Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Yikes, terribly sounding exhaust, more honda than a honda!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yikes, terribly sounding exhaust, more honda than a honda!!!

I bought the new generation Megan header to look at converting into a turbo manifold and went to test fit it today to see what kind of surgery would be needed to make it work, if possible. It is a well made and very nice looking unit.

Well, the factory installed O2 sensor was crossthreaded, took my nearly an hour to get it out, damaged the bung on the stock manifold quite a bit, the sensor threads were not to hard to clean up so it will be ok.

So now I am stuck leaving the header on for awhile, at least we do not drive the car much.

The resonator was removed a couple of months back and the muffler was replaced with a compact reverse flow unit to allow room for a reformed floor to fit our 15" sub flush mounted. It was decent with a tiny bit or rasp, the mufller will be deleted during our next performance mod.

But, this setup with the header is just plain awful sounding!!!!!

It will all be fine when we install our turbo system so we may just leave it parked until we have it ready to go, the car is embarrassing to drive now, lol!

Note: This is not the headers fault at all, just the way things are with the combination of no resonator and muffler we have, the engine is making the noise unfortunately, it just does not get filtered out in the current exhaust system.
Rick
Old 09-03-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make a sound clip...I'm sure we'd all love to hear it no matter how bad it sounds.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a chance!!!! LOL, it is embarrasing to drive, really, not going to share that with anyone
Old 09-03-2005, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh come on...itll be an exercise in what not to do. We know you hate it so it wont be like youre showing it off. Dont make me start a poll now
Old 09-03-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I no longer have anything to record it with except a digital camera, not going to be worth it;)

Rick
Old 09-03-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may let somebody record it if interested and want to come to my place because I can't take the time to go anywhere for a few days, just have to get our shop setup!

Rick
Old 09-03-2005, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I've got the new Megan Header and have not touched an aftermarket exhaust due to the fact that I'm dreadfully afraid of it sounding horrible....
Old 09-03-2005, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just buy a huge resonator FIRST before you buy the exhaust so that you have NO excuse for it sounding bad.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

i know exactly how it sounds, ive heard plenty tC's around here with Megan header and exhaust sounding like poo!!!
i had issues with my cat-back,s-pipe,and Alpha werks headers sounding bad
i found it to be the muffler on the exhaust itself and removed it and put HKS high power exhaust on, basically a str8 pipe now...sounds amazing, much better

but adding the headers for some ppl made the exhaust sound very horrible, even worse than the loudest/most annoying honda in ur area

but once you add ur turbo, im sure it'll be sounding hott
Old 09-03-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, this was just a test fitment gone bad when I found a crossthreaded O2 sensor, now I do not want to drive the car until I get the turbo on it or at least the new exhaust but still working on ideas for it.

We are going to drop the subframe soon for installing the LSD, clutch, flywheel, FSB, etc. I am contemplating building a jig to stablize the crossmember then fabricating a hole through it (very well braced of course) to run the exhaust straight back instead of having an S pipe. I have looked it over a bit, not really that difficult a job. Since we will have pretty solid motor mounts there will be very little movement of the pipe through the opening so it may work out great, even less restriction would be the result

Or, an ovalized section running under the sub frame, make it fairly easy to remove incase I flatten it during some fun time behind the wheel;)

Rick
Old 09-03-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

im glad a cmpany is buildin SCCA tC, cuz i see the all these new car models with companies racing, and it upsets me that no one has jumped on board.
i do a few SCCA races a year, but don't have time/money to dump into making a car like that....hope the project goes good for you guys and can't wait to see finished project.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to make things clear, we are building this for SCCA SM class autocrossing (STI, EVO, WRX, M3's in the class), will do a bit of drag racing and run track days on road courses. The car will be driven to all events and will have a killer audio install, will be raced at least part of the time with the audio on board just because we want to

I would love to build one for full on road racing as feel it could be a very competitive car and know of some that are being built for that(can't say more though;)

Rick
Old 09-03-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

i was aware of the class, not sure if others were confused.
still hope it all goes well, and goodluck
don't need rumors floating around, so ill just see the finished products you say are being built when they are done for sure.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool,
We have a huge mountain to climb to be competitive in that class, deffinately an underdog and do not expect to be a top contender but will be dang good

In 2003 we ran a turbo Matrix in So Cal, alot of improvement and still developing the car at the end of the season, best finish was 1/100th out of second place against M3's and WRx's, not bad at all when you consider the competition. If we had continued in 04 we would of earned some second places but when you have an 8 time national champ in your class it is a bit tough to take a 1st place. But, getting a Matrix that fast was a huge success, certainly opened alot of eyes, mine included!!

Now we have the dreaded STI/EVO bad boys to fight against, not going to be easy to say the least.

We are not into rumors at all, the car is half done, most of the other parts are here waiting to be installed, have a deal on the turbo system in the works but if it does not happen soon we will built it, we built the Matrix system. Will post pics on another thread when our website if up and running properly.

Rick