Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: what do you think is better
superchargers
26.09%
turbos
73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

what do you think is better turbos or superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

forget both.. im talking about leaf blower here.. its cheap, easy... and PROVEN.. see here

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....D-A1AD23CA9564
Old 09-02-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Smarty" people are probably the only people who'll bother arguing laws of physics :D

It's a nice excercise for the ol' brain.

Well since we're talking about being a drag on the engine - someone should get one of those Typhoon s/c and hook up another car battery to it so that can spin faster than a regular Typhoon and won't take away from the regular car battery. The only cost of that is the weight - other than that you won't have any engine restrictions!

How about this: mount a bit of water in a resevoir near the header and a turbine above the water. As the water evaporates it spins the turbine and makes boost. Steam goes past the turbines and condenses on a sheet of aluminum that is insulated on the header side but is close to wear the FMIC would sit so would be cold and the steam would condense into water again and go back to the resevoir.

However, the loss of heat energy will in turn be a loss of kinetic energy for the exhaust. But whatevers, the actual pathway will stay the same and so long as theres a continual flow of exhaust gas it won't get bogged down too much. This system I bet would have some awesome low end as I think you can start boiling water even at idle. You'd reach max boost at idle all the way to redline. Bigger turbine would only necessitate a larger resevoir and a little longer for the water to get up to temperature. As long as the car is warmed up you can basically boost however much you want, whenever you want!

edit:Thanks, engifineer, 'ppreciate it. Being called a nerd means a lot to me coming from you! :D
Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Well, since the laws of physics apply to EVERYTHING, then why not bring them up?
OK then, how much power does a turbo use to create it's power?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

screw both s/c and t/c go w/ a leaf blower
Old 09-03-2005, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
Originally Posted by engifineer
Well, since the laws of physics apply to EVERYTHING, then why not bring them up?
OK then, how much power does a turbo use to create it's power?
?? Well, that depends on the rotational mass of the turbine, the frictional components of the bearings, size of turbine, resistance due to the intake... on and on.. There is no magical number, just as there is none for the drag of a SC. It depends on all of the specs for the unit in its particular application. What are we arguing here? That a turbo does not introduce extra burden on the engine? There really is no way around that. I have agreed and agreed that a sc typically wastes more, but NOTHING is a perfect conductor of energy anywhere.

Here is a good example... why use a catback??? To reduce restriction in the exhaust to gain power... so if you add restriction, what happens? You lose some of your effective power. The difference with the turbo is that the gain you recieve overcomes the used energy to provide a net gain overall. The SC does the same, just not necessarilly as efficient as a turbo at a given point.

I really dont know what else to say, or really where you are going with the argument, which is not what I wanted the discussion to turn into originally.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand what you're saying I'm just not sure why you're bringing up the point. Nothing ever makes power without giving up energy. otherwise there would be a perpetual motion machine powering our power grid.

But for arguement's sake on a discussion between supercharging and turbos, it just doesn't make sense to bring up (in my opinion)...
We're not discussing physics specifically. We are discussing differences in forced induction into a combustion engine.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The only reason I brought it up was due to the discussion around efficiency. Your earlier post sounded like you were saying that a turbo does not waste any energy. I think that was what we were trying to argue. Sounds more like a misunderstanding to me.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i know it's not the perfect creator of energy but the energy inefficiency created by the turbo's present in the way of the exhaust flow is extremely minimal in comparison to the resistance on the crank compared to a supercharger.

i think we're on the same page now
Old 09-07-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thomasabin
Originally Posted by Kenshin
Get rocket propulsion, I hear that the space ship has around one million HP or so.

Or you could use the search button and stop asking question that have been answreed a million times over.
couldnt have said it better......anyone notice this guys been askin questions that have been in other forums plenty of times already? when i saw this question i already knew it was you who asked it....Just do some research instead of postin a million questions and expecting everyone to spoon feed you answers.
and mebbe a lil bit of this:

you are a dick trickle