Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

who would win a 1/4 race between a stock tc and civic si

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

also you guys keep talking like the Si has no torque. Its got only about 10-15 less than us and way more hp plus an LSD stock.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats an LSD?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This has been discussed a million time. Engines create tq.. thats it.. tq is the only force output. HP is a measurment of how that tq is applied at a given rpm. The honda motors have a lower tq number (due to the stroke) but can spin higher rpm. You can have one car that has more tq than another yet both can create the same amount of power.

One thing tq does in a 1/4 race though is put more emphasis on the other driver skill. A higher tq motor can get away with taller gears since it is making its power down low. This is why the big boys run large displacement, high tq motors. For example, a Z06 can do an amazing 0-60 almost irregardless of driver.. why? It runs tall gears and never has to shift out of 1st gear to do so It can run over 70 in 1st. It can also start from a dead stop in 5th due to the large amount of tq it creates.

So as I have said over and over before, you cant really compare on one value or another. It has to do with power under the curve and the gearing of the car.

In other applications, for example, you will have more luck with a heavier vehicle if it has a larger amount of tq. It produces its power down low, thus can get a large amount of weight moving. One reason a diesel (known for low rpm but a lot of tq) is great for pulling large loads.

So you can be fast with either setup. It is how it all works together.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want to be on a more even keel with an si start with an lsd and go from there. Isd= limited slip differential.
besides the si is an upgraded civic, if you want a more even contest try a base model civic.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:19 AM

a tc will smoke a base model civic hands down , I would like to see a 99-00 si or 02-05 si both cars have the same hp as tc! but lower torque!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer

One thing tq does in a 1/4 race though is put more emphasis on the other driver skill. A higher tq motor can get away with taller gears since it is making its power down low. This is why the big boys run large displacement, high tq motors. For example, a Z06 can do an amazing 0-60 almost irregardless of driver.. why? It runs tall gears and never has to shift out of 1st gear to do so It can run over 70 in 1st. It can also start from a dead stop in 5th due to the large amount of tq it creates.
uhm...say what now? only carsi can think of that doesn't have to change gears between 0 and 70 mph are those with CVT's or the tesla roadster...unless you're talking about modified z06's with taller gears. it still needs to shift once to make it to 60, and then again to make it to 70.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Ok first off dude. An Si will even beat a S/C tC. The tC cant beat an Si especially an auto. You might wanna make sure its really an Si. There have been 20 million threads about this and the tC is way inferior. Soemthing is not adding up.
i have to disagree...i've beat si with my auto tc stock also...alot depends on what the race is 0-60 tc by half a car 0-70 even and from 0-80 or 0-100si by half a car...but from 0-110+....the tc kills si when it hits the gear at 110 it pulls a car length or more
Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

easy way to under stand TQ.........TQ is the amount of energy you have to push an object from A-B and HP is how fast you are allowed to push it.

There is more to it but that is the basics,but torque gets the object moving,more torque the easier it gets moving in the power band which is HP and the HP makes that go through the band faster the more HP there is.

Also you might want to verify that they are runninga real Si against you.......with even IHE they are a lot faster than stock.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Anyone selling a set of golf clubs?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

these threads are so effing stupid "who would win.." god does it matter? will it really give u that much street cred if u beat an si? or even attempt to? u drive an auto tc that dynos stock at 136hp. yet u have a injen cai right? and u said u gained 8-10 hp right? so how come when I asked u wat u dynod at in anothe thread u didn't even post back? who gives a damn about si's if u wanna prove sumthing spank a civic with an h22 swap or sumthin in the range. IBTL
Old 06-20-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber

uhm...say what now? only carsi can think of that doesn't have to change gears between 0 and 70 mph are those with CVT's or the tesla roadster...unless you're talking about modified z06's with taller gears. it still needs to shift once to make it to 60, and then again to make it to 70.

Source: General Motors
June 13, 2005

DETROIT – The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.
And from :

http://www.gmeurope.info/geneva2006/...rvette_z06.pdf

GENEVA - The Corvette Z06 is the fastest, most powerful production car ever offered by General
Motors At its heart is the LS7 V8 engine, achieving 377 kW (512 horsepower) at 6300 rpm. In first gear it delivers a 0-100 km/h performance of 3,9 seconds and it has a top speed of 320 km/h. It is
the first time a Corvette Z06 is available in Europe.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...6911_chart.pdf

I was a bit off on the 70 mph speed, but a z06 can run its 0-60 in FIRST gear just like I said.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok first off dude. An Si will even beat a S/C tC. The tC cant beat an Si especially an auto. You might wanna make sure its really an Si. There have been 20 million threads about this and the tC is way inferior. Soemthing is not adding up.
bout time someone realizes this. camry motor versus honda equals FAIL....
Old 06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these threads crack me up lol
Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

these threads are retarted and they make the person who posted them look bad. OP said he felt a huge gain from a CAI and I literally LAWLED at that and he said he got the car dyno'd which I would love to see the dyno sheet on that one. 136hp on an auto plus 4 hp if ur lucky
Old 06-20-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
these threads are retarted and they make the person who posted them look bad. OP said he felt a huge gain from a CAI and I literally LAWLED at that and he said he got the car dyno'd which I would love to see the dyno sheet on that one. 136hp on an auto plus 4 hp if ur lucky
what are you talking about? i never claiimed anything on a dyno... maybe ur confused by a post i made in another thread where someone knocked cai's and i said that on dyno's the injen had shown like plus 8 to the wheels... its in another thread on here when they compared all kinds of different cai's..

i dont know why you are coming at me like that.. the only reason i asked this question is because the torque is so much lower than its hp for the si so i didnt know how that would effect things...

why dont u chill out, i havent avoided anyone or made any claims yet alone any claims that i didnt back up
Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

i have beaten si while i was fully stock. i remember on instance where i had an si all the way to the end of 5th gear with a passenger.

but then again... i may just be a really good driver.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow still not locked. We need to do a poll to get a new rule put in about these threads. Off-topic cafe or ban!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Everyone can talk about this subject until they're blue in the face.
People in this thread saying that they raced this si or that si....etc... Now stock vs. stock I'm sure one of the two cars is faster. Also remember when comparing a stock tc to a stock si...you're already not comparing apples to apples as the si is the upper line civic. however.... the one thing I have not seen in this thread yet is a large variable that is not being considered. If you want an honest run comparison between these two cars... use the SAME driver to do a few runs in each car. A lot of how a vehicle performs has to do with the driver and their skill level.

just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Wow still not locked. We need to do a poll to get a new rule put in about these threads. Off-topic cafe or ban!
I agree.... ^^ X2
Old 06-20-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

every forum needs a trash thread to vent and D*k around .... just let it ride.. it will die soon enough.

Quick Reply: who would win a 1/4 race between a stock tc and civic si