Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Weapon R Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now this ... Is just plain truth: Scions and Honda are in the same category 2 door coupe with small motors . They both seem to sound similar I don't get why everyone always says it sounds like a Honda?? My Acura RSX sounds nice as he'll with Skunk 2 Exhaust .... As a matter of fact I seen really riced out scions who sounds like butt ...... So it all comes down to how much money you spend on quality known parts ..... If you buy a cheap $50 bucks eBay exhaust you get what you pay for .... Buy a 300-400 exhaust your car will sound nice regardless ......

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-09-2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And NO !! You can't bolt on and ride ... The car will run lean you deff need a tune if you want your motor to last ....
Old 05-28-2012, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info best answer i ever got on a fourm lol :-p guess I'll have to get an emange was thinking of it anyway what management do u have with the trd supercharger.

And I don't waste my money on cheap stuff rather wait and get the good ****. I'll still like to see hp numbers and a vid if u can

Thanks

-Sent From DarkSide Sense 3.5 -
Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem bro .. I always like to tell the truth and go straight to the topic .. Im gonna use aem fic .. I have not installed it since am waiting to do it with my manifold and dyne all at once .. Right now I'm working on painting my 5 axis lip kit and kaminari flush spoiler as soon as I get that out the way ima start working on engine . As soon as I get dyne numbers with intake manifold I will post asap to clear all those doubts out there
Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM
SL Member

I know of one person locally that has one on his boosted tc and he said there is a noticable difference, but I would shell out $500 on a company that won't provide dyno numbers when numerous people have been asking for them for a few years.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good question. Maybe bc they only had them made for tCs that had many other modifications. I think it's made for a completely modified intake setup and maybe head, so the company is thinking dyno before and after on a stock tC won't make much of a difference? Idk, just my thoughts.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do have a weapon R intake manifold installed on my tC1, got it for ~230$ if I remember correctly from another salvaged tC (what a find... I know). It was put on after my cams were installed and the head was ported so the numbers I got may be a little different than a totally stock tC. On my car we saw around 4-10whp gain depending on the run with up to ~12lbs/ft of torque added in down low and 8lbs/ft over previous peak. Torque is the biggest improvement in this manifold. Its honestly noticeable. The biggest issue we found was inconsistency with the gains which I still attribute to heatsoak on the dyno. That's the biggest downside of this manifold; being aluminum and without a phenolic spacer, it is actually a step back in controlling intake temps from the stock unit. When driving this is less of an issue, as once you get good air flow through the engine bay the manifold cools back off. On an F/I application I would still suggest a short runner manifold like the descendant, but both should still show gains over the stock manifold.

Yes; the install is a PITA because of the heater core hoses that have to be removed and the forceful wiggling that must be done to sneak the manifold into position.

No; it will not make your car sound like a "rice honduh", exhaust headers do that, and only if you do not put a good hi-flow catalyst further downstream. In fact because of the velocity stacks and the slightly opened intake tract you get a nice induction burble above 3000rpm. Very similar intake sound to a blacktop 4AGE. Below that there is no real difference in sound compared to the stock manifold. Exhaust sound did not noticeably change with the new manifold.

Also for the record, the manifold only required minor a/f adjustments, if memory serves me correctly it was about half a point lean from 2500-3500 and from 6500-6900.

I personally would not recommend an intake manifold at their MSRP values, the stock unit is plenty good and a healthy all around performer for a mid range build. I just got lucky when browsing through LKQ one day and noticed a "08 tC" intake manifold for sale that looked quite un-OEM. Picked it up, saw the weapon R logo on the flange and the $230 price tag, and had to purchase it.

Disclaimer: In my recent move plenty of my less than important documents have been misplaced or put in storage, so if you are a "dyno-hound" just pretend this post doesn't exist, because I am not in the mood to go hunting for my old dyno sheets right now.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info.

-Sent From DarkSide Sense 3.5 -
Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would attribute the gains seen by TJKASS to be more for head work and cams over actual intake manifold.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those gains were on top of the cams/porting. Intake manifold was installed 4 months after the head work was done. I do believe the results are stronger than someone would see on a stock motor due to the other modifications performed, however it still showed the gains above regardless.