Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

water pump problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 PM

Default water pump problem?

Hey all, just joined, thanks for having me. I have a 2006 scion TC and recently it started making a weird almost grinding noise when i start it up and whenever it idles. The noise also continues when I'm driving but if i accelerate will go away, then come back. I took it to a garage that is right by my house, they said it was the water pump, specifically the bearings. Gave me an estimate of around 400 dollars. Was wondering if it could be the water pump, and how close is it to being fatal. It's weird no engine lights or anything like that ever came up, and it hasn't been overheating. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

And also i was wondering, on the estimate they had a coolant flush and extended life coolant....for 80 dollars. Is that necessary when replacing the water pump?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind price is based on your local or dealer value. U need to ask wow much do they charge per hour and how many labor hours for water pump replacement . And ask how much for parts. Most local shops charge 65hr and labor rate from michele or alldata by the book they charge 2.o hours or 2.5 hours so thats $150 for labor and about $40 to $65 for water pump at your local autozone.total cost should be $200-250 ..coolent $20 no need for coolent flush.. dealer 2.5 at $110 an hour = $250 for labor and $110 for water pump. Dealer $360-$400 coolent included..
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Life time warranty for autozone water pump. One year for dealer water pump
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lifetime warranty means nothing. Since Toyota has updated the original water pump with a new bearing, seal, guide. Most aftermarket just copy the original pump, instead of the later updated parts. If someone can prove to me that Autozone has updated the part to the new specs, then I'll go back on what I said.. Otherwise get the Toyota part, it's been fixed now.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed. Toyota did fix their water pump design. Easy install if you feel comfortable doing so. If not $400 for parts and labor and coolant flush seems about right price wise.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

water pump is very common on these cars but luckily its a easy fix as the pumps pretty easy to get to. 2 hours is what quoted i do believe for a water pump replace on the 2AZ but when you take the water pump off you have to drain all the coolant so a coolant flush isn't really needed. you could replace your drive belt instead because if its orignal its probably all cracked.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where is the weep hole on the water pump when it is installed? does it face down, right (toward the wheel), or up?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ down
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
lifetime warranty means nothing. Since Toyota has updated the original water pump with a new bearing, seal, guide. Most aftermarket just copy the original pump, instead of the later updated parts. If someone can prove to me that Autozone has updated the part to the new specs, then I'll go back on what I said.. Otherwise get the Toyota part 's been fixed now.
True.. but keep in mind ..I was just stating his options. Money may be a factor or not.. it was a comparison ,why pay 400 for after market at a local shop if for the same price you could have you local Toyota dealer install it for the same price. .I personally never install after market parts when items are available at a dealer.. true factory parts are superior to most if not all after market part
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I agree most OEM quality parts are a superior quality to aftermarket which is a bit of a reason why OEM cost more

Sent from my iPhone
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by cmcpride
True.. but keep in mind ..I was just stating his options. Money may be a factor or not.. it was a comparison ,why pay 400 for after market at a local shop if for the same price you could have you local Toyota dealer install it for the same price. .I personally never install after market parts when items are available at a dealer.. true factory parts are superior to most if not all after market part
no problem, yes money is a factor, that's true, I agree with you! Just didn't want him to spend all this money and then bam! little while later has the same issue and cost him more money when if he had bought the updated Toyota part would've only been like $40 more. Then the problem wouldn't come back, do it once, do it right, be done with it.