Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: what do you think is better
superchargers
26.09%
turbos
73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

what do you think is better turbos or superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default what do you think is better turbos or superchargers

what do you think is better please explain why

there are turbos and superchargers that produce teh same amount of boost what would you buy plaease explain
Old 09-02-2005, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get rocket propulsion, I hear that the space ship has around one million HP or so.

Or you could use the search button and stop asking question that have been answreed a million times over.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just my pref, but i like SC a little better simply becasue i want the power there right from the get go. i dont want to wait around for my boost to hit. Granted turbo lag isnt all that noticable, but you still have to wait a little bit for it to start spinning. im sure there are plenty of people that like turbo's better, i like the sound they make when they hit. but i personally dont like to wait for my power, im inpatient.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who cares? As of right now there are ZERO options (turbo or s/c) on the market. Automotive technology has increased so much that both options produce almost identical results. Turbo lag is not really even an issue anymore unless you're spooling a huge turbo. Why not just wait till there are several different options available (with dynos and times) so you can make an informed decision instead of just debating over which one is better.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you EVER Driven a turbo car? Impatient? more like uninformed, get your facts straight, you make it sound like you have to sit down and wait for the turbo to spool for like 3 hours. COME ON, for a SC you have to wait ANYWAYS for the belt to produce enough boost to go in. It isnt THAT instant my friend.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by intrepid_design
i personally dont like to wait for my power, im inpatient.
i personally don't like to wait for my car to go down the track, i'm impatient too. therefore i go with a turbo which makes more power by using wasted energy instead of being parasitic.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
Originally Posted by intrepid_design
i personally dont like to wait for my power, im inpatient.
i personally don't like to wait for my car to go down the track, i'm impatient too. therefore i go with a turbo which makes more power by using wasted energy instead of being parasitic.
the best answer yet and as far as f/i that is the least parasitic i would say nitrous lol but thats off topic the turbo is the better option it uses wasted energy to make more power pluss roots and screw suepr chargers get massive amounts of heat soak so there way less efficant
Old 09-02-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

methanol + turbo is the best imo
Old 09-02-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I prefer a turbo because that makes the most sense, mechanically. Specifically, a turbo is basically being over 100% efficient the cost of making power is effectively 0.

However, that's just academic stuff as I've never driven in a turbo'd vehicle.

I have driven a supercharged vehicle and the power delivery is very smooth. When they say "there's no replacement for displacement" I'd have to respond that a supercharger (centrifugal) is the best replacement for displacement as it really makes the engine seem a lot larger. It's kind of like supercharging a Civic would be akin to driving a v6 Accord's engine.. kind of
Old 09-02-2005, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kenshin
Get rocket propulsion, I hear that the space ship has around one million HP or so.

Or you could use the search button and stop asking question that have been answreed a million times over.
couldnt have said it better......anyone notice this guys been askin questions that have been in other forums plenty of times already? when i saw this question i already knew it was you who asked it....Just do some research instead of postin a million questions and expecting everyone to spoon feed you answers.
and mebbe a lil bit of this:
Old 09-02-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Miconceptions:

SC do not exhibit lag.... not true for a centrifugal SC. It is not quite as bad as a comparable turbo in many cases, but still there.

Turbos are not parasitic... correct, they are resistive. They still add resistance to the exaust flow (not as bad as the load a sc adds to the drive system). But they are far from "free" energy (no such thing) .

As far as which is better, there are a million things to consider before you can make that decision. As always application and need makes a huge difference. Try searching here and elsewhere, learning all you can about each, then determine what you want and the type of driving you are doing and then decide. It is not as simple as which one is better across the board. For most street driven, "I want a lot of power for my money for average driving" cars turbo is a good way to go.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbo's don't use power to make power... they may cause "resistance to the exhaust flow" but they do not steal power to make power.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
turbo's don't use power to make power... they may cause "resistance to the exhaust flow" but they do not steal power to make power.
Everything steals to make power. Conservation of energy is one of the foundations of basic physics. Whether you resist the motion of the engine via exhaust restriction or via drag on the crank is not the point, they both have the exact same effect. Granted, the restriction in the exhaust added by a turbo is less of an effect, but it has the SAME effect, only in a smaller amount. Cant argue with physics
Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for your answers but
whats wrong with you thomasabin if a person asks a question that you don't like don't answer you don't need to flame them
and mebbe a lil bit of this
also i am asking what people would prefere i already know all about turbos and sc and how they work
Old 09-02-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

as engifiner said....

