Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Would I be a fool? Header question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Would I be a fool? Header question.

What would happen if I added headers but kept the original exhaust, I really want a super quiet exhaust but also want to gain more HP anyone done this?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what I have. You can still feel the boost in HP but you dont get the loud noise. I have the AW and had some rasp, but replacing the stock resonator with a larger one took care of it. Heres a vid: CLICK ME
Old 05-09-2006, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah thats what I want, where did you get the resonator, which model did you use, also how do you like the engine damper was it easy to install?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All the resonator info is in this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

I love the damper. It make a big improvement in throttle response shifter feel and reduces wheel hop. Install is easy too.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely not a fool! I had this setup for a while and I liked it a lot. Can still feel the power and the exhaust just gets a tiny bit louder. Rasp is minimal. All sounds great!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is definately what I want Im actually gonna get a resonator put on first and then the header, which header is quietest?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MMW and the Megan have been reported to have less rasp than the Alphawerks. The MMW is much more expensive although it is a 4-2-1 design and incorporates its own s-pipe. In the 4-1 category, the Alphawerks seems to produce the most HP, but is know for creating more rasp.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would like to do the same also.. but how do i cure that 02 sensor problem?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by melvynray
i would like to do the same also.. but how do i cure that 02 sensor problem?
you cant.

unless you add a cat in between the 2, so the ECM doesnt see the same amount of air flow. if you have the cat in between then the 2nd sensor wouldnt foul out.

adding the antifouler"spark plug anti fouler" is the only way to extend it away from the exhaust flow.

or go stock header
- no rasp , no cel
Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tikbhoy

adding the antifouler"spark plug anti fouler" is the only way to extend it away from the exhaust flow.

or go stock header
- no rasp , no cel
so if he got just the header and added the anti-fouler plug thingy, no CEL light right? what if you later add a CAT+exhaust, do you have to take off the anti-fouler or it doesnt matter?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just extend the o2 sensor wires on the S-Pipe, and relocate it behind the stock cat on the midpipe. No CEL should pop up.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did what the instigator did........worked out awesome, as for the CEL issue, mine goes on and off, but i have a code reader so i just check to make sure its nothing else.....but no problems, its quiet and has some decent pick-up.......
Old 05-10-2006, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

on a website I saw something that simulated the o2 I assume its so you can take it out completely and keep your cel off too anyone use this?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Would I be a fool? Header question.

Originally Posted by leastbay
What would happen if I added headers but kept the original exhaust, I really want a super quiet exhaust but also want to gain more HP anyone done this?
DC header + OEM exhaust = My current setup, no rasp. Hope that helped, good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

any sound clips ? and do you have an s pipe? also which dc header theres a 4-2-1 ceramic and a 4-1 stainless
Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No sound clips. No AM s-pipe. 4-2-1 ceramic.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the megan header with stock exhaust and you can definately feel a gain in performance..

The sound is almost exactly the same as stock.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the MMW header AND.. have both the TRD axle back and the factory axle back... let's just say that the factory axle back is well.. silent... when you get on it you get just a hint.. and i do mean "just" a hint of sound... and that is with the factory components...

as for headers.... if your looking for a 4-2-1 header.,.. id maybe try DC,... from what i have read and with my experience with the MMW header... it is a hit or miss on fitment.. MMW is the more expensive of the headers... i think you can pick it up now for alittle over $500.... i think the DC 4-2-1 was like 3 and some change....
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member

now we know that the exhaust header will add power, but i see a problem in using it with the stock exhaust system...wouldnt that negate most of the power supposedly added? i mean i dont own a flow bench or anything like that but i imagine that any increased air flow out of the motor would bottleneck once it hit both the cats the resonator then the muffler, and then woudlnt all that backed up heat mess up the cats? im just saying these are the problems that come to mind when using this setup where sound levels would be the least of your issues then....if someone has proven answers than id like to hear them...what i dont want to hear is , it works on mine so there, now if you've been running this setup for 20K miles than ok you can get away with saying that, but if you've only had this setup for just a short period of time than any problems you may be experiencing wouldn't surface for a little bit.

just doesnt make sense to me to buy the header before the rest of the exhaust
Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ lame.

No, it doesnt negate power childdamien. And if you're not comfortable with adding a header before your exhaust, then don't, Nobody's twisting your arm. If it doesn't make sense to you, then it doesn't, what the **** do you want us to do? Hold your goddamn hand so you feel better about reading about how we put on a header before switching the OEM exhaust? Get out of here.

Quick Reply: Would I be a fool? Header question.