Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

V6 tC anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default V6 tC anybody?

I have always thought that maybe one of Toyotas V6 engines might fit into a tC. Either the one out of the Solara(3.3 liter V6), or the Camry(3.5 liter V6). I figured since the 2.4 liter fits in both cars, as well as other Toyota models, Why wouldnt the V6's fit into the tC? Now I know space would be an issue, maybe, as well as other things but I havnt found anything yet on anyone trying it out. So whats the deal? anyone have any insight on this one? I just thought one day maybe i could swap one of the V6's into my tC. Just a thought really. I figured it might be safer, easier, and better then say turbo. Only for the fact that Im only putting in a stock V6 for more power and not slapping on a turbo that could potentially cause problems in the future. Where as the V6, if it would fit, could run perfectly fine for awhile and give me the power boost I desire. What do you say? This sound logical?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been discussed and attempted. There's a thread on here somewhere, just do a quick search.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think someone said they were doing it and swapping out the engines then we never heard from them again.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mean really....the 3.5 liter V6 has 270 horses. Thats more than enough for the tC. Although trannys and what not may cause issues but maybe not. Just imagine stuffing the 3.5 liter 270 hp V6 into the tC. Pop the hood and WOOOAAAAH!!! Just imagine putting duals on it and it actually sounding pretty bad ___. Just my two cents. If I ever ran into some money.....like winning the loto....I would so try it. Even if it takes much modifications. It would so be worth it.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay...lemme break it down for you.

it is not safer, it is not easier, it is not cheaper, and the results are no where near as good as adding a turbo. thank you and have a nice day.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya I did a quick search...I always do. Nothing. Just thought I could get some more insight on it.

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
okay...lemme break it down for you.

it is not safer, it is not easier, it is not cheaper, and the results are no where near as good as adding a turbo. thank you and have a nice day.
Who cars about being safe, cheap, or easy. Im the exact opposite of those 3 things. Im never safe, not cheap in any way, and totally not an easy going person. I can be easy tho. But thats what would make this swap so unique. I guess people like you take the easy way out...the safe way out....cheap out. thats not me. thanks for your comment tho

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 01-29-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just build your engine and put on a good turbo. You will get more power and spend a lot less in the end. Ptuning could set you up nicely.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Safer? Possibly, but then you would need standalone engine management.
Easier? No. tC turbo install takes 10 hours for a good shop, from start to finish.
Cheaper? Probably not. Engine is 1k, install is probably about 1k, engine management + tuning at least 2k. Thats 4k right there, and thats in a perfect world. Lets not forget about cutting and chopping the engine bay up to fit in there. Remember, the tC has an INLINE motor, not a V configuration, so there will be NO corresponding mounting points.

Its too much of a hassle. If you want something reliable, just build the motor thats already in the tC, build or buy a turbo kit, get a great tune, and be done with it.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you just said it would be safer and easier than a turbo.

it would be kind of cool, but to me i dont know if the reward would be worth the hassle
Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well is would be safer in the long run. Say if I wanna go another 100k on the car when I do either a turbo set up or an engine swap. Im going to do some research and see what i can find. Easier in the way of I know I can swap that motor in cuz thats in my expertise I guess. Now putting a turbo on I would say I know much less about. And to come up with a reliable turbo set up with a built engine would be hard for some people. Now of course I can slap a turbo on my tC, injectors, emangement, the works and be happy. But it wont last that long. And I will constantly be messing with ____, fixing ____, changing ____ etc. Im saying a V6 would be reliable and a little easier on my end. If I need to cut up the car a bit so be it...I know how to do that. But a V6 I think would be cooler than a turbo set up only for the fact that not EVERYONE is doing it. Thats me....I like to be different. We will see in few years if I can get it done. Cars yet to be paid off. So we will see.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
you just said it would be safer and easier than a turbo.
Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
Safer? Possibly, but then you would need standalone engine management.
Easier? No. tC turbo install takes 10 hours for a good shop, from start to finish.
O rly?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and money wouldnt be an issue. I have a shop that can do the work and save me a bit. but also they dont specialize in turbo set ups either. Another reason why an engine swap would be better for me. Any more insight would be great!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
O rly?

not you, sorry i meant him when he responded to drax comment
Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
not you, sorry i meant him when he responded to drax comment
lol oops sorry too i guess

Originally Posted by kyledye25
Oh and money wouldnt be an issue. I have a shop that can do the work and save me a bit. but also they dont specialize in turbo set ups either. Another reason why an engine swap would be better for me. Any more insight would be great!
I just really want to see the Camry engine (3.5V) FIT into the tC engine bay.

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 01-29-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by kyledye25
And I will constantly be messing with ____, fixing ____, changing ____ etc. Im saying a V6 would be reliable and a little easier on my end.
The most challenging part reliability is making sure the transverse platform (if FWD) is secure enough on self-made motor mounts that don't shear off the subframe.

It would be interesting to see the 3.5 v6 done in a tc if it were RWD, to compete with the genesis coupe and rx8 crowd.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have seen a few IS swaps into the tC and a RWD conversion. As far as swaps and conversions go, supposedly its fairly straightforward. Thats as far as swaps and conversions though. Compared to turbo installs and engine rebuilds I guess not. But honestly, I would love to see a someone do another swap on the tC. Pretty interested in the outcome.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i'll make it simple.

will it fit? enough money will make anything fit.
logical? my opinion is a big fat NO.

safe? the handling on the tC is a tad wonky already from the weight distribution.. adding even more weight to the front? probably not going to help in that department.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kalinakona
I have seen a few IS swaps into the tC and a RWD conversion. As far as swaps and conversions go, supposedly its fairly straightforward. Thats as far as swaps and conversions though. Compared to turbo installs and engine rebuilds I guess not. But honestly, I would love to see a someone do another swap on the tC. Pretty interested in the outcome.
forza and real world are 2 different things lol
Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say be a cool guy and cut out the trunk and add in a 2gr-fe back there. keep the 2az up front for a 4wd or take it out for a mr tC. then report back to us about how you regret not just going f/i.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

safer would be one engine per wheel, that way if you have one engine blow on you, you still got three wheels pushing you forward

HOW GENIUS?!