Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Why not NITROUS? Vs. TRD supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Why not NITROUS? Vs. TRD supercharger

I know warranty but NOS can be uninstalled in 2 hours and your ECU can be re-set for a major dealer issue.

Anyway the SC @ $3000 for 40 horses. You really need the speed not that often. Do you need to spend $$ for 94 Oct all the time? If the car can handle 40-50 hp all the time you are not going to toss a rod on a 50 shot. Nice kit installed by a pro..maybe $750ish. Re-fills not that bad vs. how much you may use it. Flash factor like a SC.

Don't turn this into a bash or turbo thread..if I wanted to void warranty for a turbo kit I could still just do a 125 shot ect..

Scott

P.S. so your tank is filled with 89 and you feel frisky for that day you can always add the nos oct. booster and or may be able to NOS on 87? (input experience there would be great).

Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the main reason ppl dont do it is becosue there not properly informed about it and fear it while others dont want to pay to refill a bottle

my excuse is this is probly the roughest year i have had financialy but i guess it is for most ppl when they turn 20 and buy a new car and go through 3 jobs in 1 year hahaha but soon soon i will have it if i didnt get rear ended last month i would have it right now
Old 09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) your horsepower figures our pulled out of your ___.. nothing has been substantiated

2) you don't have to refill superchargers

3) superchargers are easier to control

4) warranty

5) it's more fun to go fast all the time and not just at WOT on a strip

6) ...er.. buy a turbo
Old 09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off 40 hp is the going info..and even if WAS 100 HP the nos kit for 100 HP is a jet swap not more cash so the question is still in place. I understand getting to work..punching it..eating gas and going super fast may be important but I had a 350 HP Shelby Daytona running 24 pounds of boost years ago and trust me after a while you put around to save gas.
So I got your point but still$3000 estimated..price difference for actual need is the question.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO (NOS is a Holley Trademark name) has come a long way over the years. A 50 shot will hurt nothing. You will find you use it more than you think.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
1) your horsepower figures our pulled out of your butt.. nothing has been substantiated

2) you don't have to refill superchargers

3) superchargers are easier to control

4) warranty

5) it's more fun to go fast all the time and not just at WOT on a strip

6) ...er.. buy a turbo
1. that hp figure can change all it wants nos can match or beat
2. i don't have to run 94 oct 4-ever (commited) big bottles can last a long time if you use only when you need it.
3. nos is a flip of a switch when needed?
4. hence EZ removal re-set ECU (save major $$$)
5. more fun vs. making power when you need it...a nos shot does not have to be used on a strip?
6. why? IF we are going the void warranty path I can change a jet and run with any turbo set up (stock bottom/top engine TC with )
Old 09-15-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
..... You will find you use it more than you think.

hahaha this i have heared alot of ppl i know that ran nitrous got tired of paying to fill the bottle up atleast every other week so they went truboed or n/a
Old 09-15-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If u don't mind gambling away a reliable car than by all means go for it. Nos is like crack for the car, although 50 shot ain't anything harsh, neither is the increase. To gain full potential from Nos ur going to need more than 50 shot. In addition, Nos isn't a consistant gain in power (the car pulls chaotically). Running Nos is running the risk of blowing the motor.
A super charger isn't a dramatic increase in power, however it is a lot more reliable and provides constant power. The pull isn't as much as Nos or Turbo (unless its high boost), and to match those levels of power a lot of forced power will be needed which is just as risky as Nos or Turbo.
If u want a reliable source of power go with the SC, but if u want extreme power I'd suggest rebuilding the motor to handle such conditions before running it to the extreme.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 400amonth
first off 40 hp is the going info..and even if WAS 100 HP the nos kit for 100 HP is a jet swap not more cash so the question is still in place. I understand getting to work..punching it..eating gas and going super fast may be important but I had a 350 HP Shelby Daytona running 24 pounds of boost years ago and trust me after a while you put around to save gas.
So I got your point but still$3000 estimated..price difference for actual need is the question.
first off, 40hp is a rumor. bottom line. nobody has anything concrete. 5-7psi is an estimated guess, 40hp is an estimate guess, the prices are estimated guesses (considering they're not being sold yet) .... you can take them as the holy grail of TRD supercharger specs but i'm not

i don't care how many shot nitrous you run or how you can change the jets, i'd still rather have a supercharger/turbo... and i know a LOT of people who feel the same.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not saying your wrong and not trying to argue but the tc motor is strong now im sure you have seen how mutch boost ppl are dumping in to them and there running fine

also i have reved mine to over 8500 rpm by accedint and it still runs as great as the day i got it and joe@dezod has done the same with no issues if you try that on a d16 honda engine your asking for trouble lol

but like i said just offering my input more then any thing else
Old 09-15-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. that hp figure can change all it wants nos can match or beat
2. i don't have to run 94 oct 4-ever (commited) big bottles can last a long time if you use only when you need it.
3. nos is a flip of a switch when needed?
4. hence EZ removal re-set ECU (save major $$$)
5. more fun vs. making power when you need it...a nos shot does not have to be used on a strip?
6. why? IF we are going the void warranty path I can change a jet and run with any turbo set up (stock bottom/top engine TC with )

