Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

UPDATE:In need of some help..badly...again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default UPDATE:In need of some help..badly...again.

This goes more in drivetrain then electrical I believe. Today i was driving back from good old WalMart, hitting the gas, and then let off. As i let off, i noticed one hell of a hard shift. I mean hard. Look over the RPM says 0. Coolant Temp is down as well. Mind you i am doing 60, so i decide to hit neutral, and crank car back up, hoping to get it back going w/o a wreck. No luck

Pull over, and freak out for about 30 seconds. Check the fuse box under the hood. 20A EFI is blown. Wierd, but ok...it happens.

Change it to the only spare i have, the 30A. Good to go, i'll get one tomorrow when Advance opens. Get home, take off, dies again.. WTF man...

Something keeps popping the fuses. I have went through 5 just trying to get to where i can park overnight, im stranded at college.

has this happened to anyone else, and if so what is going on???

Last mods were spark plugs about month ago, and header about 6-7 months ago. Have noticed some loss of take off about 3 months ago, thought is was temp outside or car warming up.

Any ideas, i have no where to start.

Thanks

UPDATE:
Today this happened again. Guys i really need some help here. Threw the spare i have in there, got me home, but this is my only method of transportation. Any ideas you have please help me out here.

Last edited by 3min3m2; 09-25-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: pPdate
Old 09-05-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First thing I gotta ask is how many miles on the car? How old? if you might be able to get it fixed under warranty I would try that first before tinkering with it.

But if you are unable to get it fixed under warranty my advice would be to get a wire diagram of the EFI circuit and check everything. Check to make sure you don't have a bad ground, check for corrosion in the wires, etc..
Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I had a similar problem, but mine was blowing the ECU Ignition fuse....the dealership found a short under the dash....and $1100 it was good as new
Old 09-05-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

2006, 60k miles, no warranty, and $1100 seriously. i will get a diff car b4 then.

So looking for a random short...great...
Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

mine would blow the fuse whenever I hit a bump....and yes....$1100. They had to remove the entire dash to get to the short, they had my car for 3 weeks you may be able to locate the problem yourself.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ 3 weeks? damn that's a lot of down time even for an electrical gremlin that's blowing fuses o.O
Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

it would only short sometimes....so they couldn't track it with a multimeter
Old 09-05-2009, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No way i can do 1100... not happening....

Any one have any other ideas? BTW i can not get the wiring diagrams on the site to work...always get an error...
Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

3min3m2, i'm not a great electrician, but some of the guys on this site can probably help more...but with the right tools you can track down any possible short yourself and save alot of money. C'mon guys lets help him out!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Slight update:
Well i started the car up this morning, just going to let it idle until it popped the 10A in there right now. idled for about 5 mins, didn't pop. However, i did notice the engine shaking, like i had a bad spark or so. didn't sound too rough, but enough to visibly see a random shimmy.

I'm going to put the stock plugs back in, hoping its a plug issue. Any one used the Bosch fusion 4 plugs? they looked good, and at 7 buck a pop you would think they were...

Cross your fingers...
Old 09-05-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah definitely put the stock plugs back in.. those bosch plugs are terrible! There's a reason they tell us on the underhood sticker "USE ONLY IRIDIUM PLUGS". Im wondering if that 4-design is causing it to ground out in an odd way. Definitely let us know what happens going back to stock plugs!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
yeah definitely put the stock plugs back in.. those bosch plugs are terrible! There's a reason they tell us on the underhood sticker "USE ONLY IRIDIUM PLUGS". Im wondering if that 4-design is causing it to ground out in an odd way. Definitely let us know what happens going back to stock plugs!
Possibly. Here is progress so far.
Changed to stockies, started it up. Let it idle for almost ten minutes, even on the 10A fuse. never shut off, nor stalled, nor popped fuse. Decided to drive NAPA to get fuses. still running ok on 10A fuse. Changed it to a new 20, drove over to my apartment EASY AND SLOW, worked fine on the new 20A.

Hope for me...

Noticed the BOSCH fours are listed as iridium, but are an iridium platinum fusion. should be a good plug. However the plug did have significant unburnt fuel. Could this eventually cause the ECU to pull too much current?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i'm wondering if the design was causing a weird sparking pattern, causing problems. I'm not sure how a spark plug could pull more current. Since it's supplied with what it needs from the coil pack. I know that the plugs we use have a resistor-type plug for efi/rfi noise elimination. I'm wondering if that resistor was faulty then the plug could be using more current instead of resisting that current, like the stock plugs have. hmmm.

And the iridium/platinum are what the stockers are, but something is odd here since it is working fine now! That is GOOD NEWS!! What brand are your stockers, mine came with NGK's.

but I've seen other cars freak out when using bosch. I used them before in another car and didn't get that great of results out of them. Maybe someone else has a theory of what is wrong with them.

Glad it's fixed, but are the old plugs needing replacement?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I replaced the plugs b/c fuel economy had tapered off about 2 mpg since i had the car. Air and oil were good, and at 67k miles, figured it was time.

The stockers look good, they seem ok.

I have no idea, Being a computer engineer, how there could have ben enough current to kick the EFI fuse. but it seems to be the answer.

Stock plugs were Denso.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
I replaced the plugs b/c fuel economy had tapered off about 2 mpg since i had the car. Air and oil were good, and at 67k miles, figured it was time.

The stockers look good, they seem ok.

I have no idea, Being a computer engineer, how there could have ben enough current to kick the EFI fuse. but it seems to be the answer.

Stock plugs were Denso.

i have had horrible luck with the bosh fusions.....they arent meant for our cars...i was able to return mine and then went to dealership n bought oem plus lol but at the price of 53 dollars...i didnt have time to order any online so i paid.....gotts pay to play
Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Another couple of miles, everything is still going good. Weird...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Updated first Post....Help
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Found it. Oxygen Sensor on S Pipe was hitting a bracket under there. Removed my anti-foulers, taped it up ,seems good to go so far.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't think that would cause a short unless the wires were bare... ? were they?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes. wires had spots that were bare, they were hitting the body.outside of sensor.