Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

yet another auto to manual question (ANOTHER ONE!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default yet another auto to manual question (ANOTHER ONE!)

to anyone who has done this did you have to rewire anything to keep your auto harness? any help is greatly appreciated.
diagrams would also help alot.

*edit: view current post.*

Last edited by Simplylibet; 11-22-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FIRST
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sell your auto tc and buy a manual. much easier and cheaper.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by its_ikon
BOOM!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

actually im doing a swap on my boys car and all together with everything with a 1,300 twin disk he only spend 2k so before u speak search it up it's alot cheaper to swap then to trade ur car in for a 5 speed car.

my advice to the OP is to buy a 5 speed computer and a 5 speed harness do things right the 1st time
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't feel like replacing like all the engine bay wiring harness. i know others have rewired. not looking to spend another 200+ dollars on the harness if theres a work around.
thanks for the input weezy, everyone's pretty ignorant. IT IS CHEAPER. i would get 10k for my 07 with not even 50k miles on it to go and buy the same car in stick for like 14k. doesn't make sense. and i'd have to take all the mods off and hope the car i got wasn't beat on/messed with.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jiggaman
BOOM!
When you have actually tried to do something to your car yourself, instead of paying a shop to do it. OR Actually know the amount of money this swap takes vs buying a new car then post in this thread. Go Screw yourselves.

And OP, ive done them both ways. Yes, getting a new harness is more costly but it is more functional, and looks a lot better. Do it right the first time. We got a manual harness for $70ish on ebay. And an ECU for $120ish.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright guess im going with the harness haha.
do you know if you can reuse the the axles. i know the passenger side is.
what about the driver side? i hear mixed things about it.
thanks for the support bro.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
alright guess im going with the harness haha.
do you know if you can reuse the the axles. i know the passenger side is.
what about the driver side? i hear mixed things about it.
thanks for the support bro.
This is where I become an a hole. Do some research. Forums dont have all the answers, but the answers are somewhere.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did. the dealer said 2 different part numbers. and the auto to manual thread said you need =both axles and later in the same thread they said only change the driver's side and then i messaged someone on s.l. and they said the used both axles off the automatic. that's the only reason im asking getting alot of different "opinions" looking for people who have ACTUALLY done the swap for advice.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to change the driver side but i think you will be fine with the passenger side.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^thanks but i wanna get an answer from someone who has done the swap. not trying to be a dick but i feel like many people are misleading me. you could be right though. i just have heard alot of different suggestions.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not a problem i am most likely will be buying both axles
Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just don't get why i can't find a manual driver's side axle. there doesn't seem to be automatic or manual ones. unless you can find one lol i cant.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you really need to search bud

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...#ht_2787wt_939
Old 11-17-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

passenger axle is the same auto and 5 speed u just need the drivers axle...
Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

and bdis you took the word's right outta my mouth bro. half these people on here put there 2 cent's in when they don't even know how to change there own dam oil. im doing my friend's swap once i put my motor back in in a week or 2. and possibly doing peewee's, ill post up a thread once im finished for all
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah you'll most likely will be doing it weezy. Just need to find parts. Hardest thing to freaking find are the wiring harness and The clutch pedal with the metal bracket. So far i have transmission, brake pedal w/ metal bracket, shifter & Shifter cage, shift linkage, master and slave cylinder. all the small parts i will be getting new so really just need to get the wiring harness,ECU, and i will just get a new upgraded clutch and flywheel.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by weezyfbayba
actually im doing a swap on my boys car and all together with everything with a 1,300 twin disk he only spend 2k so before u speak search it up it's alot cheaper to swap then to trade ur car in for a 5 speed car.
spending 2k when you can sell the car and buy another for the same price or less and not have to spend any money out of pocket. interesting thought process there.

Originally Posted by bdis3
When you have actually tried to do something to your car yourself, instead of paying a shop to do it. OR Actually know the amount of money this swap takes vs buying a new car then post in this thread. Go Screw yourselves.
i was working on cars with my dad before you were even born, so trying to say the "do something to your car yourself" doesn't mean anything. my dad is also master tech with toyota, so i know more about buying the parts and putting in the labor than most people. I've bought, fixed and sold more cars than you will probably ever own and is probably part of my addiction of getting a new car every year or two.
you can sell the 07 auto with 50k miles for around 11k+/- and then buy a similar condition 07 manual for the same or cheaper. if you spend 2k-3k on this swap and than try to sell later, it's lost more value since the manual conversion is not oem along with taking away the added value for the auto. I know plenty of people will say they're keeping their car, but you won't. it gets sold in a year or two when you want something better and you make more money. you guys are young and barley out of the teenage years, but you will learn from this by making the mistake now.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really didn't want to quote your huge rant. If i were to sell my car i would only get 6900 or willingly 7300. Its a rebuilt title. Doing the manual swap will cost me around 1300 to 1500 saying real high. As of right now i have only spent 500 dollars and have almost everything i need.

If i were to buy another tC manual it would most likely be more money. You have to consider the transfer's. If from a dealer there are dealer cost. Since you are much wiser and older you should know this sir. Oh i forgot to mention buying another tC who knows how many owners it has have? who doesn't know if they dog the crap out of the car when they took it off the lot there are a lot of things to consider.

YES i will be keeping my tC till the thing BLOWS then rebuild it. just because i love my car and honestly i am content with my vehicle and really don't want nothing else. I'm sorry most of us young and stupid user don't have so much money that we can just buy a new car every two years like your wise and knowledgeable member or wait do you lease your cars? Must suck to pay monthly to drive a car that you will only be returning back in a year in a half =/

Quick Reply: yet another auto to manual question (ANOTHER ONE!)