Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ZPI s-pipe Dyno run w results and *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can do that if you bend pipes really slow and use some oil to help the pipe slide. Im impressed with the gains an s-pipe can give. Not to shabby.

Charles
Old 12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kelly,

Nice review I am glad to see that this made some power for you. 9whp at redline is awesome for that price tag.

The ZPIracing S-pipe is mandrel bent a mandrel bender still bends the pipe in the same fashion as a typical bender found at any muffler shop. Instead of bending it though it stretches the pipe. This is still done from the outside not in the inside as some are trying to speculate. The S-pipes are bent on a full CNC bender created using Bend Tech Software. I have included a video of a bender very similair to the one that we bought at PRI to give you an idea of how it works.

http://vansantent.com/2060Kv4mb.wmv
Old 12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having the piece that runs through the inside of the pipe is what keeps the pipe from "crushing". Im not trying to speculate anything and your comment is uncalled for. I even complimented the pipe on the power it made. I was hoping it would be taken on a positive note.

Like I have stated, I believe twice before, it doesn't matter if they are or not because they are not done in such a manner as to disrupt flow.

Charles

P.S. Kelly, I've spoken with you many times before when I was with ZPI. Car looks good. If you need anything, hit me up.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want to get a better s-pipe but i only have a cat-back. would i notice any gains? will i get a CEL with one even without having a/m headers? would i high flow cat be good to get with this? thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI s-pipe Dyno run w results and *pics*

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleTC
I have the DC header, this throws the Cell which requires “anti-foulers” to be installed. The stock sensor is mounted further forward on the pipe, accessing the sensor has more room to work with. The ZPI sensor is mounted farther back on the pipe placing it over the cross member, the amount of room in here is reduced. The sensor is moved back farther so the CEL will not be triggered.
i would like to thank you for taking the time and clarifying your review. I just purchased the DC header(2 days ago), and was looking for a way in which to not have the CEL light come on. Before I read your post, i was going to do the anti foul method, but your review has persueded me to buy the S pipe. Not only will it fix the CEL , but also give me small power gains aswell.

My only concern is if the CEl will go off. I know some companies claim they have fixes, and then either it doesnt work at all, or only on 50% of the cars. In your case, has the S pipe fixed the CEL problem? Also did you pay $200 for the S pipe, or can it be found cheaper somewhere.

Thanks for your time,

John
Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI s-pipe Dyno run w results and *pics*

i would like to thank you for taking the time and clarifying your review. I just purchased the DC header(2 days ago), and was looking for a way in which to not have the CEL light come on. Before I read your post, i was going to do the anti foul method, but your review has persueded me to buy the S pipe. Not only will it fix the CEL , but also give me small power gains aswell.

My only concern is if the CEl will go off. I know some companies claim they have fixes, and then either it doesnt work at all, or only on 50% of the cars. In your case, has the S pipe fixed the CEL problem? Also did you pay $200 for the S pipe, or can it be found cheaper somewhere.

Thanks for your time,

John

Anytime John it is my pleasure to share with the community, getting a good price is important but not at the expense of long delivery times, poor customer service and no follow up after the install.

The good news is you can shop directly from ZPI for this purchase, additionally the SCION community has a good number of well established reputable online retailers. Check out the vendor section.

As to the CEL, I think this is best addressed directly with a phone call to the company’s technical support group. Yes most all cases of CEL are eliminated, however this may not always be the case and since I don’t make the s-pipe and support it I can not say for sure how many “rare” cases come up.

As you accessorize your car expect that in some cases issues may come up, not all aftermarket parts are bolting them on and have a great day. The term “tuner car”. The car has too many variables which you or the manufacture can not always compensate for. This is why you need to find a reputable reseller who can support you after the sale if an issue comes up. Please try to avoid the post “this poop blows” before contacting the manufacture as you may not get the support you were looking for.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once again thanks for helping me out. Your contribution to the scion community is greatly appreciated. Keep the reviews coming for any of your future mods. Your reviews are top notch.

John
Old 12-14-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will this show any gains on a car with only the TRD exhaust, or is a header necessary for noticeable gains? Also, if I do get this am I going to get a CEL?
ScottsdaleTC where is your Magnaflow cat, is it in a custom midpipe?
Thanks for your time.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

without a header, your not really going to notice any gains. But it wont hurt and you wont throw and CEL's.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nmbr848
ScottsdaleTC where is your Magnaflow cat, is it in a custom midpipe?
Thanks for your time.
I apologize for the long delay in my reply, I’m a little under the weather.

The OEM mid pipe was removed and replaced with a new mid pipe. The magnaflow cat is small and lays flat, it fits in the stock position of the cat just after the s-pipe. The mid pipe increased in size to 2” 5/8 I think, it was just under 3 inches. The first issue was we did not put a resonator on, that lasted about a whole 30 seconds. A 21” “glass pack” was put in, ah yes, what a world of difference. I have some pictures around here somewhere but I can’t find them, if I do I will post them.

I am seriously considering 86’ing the mid pipe and DC axle back for a full ZPI set up. I may be back soon with a new exhaust on the tC.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have any rasp with the DC header, or did the resonator solve the problem? Those pics would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can’t find the pics, sorry. As long as you do not have the TRD axle back with the DC you’re OK. A hint of rasp if you know what you’re looking for, the resonator does clean it up and has that growling affect. When I added the s-pipe the high pitch rasp was reduced. By reducing the higher pitch, which the human ear is more receptive, the overall presence of a lower growling becomes more predominate.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ScottsdaleTC I do have the TRD axle back, so would you reccomend that I get the ZPI s-pipe and not the DC headers?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get the s-pipe that is not the issue. The combination of the DC header and the TRD axle back is, it sounds like a can of bumble bees. I’m not sure about the Megan or AW headers have the same issue with the TRD axle back. You will have to do a search on S/L for past forums on this.

When I had my TRD exhaust and I opted for the DC header I already new the TRD axle back had to go, that is why I have the DC axle with the DC header now.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good setup
Old 12-29-2005, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lots of good info there....thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the review and those ARE impressive gains. I think I'll be switching my home-made s-pipe for one of those, since extra hp is always welcome.
Do all the name brand S-pipes perform the same (ie; Draxas, ZPI and CC) and has anybody got a link for this testing?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member

i just installed my ZPI spipe, and from my understanding, ZPI has the only Spipe on the market with a 2.5" diameter. All the rest, Draxas, cc, are all 2.25". So to answer your question, no they dont all perform the same. Im guessing you're prob going to see 1-3 more hp with the ZPI, especially after 4K rpm. Hope this helps!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

draxas s-pipe is 2.5". I'm not sure but I believe the cc is also.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which one of these is actually mandrel bent?

Quick Reply: ZPI s-pipe Dyno run w results and *pics*