Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

WR / MMW Header Review ( PICS )

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default WR / MMW Header Review ( PICS )

Alright were do i start, lol. I know that there are already a few reviews on this header, but i would like to say what i think about it.

First Off, I bought this header back in early january from Creative Compacts / Promotion Tuning. Took maybe a week or so and it came in the mail via ups. When I opened the box i could see already that i was going to have problems with this header. The flange on the top was not at all were it should have been. It did not meet up with the metal gasket, and i ended up having an exhaust leak. Istalation was fun ( ha). The header did not fit very well. Were the donut gasket and the s-pipe meet, was hitting HITTING the engine support brace.

I called weapon-r direct, and spoke to Chris quit a few times, and to the best of there efforts, there was nothing really they could do besides send me out another one. just to make sure, i drove to the muffler shop and the owner told me that there was nothing wrong with the install i did, but just the design in the header.

Im not ____ed because i figure these are handmade, it is aftermarket, and things happen. So chris sent me an all new header and s-pipe combo in the mail in which i just got 2 1/2 weeks ago. installed everything allover to discover that the new header was flawless, and that the flange was perfect this time, however. the CEL eliminator was hitting HITTING the lower controll arm.

Now i was ____ed beacuse installing this header the first time and second time was a Bitc*, and i did not want to install a third one. I called Chris Again and he could not believe why it was hitting because they test fitted the header they gave me on a tC just to make sure it was Right. I took the s-pipe off, compared to 2, to find out the old s-pipe was LONGER than the new one by atleast 1 /12 inches. Damn. Leaving the CEL eliminator in a different location.

Out of curiosity, i installed the OLD s-pipe with the NEW header, and it was perfect, PERFECT! Finally. So im shipping back the old header and new s-pipe today to them so i dont get charged for 2 headers.

As far as the CEL, the new one and old one did not throw a CEL, but the old one THrew a light only when you were on the highway at around 85-90 MPH. I went to Autozone, and the code came up as ( Bank one, Sensor 2, LOW voltage ). I think it was the exhaust leak from the old header. I have not gotten a chance to go on the highway yet to test this one, but i will let you all know if it comes on.

Also, This header has very little rasp in the higher rpms, but absolutley none when your not WOT.

Anyways, I give weapon-r:

Customer servive 10 - 10

Install 8 - 10

Product 7 - 10

Current mods are Injen intake and custom axle back. Im going to the muffler shop today to get my full mid-pipe done as well.

Sorry for the long post. Now the PICS! enjoy:

Old 02-23-2006, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ne recordings of how the headers sound???
Old 02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

Hey man, congrats on the awesome header. Mine will be here tomorrow and hopefully will be installed on Saturday. I was anxious to see how well it works with the TRD supercharger. I believe I'll be the first to use the MMW header/s-pipe with the TRD blower. Did you replace the header gasket with a new one?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

no, Im going to try and get one up when i get the mid-pipe done today.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

I was wondering because some people say its absolutely necessary to replace the gasket and others say its not necessary.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That is an AWSOME looking header! Congrats. I have a Megan, I love it as well, tons cheaper and fit flawless the first time ;) But I have to hand it to ya, that is by far allot better looking than the megan!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

Ooooooooooooh I can't wait!!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i just got one! Should be in VERY VERY SOON!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion-ce
I was wondering because some people say its absolutely necessary to replace the gasket and others say its not necessary.
Sorry, you beat me to my other post. What i ment was i didnt have a sound clip up yet. The factory metal gasket can be reused, however toyota sells em' with tax for 28 dollars, so why not just get a new one?

Good luck with the header install
Old 02-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned
SL Member

dammit. I just got mine in the mail, and i have the same problem the other guy did. The first runner was too short, so they added like a 1" piece of pipe and welded it in to extend it. I don't know if I should send it back for another one. What do you ya'll think?
Old 02-25-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

that sucks man They totally have to get there quality up before they charge so freaking much for a header.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
that sucks man They totally have to get there quality up before they charge so freaking much for a header.
Manual Labor is expensive in the US, perfect quality controlled or not. You won't get around that, unless you buy a simpler megan or alpha mani.

Just be glad the price dropped, I paid much more for mine.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^ This is true, however i hope nobody else has problems.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

I am working it out with Chris W. and Leo from MMW. It should resolved soon
Old 02-27-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I hope it is, looks like a great header but MAN! If I paid that kinda cash for a header it better be flawless and fit flawless the first time. Almost everyone I have heard of that ordered that header has had issues.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

Just got off the phone with Leo from MMW. He was extremely helpful and we worked it out. He is finishing the welds on new MMW header and shipping it out to me today. I will be sending the other one back. That is great service. He got off the phone with so that he could finish welding the header to get it out to me today. for MMW.

I know others have had the same issues. As I have said before, these ARE hand made and variances WILL occur. Whats important here is that they are doing everything they can to make it right.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:54 PM
pkg
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what exhaust systems are you guys running with it?
I am considering this header but keeping the stock exhaust (for noise). Anyone else running this set-up?
What are your feelings about the sound of this header vs stock?
Did this header truely fix the CEL problem?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by pkg
I am considering this header but keeping the stock exhaust (for noise). Anyone else running this set-up?
To get the most power out of your header, you would want to open up the ENTIRE exhaust. header, s-pipe, and cat back exhaust. I have the DraXas catback and I love it. Best sounding exhaust I have heard on a tC. With the resonator built in, the noise from the header should be kept to a minimum.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
pkg
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion-ce
Originally Posted by pkg
To get the most power out of your header, you would want to open up the ENTIRE exhaust. header, s-pipe, and cat back exhaust. I have the DraXas catback and I love it. Best sounding exhaust I have heard on a tC. With the resonator built in, the noise from the header should be kept to a minimum.
Of course, but max power isnt what i am looking for, not yet anyways. The sound is my biggest concern with exhaust mods. I am looking to do the header than go with the SC install.

Depending on which full exhausts kits with resonators / silencers are available when i am ready to buy will get my money. Right now i am willing to give up some horsies to keep my car quiet ;)
Old 02-27-2006, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I envy all you guys who don't have to worry about smog laws and CARB. Damn you all, haha.

Quick Reply: WR / MMW Header Review ( PICS )