Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

what can be done to get rid of hesitation from an intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default what can be done to get rid of hesitation from an intake?

i have seen some suggestions that say adding an s-pipe will make the hesitation go away. is this true or is anyone having luck with anything else?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An s-pipe will just further reduce back pressure which gives that quickness off the line so I doubt it would help..probably make it worse. I just insalled my s-pipe and I didnt really notice much difference other than the engine idling and revving smoother.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

easy! remove your intake filter and youll notice a difference...(you know im joking right?) it seems like the engine is trying to pull air in as hard as it can. you notice how you start your car up the next day and accelerate? its like your car refuses to respond or something and it doesnt accelerate the way you want it, but after a few minutes it drives normally. my air filter accidently fell off and all the sudden my car accelerates like mad crazy! but it started to choke at idle

well, i had that hesitation problem plenty of times, actually always... one day i just added a RAM AIR KIT to my weapon-r intake, when it starts having that hesitation my car gotten worse, it seemed like it didnt want to accelerate at all for like 30 sec., so when i kept attempting to accelerate hard all the sudden i just heard a POP! i was like OMFG something just broke in my engine! i pulled to the curve checking under my hood and all, and it seems like nothing is wrong with it (nothing broke).... i didnt open up anything yet since it drives normally now. but im guessing the end part of the filter that connects to the ram air popped open because it seemed like my car was struggling hard to pull some air in...

advice - since the weather is getting cold, i suggest you guys either idle your car at start up or drive slowly as if the speed limit is 25 intill your engine temperature gauge goes up about a quarter of what it usually stays at....
Old 10-31-2005, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and these are for the people with aftermarket intakes.....
Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow your avatar is annoying LOL
Old 10-31-2005, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^^^^
Old 10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing i have found which might be an answer is that I go a little easier on the gas until i get into the higher rpms. once i get into the higher rpms i can shift through the gears without the hesitation. is anyone else driving like this?

it kind of sucks because i have to be more aware of where my car is at if i want to accelerate quickly but at least i have the benefits of the added horsepower.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that is your best bet. When you just slam on the throttle, the engine basically gets too much air and cant compensate until the upper RPMs. If you get into the throttle between 1/2 - 3/4 until you really start to feel it pull and then go to the floor it seems to be better. The same was true on my old Z28 with I/H/E. This is all butt dyno though and Im not sure its true. Id like to see someone test it with a g-tech and see what yields better results.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to know the results as well. By going easier on the throttle it feels like there may not be a loss of low end.