the law of conservation of energy... it takes energy to make energy, but in the process, some energy is unused, not lost. it can change to a different state, whether it be gas, liquid, or soild..
Old 09-02-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you two are reading way into this. you're getting into law's of physics... there's no crank driven shaft spinning a turbo to make it create boost. it works like a windmill. the wind is already there it just puts itself in the way of it to spin the turbine.

go all einstein you want but the supercharger takes a larger amount of power to create it's power.

if you want to argue, run a supercharger at 10psi and a turbo at 10psi and see how much of a huge difference in power there is
Old 09-02-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

we are not arguing that.

you said "turbo's don't use power to make power"

replace power with energy... because that is what it is

we are simply saying a turbo does use energy to make energy

conservation of energy is deff not looking too deep into it at all... thats actually on the surface
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The point they're making is that a turbo is NOT FREE energy as that is impossible. In your case of a windmill, kinetic energy of the wind is converted to mechanical energy and thus that energy did not come from nowhere, obviously. But the speed of the wind is hampered by the blades of the windmill.

It's the same in a turbo. A turbo is basically a useful muffler. While in lag, most turbo'd cars perform less than a car that is not turbo'd at the same rpm because the exhaust is restrictive. It's like that valve in the stock muffler - it opens and closes based on exhaust flow and is an impediment to flow.

Your point, matty-tc, is simply that a turbo robs less power and makes more than a supercharger which all these academic types are also saying. Engineers and students of physics and just overall smarties like to argue over such things as the existence of free energy.

OT but isn't this nicer? To lightly pounce on people for calling a turbo a source of free energy instead of jumping someone for calling the header in a tC "headers"? How infinitely more academic this is..

In anycase, for those people who say streetable turbos really don't have excessive lag - C&D calls the WRX turbo "wait 'til tomorrow turbo lag." I felt that was reasonably amusing.

Edit: instaposted, blast!

Edit: I'm such a nerd..
Old 09-02-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, since the laws of physics apply to EVERYTHING, then why not bring them up? Initially matty said it does not take power to make power which is IMPOSSIBLE!

Whether you push or pull a car, your body uses energy to move it... same with an engine. Whether it "pulls" (sc) or "pushes" (turbo) it is wasting some power. The engine can tell no difference between the two. The crank is either slowed by a parasitic connection to the belt or by a restriction to its movement in its exhaust port. Yes, spinning a turbo is more efficient. But the overall effect is some wasted power, period, no way around it. You can call out the laws of physics (which most high schoolers know, not just us "smarty" people) or say it more simply.. but however you look at it they both take power to make power, one just wastes a little less. It has nothign to do with some theoretical discussion of free energy, it is simple cut and dry physics.

You can argue that a turbo is more efficient, yes, but saying it wastes no power is so far from correct it is ridiculous. If you find one that doesnt.. you will be the richest man alive
Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
The point they're making is that a turbo is NOT FREE energy as that is impossible. In your case of a windmill, kinetic energy of the wind is converted to mechanical energy and thus that energy did not come from nowhere, obviously. But the speed of the wind is hampered by the blades of the windmill.

It's the same in a turbo. A turbo is basically a useful muffler. While in lag, most turbo'd cars perform less than a car that is not turbo'd at the same rpm because the exhaust is restrictive. It's like that valve in the stock muffler - it opens and closes based on exhaust flow and is an impediment to flow.

Your point, matty-tc, is simply that a turbo robs less power and makes more than a supercharger which all these academic types are also saying. Engineers and students of physics and just overall smarties like to argue over such things as the existence of free energy.

OT but isn't this nicer? To lightly pounce on people for calling a turbo a source of free energy instead of jumping someone for calling the header in a tC "headers"? How infinitely more academic this is..

In anycase, for those people who say streetable turbos really don't have excessive lag - C&D calls the WRX turbo "wait 'til tomorrow turbo lag." I felt that was reasonably amusing.

Edit: instaposted, blast!

Edit: I'm such a nerd..

Good post...... you nerd

Quick Reply: what do you think is better turbos or superchargers