Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

weird noise coming from engine **VIDEO ADDED**

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010 | 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default weird noise coming from engine **VIDEO ADDED**

so i've noticed a wierd noise coming from the engine, i think it's coming from the 2nd cylinder coilpack.. i cant really explain how the noise sounds and i can try to take a vid with my phone and post it up here to see if anyone has had this similar problem. no affects performance-wize though, but it is something i am worried about. i had the engine running and put my finger on each of the coilpacks and felt a very noticalbe tapping only on the second coilpack. could that coilpack be going out?? i have 64,550 miles on the car and only mods enginewize are cai, and full exhaust. does not sound like a tapping noise when the oil level is low. sounds more like of a constant grinding noise also not like large metal is being grinded down either. it is really hard to mimic this noise and explain it. i am going to remove the plugs and change them around to see if the same coilpack is still tapping. if anybody can somewhat get what im trying to explain, please let me know more info on this!! ill try to get a vid up ASAP to make things more clear for everyone..

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help!

also, its a manual 5-speed '06 tC.

Last edited by tCjosh; 07-12-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2010 | 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NB_tC06
so i've noticed a wierd noise coming from the engine, i think it's coming from the 2nd cylinder coilpack.. i cant really explain how the noise sounds and i can try to take a vid with my phone and post it up here to see if anyone has had this similar problem. no affects performance-wize though, but it is something i am worried about. i had the engine running and put my finger on each of the coilpacks and felt a very noticalbe tapping only on the second coilpack. could that coilpack be going out?? i have 64,550 miles on the car and only mods enginewize are cai, and full exhaust. does not sound like a tapping noise when the oil level is low. sounds more like of a constant grinding noise also not like large metal is being grinded down either. it is really hard to mimic this noise and explain it. i am going to remove the plugs and change them around to see if the same coilpack is still tapping. if anybody can somewhat get what im trying to explain, please let me know more info on this!! ill try to get a vid up ASAP to make things more clear for everyone..

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help!

also, its a manual 5-speed '06 tC.
i know the coil packs are a large electromagnet that stores energy, firing it to the plug when they release their charge. It could theoretically be damaged and be shifting around when firing, hence this clicking/tapping you're feeling. best way to check it is to test the coil pack with a multimeter. seeing what the specs are of your coil compared to the service manual.

but i just looked at my service manual and there isn't any specs on the coil packs!!?? huh?? they have to be out there. that's where i'd start. plus a check engine light should've come on if they were bad, but thats in a perfect world.
Old 07-12-2010 | 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i wanted to further look into the coilpacks but didnt have a chance last night since it was pouring outside... managed to take a quick vid of how it sounds.. sorry for the low quality but it did capture the noise very good. also, you cant hear anything while you're inside the car. i still do not know if the noise is persistant with the RPM's like if i raise the RPM if the noise will get louder or go away...

Old 07-12-2010 | 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and to also add... i had a 4-1 header and just recently swapped it out for stock (about 2-3 weeks ago maybe?) and this noise started a little after. i really dont think the header has anything to do with it, but it is pretty odd....
Old 07-13-2010 | 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone???
Old 07-14-2010 | 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

either you have something in the cylinder, something has come lose in the head, or there is a nest of obnoxious birds in your valve cover.

take off the valve cover and inspect it, it's easy to do just keep any trash/dirt out of it while youre looking. then if everything is fine there, see if you can borrow a boroscope from someone to inspect inside the spark plug holes for any metal/random objects in the cylinders.

those are worst case scenarios but easy to check for.