Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Wanting to Buy a Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Default Wanting to Buy a Cold Air

So I want to buy a cold air intake but I have a couple questions. I just bought the car a couple weeks ago and I want to get a little more power out of it. I want to get either the TRD intake or the Injen Intake.

I want to go with the TRD one because the dealer can install it and it would be included in the warranty. But costs a lot of money.

I want to go with the Injen one because it costs way less and I can install it myself. But I won't want to risk anything happening and voiding the warranty.

What are some of your opinions?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Get the Injen and install it........I asked the tech at the dealership and he said the only real problem he had seen that was not warrentiable was a hydrolocked motor.......all in all it is just a tube the air goes through......with a filter.......same as stock........but prettier

I just got the Weapon R SRi......I debated and decided I was too lazy to take the wheel off every 6 months and clean my filter..........but I was leaning too for the Injen for a CAI.........it is nice and fat under the hood........with beautiful welds......

Power gains are not really there to be seen.........but it does sound better......a lot better........and looks really good under the hood........basically a $250 shiney toy.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Default Re: Wanting to Buy a Cold Air

No opinions here, just facts:

The TRD CAI does not have a warranty nor is it included in the powertrain warranty whether or not the dealer installs it and no matter what misinformation they give you; the TRD CAI is classified as a "Race Part". No CAI will void your warranty, however, Toyota/Scion can deny a warranty claim if the CAI, including the TRD, was the cause of a problem.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't need to pay so much $$ for TRD CAI since it is AEM rebadged....you can also get the bypass valve if your scared about hydrolocking, but it won't completely prevent it
Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

injen CAI FTW!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So you like the weapon r? I've been really considering it, have any sound clips?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm editing a video right now of my car with my injen cai. i'll post it up in a few. i think it came out very good. check back in a few...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Sleep3r
don't need to pay so much $$ for TRD CAI since it is AEM rebadged....you can also get the bypass valve if your scared about hydrolocking, but it won't completely prevent it
So true, and there are people who have a bypass valve on their CAI, and still hydrolock. The important thing is common sense, either avoid puddles all together, or when the rain season comes, go back to stock!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ok, thanks tcguy, ill be checking
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

JUST so you know, don't buy a CAI for power gains, you won't get any. You buy a cai for looks and sounds, that is it.

Now some people will argue that the injen will give you about 7-8hp extra on a dyno. This is true. However, for starters, you really won't feel 7-8whp, but more importantly, this is at the high-end rpms. The upper rpms will see an increase in hp, yet the lower rpms will suffer. Now just ask yourself where you spend more of your time, between 2K-4K rpm or between 5-7K rpm. Bottom line, if you feel a difference, you will notice more power around the redline and less power where you do most of your driving. If this is worth it to you...

Also ask yourself if it is worth all that money for the look of it under your hood and the sound it makes when accelerating hard.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i remember when i used to think i wanted a CAI for power gains

hello turbotoyotas stage 1
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2fast4ryou and sleeper said it best.

Spect2k3, with that rational there is no point in modding unless you go F/I. I got and Injen CAI and Skunk2 spipe-back and there is a difference. I beat up my friends stock tc every time.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
Also ask yourself if it is worth all that money for the look of it under your hood and the sound it makes when accelerating hard.
it's worth it!

ok..... so i have the injen cai, ingalls damper, creative compacts short shifter, cage and cable bushings, mt90 trans fluid, and my homemade clutch pedal stop in this vid, no exhaust yet or other engine or tranny mods.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=3ae492ab.flv
Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by equinox2355
So true, and there are people who have a bypass valve on their CAI, and still hydrolock. The important thing is common sense, either avoid puddles all together, or when the rain season comes, go back to stock!
LOL good thing we don't have to worry about heavy rain / puddles
Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by equinox2355
LOL good thing we don't have to worry about heavy rain / puddles
so very true.... or snow lol
Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85
it's worth it!

ok..... so i have the injen cai, ingalls damper, creative compacts short shifter, cage and cable bushings, mt90 trans fluid, and my homemade clutch pedal stop in this vid, no exhaust yet or other engine or tranny mods.

Rather impressive video of your dash
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Originally Posted by chaseonbass
So you like the weapon r? I've been really considering it, have any sound clips?
No sound clips yet........but i got it mainly for the look and sound........I have started to polish the motor and it will even out the motor bay........

It looks like for the 08 it is the only one out there.........the Ingen looks as if it too can be used as a SRI..........but that seemed to be it other than the cheap ones.........and I have always steered away from cheap products..........they tend to need more to make them work correctly than they are worth...........
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Originally Posted by Tcguy85
it's worth it!

Rather impressive video of your dash
it's not about the video itself, it's about the sound. you can't watch a cold air intake. and you can see through most of the video. i didn't have somebody in the car holding the camera i just stuck it between the headrest and the seat and it stayed and actually captured the sound pretty well.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oooh, I thought we were trying to listen to your mt90 tranny fluid
Old 07-31-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Oooh, I thought we were trying to listen to your mt90 tranny fluid
oh booooyyyy.... i just wanted to list everything i had in the engine/tranny dept so i didn't have people asking questions like "what exhaust do you have in that clip?"

Quick Reply: Wanting to Buy a Cold Air