Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ZPIracing Turbo Video!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I would like to know is life of the engine running hard through some hills and curves at 6 psi for 30 minutes? Non IC setups are usually ok when you don't beat on them, but putting super heated air through the engine uncooled for a long time will cause extra stress. IC would help that a lot. Now I know you can have that added to the Stage 0, just curious what they think the impact would be on the engine running non IC for a long time ... hill climbs, track events... etc.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are many variables. how hot is it outside? how efficient is the turbo (cfm@rpm)? is it oil and air cooled? how well does the radiator work?

most of these cars you see that have HUGE intercoolers covering up their radiator are just dyno queens or 1320 cars. they couldn't survive a road race without overheating. this is a reason i like a SMIC A2A intercooler (as opposed to FMIC or A2W (too many moving parts) or non-intercooled).
Old 06-13-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... and as far as the efficiency goes.. it depends on the housing size and the trim level of the turbo. not just 1 or the other
Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member

How bad is the lag with these systems?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

full boost at 2krpm with stage 0, 2.4krpm with stage 1

i believe thats fairly accurate
Old 06-13-2005, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member

Sweet I want....
Old 06-14-2005, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone has GOT to teach them how to edit video... Jesus.

Looks impressive, although I'm feelin the stage 0 as being the safer bet in the end... *shrugs. We shall see...
Old 06-14-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stage 0 intercooled would be the safest.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stage 0 would be the safest?

i wanted a stage 1 with intercooler ^_^

anyway i thought the stage 1 was around 340ho and tq but i read someone stating that it was only 300?

cause if thats the case i would rather go stage 0 and mod up other parts and get an intercooler.

thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought it was 330whp

why yes it is
Old 06-14-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I want to know is if i pre order this bad boy, how much with a Stage 0 with external wastegate and front mount IC cost? That way if I ever wanted I could probably just push the boost up a few more points with a boost controller.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
i thought it was 330whp

why yes it is

your forgeting they are running external manifold. On the preorder they were selling the stage 0 and 1 with log style internal manifold. Cost extra to get external. I guess you can get external for the same price now.

So this dyno was done with external manifold not internal which is what the kits are rated at.

internal:
230whp
300who

external:
250whp
330whp
Old 06-14-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i was looking at "other" Turbo kits but now that i have seen what ZPI can do im leaning their way. i just wanna see how they handle the sales and shipping now
Old 06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by NVS_TC
your forgeting they are running external manifold. On the preorder they were selling the stage 0 and 1 with log style internal manifold. Cost extra to get external. I guess you can get external for the same price now.

So this dyno was done with external manifold not internal which is what the kits are rated at.

internal:
230whp
300who

external:
250whp
330whp
How does changing from an internal gate to an external gate net you 20-30 hp?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nester

internal:
230whp
300who

external:
250whp
330whp
Especially running through a stock exhaust (as I was told ZPI cars still are), dumping externally will relieve a lot of flow from the exhaust, thus, giving you hp. Same concept as putting a larger exhaust on, you're just venting it off instead.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

That's a good point. The exhaust is a huge restriction..

I was thinking more from a 3in exhaust standpoint, since everyone and their mother in Louisville has a 3in exhaust..
Old 06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dumping externally will probably still add power, but doubtful under the 300whp level. A Tial 38 is about 1.4in diameter, and a 44 is about 1.75in diameter. You can quickly realize how much that is dumping off in relation to the stock exhaust, or even a 3in. Here's a few surface area's for reference:

3in 7.065sq in
2.5in 4.906sq in
Tial 38 1.53sq in
Tial 44 2.40sq in

3in exhaust is generally accepted until 600ish whp. 4in is generally reserved for 900+whp cars. Take a 2.5in stock exhaust and mate it to a Tial 44 and you have effectively a 3in exhaust. However, since the wastegate is only open once you reach the desired boost, you will not get the spool gains you would by going with a larger exhaust.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

the 2az is a pretty stout engine. Most of the internals are forged w/ cast iron lined cylincers. Not suprised they are running stock internals. The rods although forged are thin though.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matty-tC
there are many variables. how hot is it outside? how efficient is the turbo (cfm@rpm)? is it oil and air cooled? how well does the radiator work?

most of these cars you see that have HUGE intercoolers covering up their radiator are just dyno queens or 1320 cars. they couldn't survive a road race without overheating. this is a reason i like a SMIC A2A intercooler (as opposed to FMIC or A2W (too many moving parts) or non-intercooled).
Another less expensive alternative is the Apexi Hybrid Series fron-mount intercoolers. The have differently spaced fins from the top to bottom. It's designed spefically for added airflow to the stock or upgraded engine cooling units. They are always a good upgrade and I do not want to go out and say buy from us (we do sell them) but it will help those who worry about stock cooling units.

Write-up from Apexi...
"The Hybrid Intercooler Series uses an exclusive cross-flow design on all the cores. These cores are the only cores designed specifically for front mounting. The front of the core uses a delta fin type face with two different types of fins. The fins at the base of the delta wedge are tightly packed while those at the top are spaced apart. The difference between the two rows allows the unit to cool passing air much more efficiently. The tightly packed fins allow air to cool more surface area at a time while the loosely packed fins allow better air flow through the core. Because of its purpose-built front mount design, all the fins are extended to the same length at the rear of the intercooler. This prohibits air turbulence and allows air to easily flow through to remaining radiators and coolers"
Old 06-14-2005, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo2liter
Originally Posted by nester

internal:
230whp
300who

external:
250whp
330whp
Especially running through a stock exhaust (as I was told ZPI cars still are), dumping externally will relieve a lot of flow from the exhaust, thus, giving you hp. Same concept as putting a larger exhaust on, you're just venting it off instead.
from what i hear from zpi, both the internal and external wastegate both dumps OPEN. so how is it the external makes that much power? is the external wastegates dump tube larger than the internal? im no turbo expert, just curious

Quick Reply: ZPIracing Turbo Video!!!!!!!!