Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ZPI Stage 2 Head INFO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default ZPI Stage 2 Head INFO?

Has anyone been lucky enough to afford it yet? I was wondering if i happen to buy it however. Should i need to get new pistons? I mean what stock can't I use and need to replace? And what would the total cost of getting it installed? Is it alot?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

prepare for spend $$$ on an install. It takes a VERY long time to install, and is very difficult.

Everything else can stay stock, except the head.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

should be alot cheaper getting the stage 2 head installed than the stage 1 because it comes totally assembled so its just a head swap. you could probably do it in a afternoon.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You mean theres instructions on how to do it your self so I'm only paying $2200 for it?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe the block needs to be removed due to the timing chain?? I remember hearing that to remove the head that the entire engine needed to be removed... So this would not be a typical bolt on at all. Also it does not come with cams so that still needs to be swapped or custom ones made.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xjamiex
You mean theres instructions on how to do it your self so I'm only paying $2200 for it?
you get a whole head thats already assembled. all you have to do is take your existing head a bolt the new one on.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you know how a head install goes or are you just saying what you're inferring?

You may rare and have a lot experience already but chances are, you don't know much about what you're talking about and are severely underestimating the task of a head swap.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah, a head replacement is not an easy or quick task on the tC. Of course you do not have to remove the engine either. You can access the bottom of the timing chain if need be through the wheel well.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
Do you know how a head install goes or are you just saying what you're inferring?

You may rare and have a lot experience already but chances are, you don't know much about what you're talking about and are severely underestimating the task of a head swap.
Sorry if i made it sound as if it was easy. the point i was making that it would be alot easier than doing a head swap with the stage 1 package. i've been been around cars almost all my life and have helped perform head swaps on hondas and from personal expierence its alot easier just removing the timing chain and cams and setting them in a new head thats already assembled than taking apart the whole head and assembling a whole new one.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I wonder what the hp increase would be. Also 7500rpm readline is sweet.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the big deal about replacing the head
Old 05-21-2006, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bboyizzy
what is the big deal about replacing the head
with the p&p and larger valves it can increase the flow greatly and add alot of power with some tuning
Old 05-21-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I dont know the numbers but the stage1 was "suposta" be putting out over 20hp extra. SoOO im going to guess and say this should be more. Also - since its another grand before readline ..... w/ the s/c you will be making a lot more POWER!
Old 05-21-2006, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

The install on the tC is not easy.... I've looked into in a couple of times with the Toyota tC repair manual... it requires a ton of shop time.

It's possible for the garage mechanic, but I wouldn't touch it... and that says a lot, cause not shop has touched my car to today and I do everything myself... it's a tough baby to do.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah hearing that thye said it is suppose to boost it to 7500 rpm that is pretty crazy but i wonder if the stock engine is going to be able to handle it or not? Do your guys think we need to get new valves or pistons? Or am i wrong about this. $2200 is pretty pricey not including installation yet. Dang it would be nice if it boosted lik 40 or 50 hp thats CRAZY! But i read ZPI site and they are trying to get people to test the product for them but we still gotta pay for the part. So nothing is proven yet. Thats what I'm hoping to see soon. I still wanna see the LSD that their coming out.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well its 2200 minus the return fee. I wish I lived close to these guys because I would be testing all of this stuff out. The people that make the product I would trust the most out of anybody since they should know how things work the best.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member

the price on the head really isn't that bad if you look at what the gains are. if your plaining to keep your car as a daily driver i personally would get the head, because of the fact that that it has never really been tested. also everyone has been making it out to be a so hard to do a head swap on the tc. its no harder then any other car out there. its simple the average back yard mechanic isn't gonna have the tools and time or proper area to do it in. dohc heads suck we all know that so my advice to anyone out there if you don't know what your doing or have never done it, find someone who knows or pay someone to get it done.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone seen a dyno for this?

-BrianH
Old 05-22-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea just did a head swap on a GTS, its not bad and can be done in your driveway. The tC shouldnt be too much different.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For people that cant offered Stage 2 head, do you think stage 1 would be a nice little gain do you think its worth buying, beucase i was thinking of getting stage 1, on the ZPIracing web sites says you get a 22whp gain

Quick Reply: ZPI Stage 2 Head INFO?