Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Whats with the lack of 4-2-1 headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Whats with the lack of 4-2-1 headers?

I just realized that the megan, alphawerks, and dc sport headers are a 4-1 design. The only 4-2-1 is the Monster motorworks at a cost of $800!! I am looking for a 4-2-1 header to match with my TRD supercharger. I like that when my car was stock, the hp and tq numbers were pretty close at 160/163. After the supercharger, it comes out to like 220-225hp and like 180-190tq. That is quite a difference. We all know that 4-1 is for top end and 4-2-1 is for low and mid range. The TRD s/c pulls hard all the way to redline, so the top end is already good. I want a 4-2-1 to increase torque and bring the low end up to match the hp output.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dynoed 160whp n/a?? good god lol

either way there is to mutch metal and design involved in it for most companys to bother taking the time to make one so weapon r basicly has free rain and can charge whatever they want

i would like one also and plan on bulidng one soon i just have other little things im trying to fix up now so i pushed that off a bit although i do have my design done in autocad i just need to build now

to mutch to do not enough time or cash
Old 01-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
you dynoed 160whp n/a?? good god lol
I was talking about crank hp. Thats why I said hp and not whp. If i was talkin about whp, I wouldn't have said 220-225 with the s/c. We all know the s/c makes about 192-200whp which is (like I said) 220-225 hp
Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just FYI, an alphawerks header combined with an s-pipe will give you nearly the same power at significantly less money. We're talking a difference of one 1-2 hp, which is still within the range of error between dyno runs. Also, take a look at the dyno of the header test and you'll also notice the aw header makes power down low as well. It would be better to look at a head to head dyno between mmw and aw with s-pipe, but i'm willing to bet the difference will not be substantial by any means. If the mmw is really what you want, creative compacts is selling it for 680 if i'm correct. Or, you can wait a while for the draxas header to come out, which I think is going to be a 4-2-1 design.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You are correct, there is only a 1-2HP difference between them, however that is not what he wants. He is looking for more of a balanced power curve which will be better achieved by using a 4-2-1 design. Too bad though that only mmw makes one.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

Yeah, well basically there is my situation. I ordered the DraXas cat-back system with s-pipe. I wanted to wait for DraXas to come out with their header. I talked to their VP and he said it would be months before it would come out. I have the TRD s/c and want to get the most power out of it. If I put on the Draxas system with s-pipe, I will still be restricted at the header and intake. I think once i get the supercharger intake, header, s-pipe, and cat-back, I'll be at where I want to be.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well being that the mmw header replaces the s-pipe, your gonna have to get rid of your draxas one when you put it on. I may be more cost effective to just get the exhaust without the s-pipe if you go with the mmw. I ordered that same exhaust with s-pipe, which is why I just decided to go with the alphawerks. I too wanted the draxas header but i'm impatient and cant wait 3 months for it to be released. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
well being that the mmw header replaces the s-pipe, your gonna have to get rid of your draxas one when you put it on. I may be more cost effective to just get the exhaust without the s-pipe if you go with the mmw. I ordered that same exhaust with s-pipe, which is why I just decided to go with the alphawerks. I too wanted the draxas header but i'm impatient and cant wait 3 months for it to be released. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.
Oh I never said I wanted to get the MMW header. No way in hell am I payin that much for a header. I will either get the alphawerks or wait for the draxas. How much do you think an intake, header, s-pipe, cat-back will give me with the supercharger?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I honestly cant say for sure, but i'll be a bit conservative and say around 20hp. The thing thats really gonna extract all that power for you with all those mods would be a custom dyno tune with one of the piggyback ecu's like the eManage or unichip. I'd stay away from the the safc since it cant adjust timing which is something you would like to tinker around with especially with FI.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the 4-1 and 4-2-1 mid range/top end depends on engines..

its not always true.

if you say this is true. then why do we have higher gains in the mid range with 4-1 header than the top end?

or why honda people have higher gains in the top end with 4-2-1 header instead of bottom/mid?

it all depends on the car

and hitting 160whp isnt a hard feat.

i hit 151 with AW header alone. add intake and the rest of the exhaust, i might make over 160whp actually.

but back on topic,
if you look at the DC header design, its 4-1 on the exterior but if you look at the bottom or the bottoem flange, the left 2 pipes air flow doesnt touch the right 2 pipe's air flow, its separated by a divider.

i dont have DC header but i've seen this on there designs. correct me if im wrong people with DC header's