Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Would it be ok to go 91 octane in california?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Would it be ok to go 91 octane in california?

Now i know there are lots of threads on octane fuels and stuff like that, but as i was reading online and all i read that it would be a good idea to run 91 on my scion tc in california because california has pretty bad gas. Now i'm not trying to discuss if 87 or 91 is better. I just want to know from residents of california if california really does have bad gas or what people are saying online is just lies.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just stick with 87...
Old 09-27-2010, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only reason california gas is "bad" is because we dont have any higher than 91 octane readily available. many other states have 93 octane but it doesnt even matter for an N/A tC because it requires 87.

so just stay with 87 and you will be golden.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stick with 87, no need for more.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I own a 2001 4Runner SR5 & a 2006 Scion tC both cars get 91 as the grade of gas. The cars I owned before these also got 91 as the gas grade.

I follow a old school rule

"You get what you pay for"

So buying anything cheap = cheap and going high end or grade in this case is the best bet.

When you buy 91 as a grade you get more oil & more oil = better lubricant = longer life & cleaner gas. Some say you get more mileage out of higher grades of gas but I am yet to believe this because I own a Scion tC lol ;)

What is octane rating?

Octane rating is used to rate the volatility of gasoline. Lower the rating, easier it is for the gasoline to burn. It is based on the antiknock index, i.e. gasoline's ability to resist pre-ignition, or engine knock. Hence, higher the octane rating, lesser is the knocking.

Checkout details @ http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm
Old 09-28-2010, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nrgwar
I own a 2001 4Runner SR5 & a 2006 Scion tC both cars get 91 as the grade of gas. The cars I owned before these also got 91 as the gas grade.

So buying anything cheap = cheap and going high end or grade in this case is the best bet.

When you buy 91 as a grade you get more oil & more oil = better lubricant = longer life & cleaner gas. Some say you get more mileage out of higher grades of gas but I am yet to believe this because I own a Scion tC lol ;)

What is octane rating?

Octane rating is used to rate the volatility of gasoline. Lower the rating, easier it is for the gasoline to burn. It is based on the antiknock index, i.e. gasoline's ability to resist pre-ignition, or engine knock. Hence, higher the octane rating, lesser is the knocking.

you are correct that higher octane resists knock better but that isnt because of a higher oil contents... oil actually lowers the octane of gas making it more susceptible to knock

also if your na tc is knocking it isnt because you used too low an octane, you have a problem.

your not going to do any damage with higher octane and when my car was na i ocasionally ran some high octane shell case for the "V-power cleaning" (lulz).
spend your money how you want but there is no reason not to follow the owners manual which calls for 87.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You get what you pay for in parts, but since gas is an always changing variable, it does not work for this situation. The tC is designed to run on 87 octane, and will run best on that. Higher octane does not mean more performance. Neither does octane booster. Stop wasting your money and thinking higher octane means better performance because its simply not true. But, if you think this is the case, go on ebay and buy a "performance chip" (resistor) then post that it made sooooo much hp.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by nrgwar

What is octane rating?

With this logic, why aren't you buying the $9/gallon 107 octane fuel?
____ing moron. Go shoot yourself in the head with a large caliber bullet.