Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

VVTI controller for our cars!!!!!!111

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default VVTI controller for our cars!!!!!!111

http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/ will have a new VVTi controller avail for our cars within 2-3 months. price range about 400-500. cant wait to see dyno results.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

OMG THATS SICK. FINALLLY SOMETHING LIKE TEH VTEC CONTROLLER BUT FOR TOYOTAS YAY!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

will it work on the xb?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:21 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoomBox757
will it work on the xb?
It's says it's for a VVT-i engine... I don't see why it shouldn't... Hope they do.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive called them and yes it works on all cars that have VVTi.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally a mod that might be worth the $$$ other than a turbo kit...
Old 03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good, post some dyno results when they get in so we can see if they really work. Do you know how to install these, how they work exactly?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will get here quicker than the AEM CAI and the TRD SC
Old 03-09-2005, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^thats for sure
Old 03-09-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what they explained to me was that. its a direct plug and play device. it comes pre-programmed, you can also adjust the timing and etc. they also told me that they have tech support to help you out to tune the car. thats all i know so far.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i must say i think this could definitely be used by dealers to get out of doing alot of warranty work

i dont know much about these sort of things, but what exaclty does it end up doing? adding more fuel to each cycle?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

well i'm guessing for the vvt-i engines... vvt-i engines make more power at higher rpms and better fuel economy at lower rpms by adjusting the overlap in valves. For this to "control" anything related to power. I think it probably just lowers the rpms requisite for the computer to start overlapping the intake/exhaust valves and giving you that benefit b4 the ecu would normally engage the overlap. as for vvtl-i engines, probably just like a hondata kind of thing. Lowering the rpm required to get "Lift" along with the valve timing.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by duston831
i must say i think this could definitely be used by dealers to get out of doing alot of warranty work

i dont know much about these sort of things, but what exaclty does it end up doing? adding more fuel to each cycle?
thats for sure
Old 03-09-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

our vvti is just like the vtec on hondas. our VVTi kicks in around 2800-3000 rpm. that when i feel it. with this mod you basically can have the VVTi kick around 2000 RPM for example. but if you guys dont understand how this works here goes.

-----------------------------------------------------------
If you have read How Car Engines Work, you know about the valves that let air into the engine and let exhaust out of the engine. You also know about the camshaft that controls the valves. The camshaft uses rotating lobes that push against the valves to open and close them. This animation from How Camshafts Work can help you understand how the camshaft opens and closes the valves:

It turns out that there is significant relationship between the way the lobes are ground on the camshaft and the way the engine performs in different rpm (rotations per minute) ranges. To understand why this is the case, imagine that we are running an engine extremely slowly -- at just 10 or 20 rpm, so it takes the piston seconds to complete a cycle. It would be impossible to actually run a normal engine this slowly, but imagine that we could. We would want to grind the camshaft so that, just as the piston starts moving downward in the intake stroke, the intake valve would open. The intake valve would close right as the piston bottoms out. Then the exhaust valve would open right as the piston bottoms out at the end of the combustion stroke and would close as the piston completes the exhaust stroke. That would work great for the engine as long as it ran at this very slow speed.

When you increase the rpm, however, this configuration for the camshaft does not work well. If the engine is running at 4,000 rpm, the valves are opening and closing 2,000 times every minute, or thirty to fourty times every second. When the intake valve opens right at the top of the intake stroke, it turns out that the piston has a lot of trouble getting the air moving into the cylinder in the short time available (a fraction of a second). Therefore, at higher rpm ranges you want the intake valve to open prior to the intake stroke -- actually back in the exhaust stroke -- so that by the time the piston starts moving downward in the intake stroke, the valve is open and air moves freely into the cylinder during the entire intake stroke. This is something of a simplification, but you get the idea. For maximum engine performance at low engine speeds, the valves need to open and close differently than they do at higher engine speeds. If you put in a good low-speed camshaft, it hurts the engine's performance at high speeds, and if you put in a good high-speed camshaft it hurts the engine's performance at low speeds (and in extreme cases can make it very hard to start the engine!).

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way, the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine. Several of the links below go into the actual mechanics of the VTEC system if you are interested.

Several engine manufacturers are experimenting with systems that would allow infinite variability in valve timing. For example, imagine that each valve had a solenoid on it that could open and close the valve under computer control rather than relying on a camshaft. With this type of system, you would get maximum engine performance at every rpm range. Something to look forward to in the future...
Old 03-09-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

howstuffworks.com is the sheet!!!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

roger that
Old 03-10-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duston831
howstuffworks.com is the sheet!!!!!
yes it is
Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay I've heard exactly the opposite Chicago... ours doesnt necessarily "kick in" as vtec does. VVTi is a constant thing for variable timing. i dont know for sure but im pretty sure somewhere i read on here its nothing like vtec. ill try to find the post. im sorry if im wrong

i would love to get a unit like this for the xB. im doin 80 my rpms are at 4K and thats too high for my tastes. if this could lower that, itd b awesome and actually probably help my fuel economy
Old 03-10-2005, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ i heard the same thing a sexyscionlover vvtl-i is supposed to be like v-tech but im not sure if its true its just something i heared i hope this thing works good my friends civic has a vtech controller and it is awsome
Old 03-10-2005, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is the difference between VVT-i and VTEC

http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

Quick Reply: VVTI controller for our cars!!!!!!111