Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

What do you guys think

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:03 PM

Default What do you guys think

So i dropped my 05 tc off today at the dealership cause i could not firgure out why the cracks were so slow. I replaced the battery this past sat thinking that maybe the battery was dying. I researched for the best battery and A LOT of people said yellow top batteries were the best. So i got one. Put the battery in, the car still has the same prob. So now i am thinking it is the starter cable. The dealership calls and says the batery is not putting out enough voltage to start my car. I bought a 750 cca battery pretty much top of the line and yet they're solution is i need a new party and that this battery is not made for my car. Has anyone EVER heard of this before??? I'm just wondering if the dealership is trying to make a few bucks off me or if it is really true that this battery is not for my car. I'd def like some feed back on this.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is possible that they are right. when you replaced the battery if you decided to change the type and upgrade to a different CCA you more than likely affected the voltage. Amps are not the same as volts. I would stay with the battery designed for your car.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt it's the type of battery that's the issue, as long as you got the regular type and not the deep-cycle, as yellow-top could be either.

If it's an issue with the battery, then it likely wasn't "fresh" (many sit on a shelf for quite a while and lose voltage) when you got it, but once it's fully charged there shouldn't be an issue.

So it could be that your alternator isn't charging the battery, but I don't know if the dealer checked beyond testing the battery voltage. A new yellow-top starting type battery rated at 750 CCA is definitely more than adequate for starting a tC.