Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

will this sound good ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default will this sound good ?

megan downpipe(not installed) .megan midpipe(notinstalled) and megan axleback(installed). i wanna add the midpipe and down pipe will that make it sound louder? and will it make it faster? also if i add headers down the line will it make it raspy?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you add those things you will lose power instead of gaining if your car is not tuned, if i were you i would go with the headers.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Header = RASP --> will not make it faster (minimal hp gain at best) and will need a resonator
Downpipe --> more air flow (minimal hp gain)
Midpipe --> more air flow (minimal hp gain)

If anything these will lower your back end pressure and may equal less power in the lower rpm range.

With header, intake, full catback, s-pipe and NST pulley set I dyno'ed at about 180whp on a dynojet about 150whp on a Mustang Dyno. I made about 20 to 30 extra hp over stock.

$400 header, $150 spipe, $500 exhaust, $250 Pulleys, $300 intake ---> could've almost bought a used turbo kit.

If you're looking for sound but not much power go for it. If you're looking for sound and power, get a full exhaust not just the axleback and think about some form of forced induction.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my cars a automatic. so ____ forced induc. and if i get the headers midpipe and downpipe it will be a full xhaust and how do i get it tuned?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by supercharged07tc
if you add those things you will lose power instead of gaining if your car is not tuned, if i were you i would go with the headers.
If he adds the header, there is only 1, he will have rasp with the aftermarket exhaust that is already installed. He will also need to add a quality resonator to get rid of the rasp.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how can i add aresonator to the midpipe and i think the midpipe comes with a resonator?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a dc sports header, injen intake, zpi s pipe, skunk 2 megapower exhaust and had no rasp. it was faster than stock too so i dont know how it made me slower. oh also zpi crank pulley.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09crimsontc
how can i add aresonator to the midpipe and i think the midpipe comes with a resonator?
The resonator that comes with it is poop.

You'll need to order a resonator Aero AR25 or Vibrant Ultra Quiet and have an exhaust shop, somewhere like Meineke, and have them weld it on for you.

Get your header or whatever else you want first so you can see how it sounds. Just don't expect power from it. A nice deep sound is what you should expect but it'll still be slow.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I had strup header, NST crank, water pump and alternator pulleys, Magnaflow catback exhaust, invidia s-pipe, Injen CAI and had a whole crap load of rasp. Could have been the straight through piping on the catback....either way I had rasp. It was faster but not the $1500 - $2000 that is all was worth; 20 - 30 hp max. You might actually make the 160 to the wheels it is rated at. Waste of money IMO but at least you get a deep sound.

Oh and when you first get it all installed you're going to think you're so much faster because of the sound lmao.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what if i get just a midpipe(thisway its acatback) or just a downpipe. with no headers/ or a midpipe and downpipe and my axleback with no headers?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Well here is good question,how much do you want to spend,car is an automatic,that is fine,so is mine and I am jsut as quick as everyone here with a stick.

Turbo is kinda a waste on auto,even with tranny build it is a waste......supercharger,well that is a waste too once you add up the cost,it is not worth it.

I chose to put on a header for one reason.......I goto shows and if you want to compete you need to have the motor looking not so stock.

I gained some power from the header,not sure what,but it did free up a little power,car is quicker but nothing to write home about......lol.

I gained more power when I got rid of the TRD cannister and got HKS....well maybe not gained power but it did free up what was there and car pulls a lot better,and sounds much better too.

Depending on waht header you buy will determine if you need Spipe or not,MMW and Tsudo have their own pipe.

Midpipes are kinda over rated,any muffler shop for under $150 can put you a high flow cat,good quality resonator and 2.5"pipe from the header to the muffler.

Some good resonators are Aero 25,Magnaflow,Thrush,and Vibrant,there are others too,stay away from cherry bombs,two months later car will sound bad again once the glass in side has burned out.

Also you will want to get a CEL eliminator,MMW comes with one that works great,there are also antifoulers that are cheap and are hit or miss as to if they work or not.....most do work though.

It all comes down to how much do you wnat to spend and what do you want to accoomplish.

I have MMW 4-2-1 header with high flow cat,2.5"pipeing to resonators which are 2 12" thrush,then 2.5" pipeing to muffler location where I have HKS high power.

with my set up it is not droning,not raspy,but if I get on it I can be heard down the block.........

Under the hood it looks great,and works well.

The MMW header is a pain to install in an automatic,it takes 2 guys,and I recomend taking out the radiator and fans to get it in,it is like 50/50chance of breaking radiator if you don't,and that gets spendy.

Also budget in cost of O2 sensor as they can strip gettign them out and you may need to buy new one,looking at $150 for one or more.

The Megan midpipe is a nice looking setup,but once you ad header you will have to cut it up to have new resoantor welded in......the one on it sucks as they all do.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Yeah what he said except the part about being as quick as a stick, I can beat him easily

You gotta tell us what you're looking for bro. Power, sound, looks and your budget.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im looking for a deep sound and power. madddd budget im broke as siht
Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maby even just getting a high flow cat and cutting out tthe resonator?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

or you could skip the I/H/E and get a used supercharger.

also, don't forget

Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by supercharged07tc
get REAL!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i dont see how ill loose power if i just change my exhaust system to aftermarket basically making it a megan midpipe/downpipe/axleback and thats it maby not headers. how would i looose power instead of gain it if its more open and less restrictions
Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09crimsontc
yea i dont see how ill loose power if i just change my exhaust system to aftermarket basically making it a megan midpipe/downpipe/axleback and thats it maby not headers. how would i looose power instead of gain it if its more open and less restrictions
back end pressure, I think is what he was trying to get at
Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

If your looking for noise, but broke, get a CAI first. I've just started toying around with my exhaust, and trust me, it will cost more than what you account for. You put one thing in, so the entire sound changes, so you pay more to tune that sound, then add something. its a long cycle.

long story short: be wise, plan carefully, and have extra money on hand
Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an automatic as well, and im more going for good looks with my car, but want to add a few things to make it accelerate faster and just feel a bit faster so i have added a injen cold air intake, and soon to be megan axle back exhaust... those 2 things alone will make it accelerate better which makes it feel faster... unless you are going to a dragstrip to race people... acceleration is all u need to feel fast

Quick Reply: will this sound good ?