations. If your car isn't boosted, don't expect to get boosted gains in HP from a retune. You can ask anyone that knows me and my xB, its fast for a NA xB, real fast .

Jamie
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

man that sucks for the speed limiter but i really dont need to go that fast anyways but have you tested it on a track 1/4 or 1/8? id be interested to know how much it could help lower the time.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haven't taken it to the track yet, I'd like to but I don't really run 1/4 or 1/8 mile runs. I'm more into auto-x and road racing (not street racing).

Jamie
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM
SL Member

Man i gotta get a unichip this spring for my SC and id like to give the good people at Sparks my sale but i still have no confirmation that they can get a pre SC tuned unichip (which has been proven to exist). Might just have to buy directly from Unichip. :/
Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have the tune for the pre SC tuned. Or do you mean with the SC? Pre SC means before SC. The last guy that asked us if we could tune it for the SC also had a 9.5lb pulley which UNICHIP does not have. Whatever UNICHIP has I can get because I work direct with them :-).

Quick Reply: unichip at trdsparks?