1. turbo's can beat NOS, rock paper scissors. who cares? honestly this is going to be a dealer option for people who want to finance it in with their car or someone who's not a gear head to add onto their car and go faster with a warranty and no tuning.

2. then don't.

3. is this a question?

4. why would you want to remove a supercharger? i don't understand

5. more fun always making power even at part throttle

6. if we're going to void the warranty, then pull the engine, build a 2az-fe, strap on a t3/t4e and some methanol and run 2 bar... match that with your jet change.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't under estimate the power of Nos... I've seen with my own eyes a 150 shot Nos civic smoke a turbo civic on the drag strip (even with the turbo civic having a 2-3 second head start). However, it truly depends on the setup ur running, the driver, and luck.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

150shot of nitrous is more power than 5psi of turbo boost... that's apples and oranges

there are too many non-listed factors there.

i'm not downtalking nitrous but people making serious power in compact cars are running turbos (and sometimes in combination with methanol or nitrous)
Old 09-16-2005, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what could happen if you install the Supercharger and then install NOS? (in the same car)
Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Revilo
what could happen if you install the Supercharger and then install NOS? (in the same car)
you would have a fast (depending on the SC) reliable car, that can hit higher speds at times when u spray...
Old 09-16-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the message and or thought I am trying to explain is simple. many people will add/buy the SC @ 3000 est. and they are prob. people who may just want extra power when they need it on those rare "he wants to run me" situations...not for quicker passing on the highway. So you go SC 99% bet they will expect 94 oct gas to be used all the time. Now we have turbo kits showing tc motors taking ALOT of boost. I love turbo's ...wish that was coming vs. a SC...i have owned/built a turbo monster in the past. All my thought is I have been thinking about the SC very much but the $$ for the boost may not be a good ratio. So TRD SC set aside..a fellow may think screw it..go turbo..my daily. Well my thought is a 50-100 hp shot would give me all the power I would need to hang with some quicker cars and or that rare street/highway race. Also got a feeling if I went to the track to get my slip it would impress...for $750. Now this re-fill the bottle issue. If I save $2250 "ish" and can run normal gas most of the time cause I decide when to "use the power"..I think a refill once a month or maybe twice still is cheaper.

You can un-install a NOS set up in around 1 hr and re-set the ECU should I need a major issue serviced. Some kits can be installed very stealth for the oil change visits...etc...
Old 09-16-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I save $2250 "ish" and can run normal gas most of the time cause I decide when to "use the power"..I think a refill once a month or maybe twice still is cheaper.

You can un-install a NOS set up in around 1 hr and re-set the ECU should I need a major issue serviced. Some kits can be installed very stealth for the oil change visits...etc...
WTH... are you kidding me? If you are using nitrous you should pump premium everytime because you never know when your going to get the itch to spray. Not to mention if you mix what you have left in the tank with premium your going to get a lower mix than 94.

Secondly...even if you even if you remove the nitrous kit any trained tech can tell if the car has been using nitrous.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GoSwim
If I save $2250 "ish" and can run normal gas most of the time cause I decide when to "use the power"..I think a refill once a month or maybe twice still is cheaper.

WTH... are you kidding me? If you are using nitrous you should pump premium everytime because you never know when your going to get the itch to spray. Not to mention if you mix what you have left in the tank with premium your going to get a lower mix than 94.

Secondly...even if you even if you remove the nitrous kit any trained tech can tell if the car has been using nitrous.
the only way they could realy tell is if the nitrous was causing the car to run to lean and you got hot spots on the pistons other then that it should wear no diffrent then if it had any other kind of f/i
Old 09-16-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

a black light does wonders...
Old 09-16-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nos = instant hp on a press of a button

supercharger = hp with you all the time. depending how you drive depends on the hp?

nos = you can burn a hole on your engine you can also wear out your engine faster with nos.

super charger = safer, no refills, just let it sit and work its majic.

Quick Reply: Why not NITROUS? Vs. TRD supercharger