Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Weapon R header installed...Got Rasp......LOL

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Default Weapon R header installed...Got Rasp......LOL

Yesturday we installed the header to my wifes car.......

Took us about 6 hours to get the old one out and the new one in.........still gotta get a resonator installed before she kills me.......car sounds horrid right now......Ricy Hondas sound pretty compared to it.......LOL

The person who helped also has the Weapon R but his is the first Gen one so we took pictures of both side by side.......a lot of differances....

Also for anyone installing this header your fan shroud has to come out and if it is an automatic you have to install from the underside of the car and it go right in.......will not fit from the top no matter how hard that you try.

Also disconnect the battery so you don't arc out like I did........

As for the old butt dyno.........car is freer in HP now........pulls a lot better.......0-45 is very quick.......50-110......don't ask.......is very quick now too......header makes a lot of differance........

AS for RASP........it is horrid...........TRD exhaust sounds really bad now........really bad.........the car sounds like rice with pork and soy sauce.........really bad.......

Big butt resonator or if I can find a Aero 25 resonator is going on soon......VERY soon.......

Old 07-27-2008, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. 1st gen tc?
2. get a new axle back trd is aweful, get a new mid pipe and add some resonators
Old 07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

First Gen weapon r header.........first picture........the one on the right is the original Weapon R.......totally differant header than the one they have now.......
Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Wow sounds like you really had a tough time with it. I bet you were pretty ____ed when you first started it up. But that engine bay is looking really nice, so keep it up and get those resonators and maybe a new axle back and let us know how it sounds!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

wow....very nice.
post a video of how ricey it is.......lolz
Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah i get it
Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

LOL.........I should try to see if my camera will take a good enough video........it is horrid sounding........I laugh though as i knew it was gonna sound bad.......like a lawnmower on steriods and crack.........but it looks really good and the car runs a lot better......

Now just gotta find a local shop that willnot rape me on the cost of a 30" resonator and the TRD has got to go as well........I like the GReddy Ti-C but have not heard one yet with a header......might not sound to good.........so I gotta shop around for a bit......

If anyone has a sugestion on exhaust to replace the TRD let me know......I am going to have the shop make me a 2.5 mid pipe with new cat and resonator so no need for like a Megan mid pipe or anything.......might try a Dezod product......I hear they work well.....
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

weapon r/mmw header is definitely the biggest pita header to install, but thats weird that you would have that much rasp...
when i had stock axleback midpipe, it was a tiny bit raspy, nothing too overpowering, when i got the precisionmuffler, it got a little worse, and with the skunk2, it just drowned out all the rasp. i'd try how the stock axleback sounds. might be worse, might be better.
i also have a few clips of my setup with the skunk2 if you want.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It should sound alright with the stock axleback. I'm still using stock piping size from the s-pipe back, 1 30inch resonator in the mid pipe.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am in the same boat. have the trd exhaust and just added the mmw header too. much louder, need to do something about that...resonators on order.
it's more annoying in the cabin that anywhere else..yeah, i'd say the sound is more annoying than obnoxious.
i have no thoughts about removing though, after seeing a 21whp increase.

nice engine bay!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

What resonator did you order..........there is definatly a power increase with the header.......and yes that sound is obnoxious to say the least.......I am probably going to install the usuall 30" resonator till my Aero25s arrive next month......gotta keep the wife happy or she may smother me in my sleep
Old 07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

some person helped you? ouch....
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yes Kanchi........you helped.......I should say I helped......in fact you spent more time under the car than I did.......LOL......but you have done it before and know waht the heck you are doing better than I do........so when is the install on yours going to be.......soon......hurry up and sand off that purple color of it........LOL......now that mine is in I will get yours in.....
Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are lucky that you dont have a S/C on. it would have made it into a 8+ hour job if it took you 6 with out the S/C. thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^true that!

Never would have imagined it had to go down then come up from the bottom...sigh its done now and he didn't have too many extra screws : P it was a pleasure Brian, will let you know....as well as Doug
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
What resonator did you order..........there is definatly a power increase with the header.......and yes that sound is obnoxious to say the least.......I am probably going to install the usuall 30" resonator till my Aero25s arrive next month......gotta keep the wife happy or she may smother me in my sleep
I have 2 aero25's on order....but that's for personal reasons, my wife has her own car so she won't smother me (over this at least).
Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey i dotn want to say i told ya so but i told ya it might be easier coming from the bottom. LOL J/P. Yea it was a pain getting it in there. Trying not to kill the radiator. We got it through somehow and then realized it should come up through the bottom for the automatics. Hmmm

But it should definitley be an easier install on Kanchi's since he has a stick. But that 1st gen is gna hang low. That second gen looks sweet they definetly did a good job redoing it.

Anyways had a blast hanging out and chatting it up and installing the header. I wish i was gonna be here for eric's. Oh well we defintley gotta do more tech days when i get back. I truly just love working on our cars and talking about watever.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find it weird that everyone has a bad experience with the TRD exhaust with the MMW header..yeah the cabin noise is loud but the exhaust itself sounds fine to me *shrug* thats just my opinion though. Its more loud than raspy though..rasp isn't an issue for me wth this header.

I have thought about getting a new exhaust but my setup now I guess just grew on me.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it will sound better with a differnt exhaust
Old 07-28-2008, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I do not mind the loudness of the exhaust it is the weedwacker on steroids sound it makes at 3000rpm.......but soonas the resonator is on it will be better......think I am gonna go withthe Greddy Ti-C.....I love the sound it makes and the look is great as well......

Plus it will match my Yaris......which is also soon to get a MMW header and NST pullys.....gonna turn it into a sweet little car........it is already lowered,17s,Injen intake and Greddy Ti-C.......it has a long way to go and I am gonna take it in a differant mod direction.......more of a track car.

Quick Reply: Weapon R header installed...Got Rasp......LOL