Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

weird, engine "hesitating", anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default weird, engine "hesitating", anyone?

alright, i have checked a bunch of cr*p, my car used to have headers, full exhaust, intake, no other engine mods, really, i swear, seriously, it was stock.. lol

well, the thing is, it's now back to stock, i meant the engine, stock everything, and for some strange reason, after a month of having it back to stock, while im driving the engine hesitates, i checked the o2 sensors, maf, cleaned them, changed sparkplugs... nothing... i have an obdii scanner, no trouble codes on the ecu (stock), no misfires, no knocking, nothing... but the car keeps doing that ____.

i know people (other cars too), with higher compressions (including turbos and s/c), have had problems lately because of the F*Cking "FlexFuel" with the "10% or less" of ethanol, which is made for american cars, but, all other cars are not made for it, however, goverment doesn't give you an option and it's the only choice... anyways.......

have anyone have had a problem like this "hesitation" and figured it out? thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Have you reset the ECU? If you haven't, start there. Just disconnect the battery for a while.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Have you reset the ECU? If you haven't, start there. Just disconnect the battery for a while.
did that already! thanks!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

When you first went back to stock, was this happening?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my car does it sometimes off the start in like first gear. i'm boosted, and if i watch my AFR gauge when it happens it spikes lean for about a sec then comes back. i think it's only cause i need to get re-tuned.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
When you first went back to stock, was this happening?
not at all, it started happening yesterday, or the day before, i've been stock for about a month, haven't used the car that much though, but it was definately not happening right after i went to stock...
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nlataille18
my car does it sometimes off the start in like first gear. i'm boosted, and if i watch my AFR gauge when it happens it spikes lean for about a sec then comes back. i think it's only cause i need to get re-tuned.

well, what i'm thinking is that the freaking ethanol they are putting in the fuel messed something, or is messing something up, not that many people know, ethanol burns way leaner than petrol fuel, AFR readings are the same of course, but the burning is leaner indeed....
Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i think i know exactly what ur talkign about one daymy car jus started doing this outta nowhere and still does. when u ste on the gas it feels like it hesitates to move it kinda feels like sumthign is blocking it. and i heard the same exact thing that its the gas and i put 93 i even tried those ocatne boosts things it seemd to work for alil bit but then stopped
Old 09-29-2008, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
i think i know exactly what ur talkign about one daymy car jus started doing this outta nowhere and still does. when u ste on the gas it feels like it hesitates to move it kinda feels like sumthign is blocking it. and i heard the same exact thing that its the gas and i put 93 i even tried those ocatne boosts things it seemd to work for alil bit but then stopped

yes, like there was 70mph winds coming against you, but the trees don't even move... lol
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

thats exactly how i feel i dunno wtf is up with that its jus annoying as hell and i have my header and got rid of my exhaust now im jus gonna get rid of theheader and intake jus because its annoying me lol
Old 09-29-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I actually had a similar issue with my 05 after I took it for a little off-roading journey. The car just felt powerless. Add some Marvel Mystery Oil to your gas and put a little into your engine oil. Might solve the issue, might not, either way, that stuff really helps clean up everything. It solved my issue over time.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

hm so its called marvel mystery oil? is it the same bottle for both gasoline and for the motor oil? where can u get it
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea guys i know exactly what your talking about. my tc does it too. dont know why. it does it like when i first crank it up and every now and again. dont understand what it is.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm how many miles do u guys have? might even be something as simple as dirty fuel injectors. BG44k Is the only way to go. maybe even redline S1 which is cheaper, but ive nvr tried it. I can personally vouch for bg tho.

anyway rose and cracker why are you guys removing the header? just curious. The car seems way more fun to drive with an aftermarket header. im pretty sure thats not whats causing any type of hesitation.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok um i dont feel hesitence but ever since my pump switched to ethenol ive noticed that when around 3-4k rpm and slowly rasing i feel the car like backs off and hits hard like vtec would...but my car isnt a honda hahaha so someone please help i know that when u run lean ur car wil jerk but um if i throw a rod from this ethenol crap me n the gov will be having a chat over a aw suit
Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i have 69k on my car im jus taking off the header bc im tired of the rasp lol but this feeling is annoying it kinda feels like sumthing is blocking me like if sum1 put a potatoe or sumthing in my exhaust and its struggling to push it out
Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holy schnauzers, i was thinking about posting on this, i can pop the clutch and it's like it sits then goes thru slow to take off, i thought my clutch was gone but the revs dont shoot up, it seems to just bogg out. i've got 36k mile and i drive it about once or twice a week.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. all gasoline sold in this country has some ethanol in it. usually about 10%. it raises octane and reduces pollution. it really isn't enough to effect engine performance adversely, and doesn't favor foreign or domestic engines. flex fuel is E-85, as in 85 percent ethanol, and if you put that in your tank, you wouldn't be going anywhere, your car can't operate on it,a nd it would probably dissolve the seals and gaskets in your engine. any car can run on 10% fuel because it is dilluted enough, but cars have to be specifcally designed to run on e-85.

2. your engine won't "lean out" because there is ethanol in the tank, infact, because ethanol has less energy content then gasoline, it would have to send MORE fuel. your engine runs lean because your ecu doesn't get enough fuel sent to the engine. either because of clogged injectors, fuel filter, or whatever.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
1. all gasoline sold in this country has some ethanol in it. usually about 10%. it raises octane and reduces pollution. it really isn't enough to effect engine performance adversely, and doesn't favor foreign or domestic engines. flex fuel is E-85, as in 85 percent ethanol, and if you put that in your tank, you wouldn't be going anywhere, your car can't operate on it,a nd it would probably dissolve the seals and gaskets in your engine. any car can run on 10% fuel because it is dilluted enough, but cars have to be specifcally designed to run on e-85.

2. your engine won't "lean out" because there is ethanol in the tank, infact, because ethanol has less energy content then gasoline, it would have to send MORE fuel. your engine runs lean because your ecu doesn't get enough fuel sent to the engine. either because of clogged injectors, fuel filter, or whatever.

yes, flexfuel is E85, UP TO 85% ethanol, but the whole point is that all cars (except for "flexfuel" ones) are made to run 0% ethanol, not even 10%, for you 10% might not be much, but for our ecu's it is. It does raise octane indeed, and reduces polution, agree with that, but raising octane doesn't mean it will burn "richer" or "leaner". The thing is that ethanol does burn leaner and our ecu's are not made to "detect" if they are running ethanol so they can adjust, "flexfuel" cars do.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13
holy schnauzers, i was thinking about posting on this, i can pop the clutch and it's like it sits then goes thru slow to take off, i thought my clutch was gone but the revs dont shoot up, it seems to just bogg out. i've got 36k mile and i drive it about once or twice a week.
thats what i thought at first but then i realized my rpms dont shoot up and the clutch still grabs fine with no problems or anything

Quick Reply: weird, engine "hesitating", anyone?