Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Whirring noise, many panel lights on... is my alternator toast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question Whirring noise, many panel lights on... is my alternator toast?

Hi all, I'm not very car-knowledgeable, so I'd really appreciate your help.

A couple days ago my 2007 tC (~92K miles) started running louder. It seemed like there was a loud whirring from the front right part of the car. Being a busy person and a bad car owner, I didn't really investigate.

Last night on my 10 mile drive home, the check engine light and battery light came on. (Uh oh.) The radio signal got weaker, so I turned off the radio and the air to spare the battery as much as possible. The battery light would turn off while the car was moving but come back on at red lights. Toward the end of the drive, the ABS light and parking brake lights were also coming on at red lights.

Afraid that the car would poop out before I could get it home, I revved the engine at the last few red lights. This got some of those panel lights to turn off. Was thankful to get home safely, now figuring I can have it towed to a nearby mechanic this weekend.

What do you think? My uneducated guess is that the alternator has gone bad... How much should I expect to spend at the mechanic? (No, I'm not handy enough for DIY.) Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ktwo; 12-03-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added details
Old 12-03-2015, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bingo, my thoughts exactly. Those are tell tale signs of a failing alternator, dash lights and all. Unfortunately I can't begin to guess mechanic pricing since I do all the work myself. It is a fairly easy job on these cars since the alternator is easy to access, but that won't stop a mechanic from overcharging you regardless. Hopefully you know someone who you trust to do it for you.

My guess is that the part is about $200 for a new aftermarket alternator. Personally I'd probably try to source a used low mileage one from a local junkyard. Should be able to get if for well under $100. It's probably shared among several Toyota models (Camry, etc.). Good luck.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your prompt reply! I'll call a few mechanics for quotes and hope not to get gouged too badly.

I'm guessing it's better to get towed to a mechanic (free with AAA roadside) than to try to drive it there after the sketchy commute and a 60 hour hiatus?

Assuming the alternator is the culprit, should I also replace the battery because it hasn't been getting recharged properly?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't necessarily jump on getting a battery right away, although I wonder if there's even enough juice left to start the car. In any case, you can always change the battery later if you find it's not holding charge well. Batteries aren't cheap so only change it if you know it's bad.

Also, yes I'd tow it rather than drive it at this point. If it's going to be a while before you get it fixed, I'd recommend borrowing a charger and charge up the battery beforehand. Wet cell batteries like these last the longest when they are kept topped up.

Alternatively, if the mechanic you go to is only a few miles away, you might be able to charge the battery overnight and just drive there under battery power. Don't do this if it's more than say a 5 minute drive.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again for the additional advice. I plan to have it towed the few miles to a shop Saturday morning.

Called a number of places, each quoting me $350-400 for alternator replacement. I know gearheads would end up spending less, but I figure that's not a bad amount since I don't have to do any of the legwork.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, that's really not bad at all if it includes parts and a warranty.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sounds like the alternator. This happened to me right before I deployed last year. Talk about bad timing right? Luckily I had my dad watch the car while I was gone and took it a shop to get replaced.