Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ZPIracing Mid-pipe **FINALLY**

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Sorry to burst your bubble miller. But I said Magnaflow is the only company producing 50 state legal cat back exhaust. And further more. If you don't know that the first flange after the catalytic converter is at the axle. Then you should use the search function. So for a true bolt on cat back exhaust you would need to replace the stock cat. By the way in the state of california its illegal to tamper with a working cat. So now i am forced to re interate the 50 state legal clause. As for it not costing a grand. HOw much is an axle back? i'll give you 350 for a decent axle back. And how much are they charging for the mid pipe? And shipping etc? What about installation? Yah know I may not be a mathmatician, but thats about 1 grand I think... I could be wrong.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no real point to a "full cat back" on the tc unless you remove the cat and the resonator the piping is all mandrel bent well except for the spipe and other then that your not realy going to free up any power by adding stainless steal piping under the car lol an axle back is fine if you dont want to remove the 2nd cat
Old 12-22-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Sorry to burst your bubble miller. But I said Magnaflow is the only company producing 50 state legal cat back exhaust. And further more. If you don't know that the first flange after the catalytic converter is at the axle. Then you should use the search function. So for a true bolt on cat back exhaust you would need to replace the stock cat. By the way in the state of california its illegal to tamper with a working cat. So now i am forced to re interate the 50 state legal clause. As for it not costing a grand. HOw much is an axle back? i'll give you 350 for a decent axle back. And how much are they charging for the mid pipe? And shipping etc? What about installation? Yah know I may not be a mathmatician, but thats about 1 grand I think... I could be wrong.
Not bursting my bubble. Why would CC's cat-back be any less 50-state legal than Magnaflow's, it's the exact same setup! I'm fully aware of how the exhaust system on the tC is arranged, thank you. If you decided to read my post, I said a "true bolt-on" exhaust consists of it being s-pipe back. Those exhausts are being called cat-backs as well, mainly because the first cat is on the header and it's easier to market than saying "s-pipe back" since most noobs don't know what an s-pipe is. Replacing a "working cat" with a hi-flow one is not tampering, the only reason it wouldn't be California legal is these smaller companies don't want to shell out thousands of dollars trying to get a CARB sticker for a part to go on a car listed as ULEV. The ONLY reason why axle backs are $350 is the brand name, it does NOT cost $350 to produce an axle-back! Not when you can get an "s-pipe" back system from Megan Racing for less than $300! Mathmatician no, sorry you're far from it.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

my temporary axle back setup:
1 Universal Muffler w/resonator = $50
custom pipe + labor = $50
Old 12-22-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

You can look up california state emission laws on the web and they have a section on tampering (wich includes removing) with catalytic converters. There are plenty of parts w/o carb numbers that will pass a sniffer test. In california carb numbers generally serve the purpose of passing visual inspection and not getting your ride an expensive stay at the impound yard. Creative compacts does not have the same set up as magnaflow. And I would like to see exactly what exhaust kit you are speaking of because i can't find one with the same set up as magnaflows. Further more. A Megan s-pipe back exhaust kit isn't exactly a ZPI exhaust kit. Wich i specificly stated that thier set up would be about a grand. Also the catalytic converter on the exhaust manifold is a "Pre-cat" As those emission parts generally were not required on vehicles produced from 1995 and below. As for your axle back comment and paying for a name. I can get a muffler for 50 bucks on ebay. But you get a lot with a name. Paying for a name is paying for quality, and a re assurance that thier product is everything you expect from the name.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

for ZPI making what people asked for.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

THe fact you can't replace a functioning cat (even with a CARB exemtp High flow cat) is why getting carb approval for aftermarket header and turbo kits is so difficult. I've taken the liberty of getting yah some info on the wonders of california emission laws vs. federal.

http://www.racingbeat.com/emissions.htm
Old 12-22-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so the mid pipe is going to have high flow cat and a resonator?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Creative compacts does not have the same set up as magnaflow. And I would like to see exactly what exhaust kit you are speaking of because i can't find one with the same set up as magnaflows.
http://creativecompacts.com/Merchant...SciontCExhaust
For your viewing pleasure.

They also sell a "true bolt-on" s-pipe back system, full stainless with hi-flow cat and resonator for $770 including 5% MD tax. I don't count installation fees since anyone with basic handtools and a set of jackstands can install one. Still remains 49-state legal and I could careless about CARB.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Guys.... please take it to PM on the off topic stuff... Legality, Cat-Back, Resonators, High Flow....

Let's not fill threads with back and forth talk.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry WeDriveScions, I'm done with the worthless banter. Back on topic.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Well that was a new one to me. I stand corrected, but it still has more bends than the magnaflow. and magnaflow was the first. Either way. The zpi midpipe axle back combo is both expensive and not 50 state legal. You'd be better off fabbing your own. Mandrel bent exaust piping can be bought at your local muffler shop.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well that was a new one to me. I stand corrected, but it still has more bends than the magnaflow. and magnaflow was the first. Either way. The zpi midpipe axle back combo is both expensive and not 50 state legal. You'd be better off fabbing your own. Mandrel bent exaust piping can be bought at your local muffler shop.
thats what i did but then again not every one has access to a welder or a 1k to drop on a decent one either
Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

after the holidays i will most likely buy this mid-pipe. i know first hand how well kenny and the guys over at zpi help out customers. hell when i had a problem with my MAFS he called his head tech around 10-11pm to give me some tech support. i have one of there s-pipes, pre-ordered there motormounts, and will most likely get this mid-pipe and weld in a highflow cat and resonator and match it up with a HKS hi-power exhaust (i love the way that exhaust sounds).

i would just like to thank kenny and the people over at zpi for there support in the TC community
Old 12-23-2005, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

oh yeah the magnaflow catback is also 2.25 inches where the zpi is 2.5. and stainless is an expensive metal
Old 12-23-2005, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so are we going to see a dyno, sound clip, and some pix of this thing
Old 12-23-2005, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We will post pics after the holidays. We are still looking for a TRD customer so that we can get some dyno charts on the mid pipe with the most popular axle back
Old 12-23-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
We will post pics after the holidays. We are still looking for a TRD customer so that we can get some dyno charts on the mid pipe with the most popular axle back
i can have the hks axleback here in a couple of days if you wanna extend that offer to the hks axleback.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

the magnaflow is 2.5 > 2.25 > 2.5 and is ment for a NA engine so its fine unless you are going boost.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the magnaflow is 2.5 > 2.25 > 2.5 and is ment for a NA engine so its fine unless you are going boost.
whats the point of going from 2.5 back down to 2.25 and then back up to 2.5? i would think that would create more backpressure then wanted

Quick Reply: ZPIracing Mid-pipe **FINALLY**