Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

**PTuning's Red Line T-Attack Debut**

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Haha, I'm pretty sure I have it sitting around, but I don't think I actually took solo shots of it.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Haha, I'm pretty sure I have it sitting around, but I don't think I actually took solo shots of it.
anything will do I'm not picky
Old 08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

This is the only shot I have uploaded where it it's frame...I still have another 800 pictures that I didn't upload, but they're on my Mac and I'm at work

Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Ross,

Here's one:

http://www.scionevolution.org/forum/...uning&start=75

MrC

Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Here's a few carnage picture from this past weekend. It was a successful but very expensive weekend. The first few pics is the ptuning crew replacing the entire front hub and axle assembly, including removing and installing the struts at 2am at the track. We had to make a trip back to the shop to press out the old bearing and put in the new bearing and old hub. By the time everthhing was said and done, it was around 4am by the time we got back to the hotel.

The car is on it's way to the frame machine!

Since we are trying our best to run VIR in order to have a shot at winning the FWD Modified Championship for 2008, we are not going to let this mishap slow us down. The Ptuning crew has already removed the motor and tranny and the car is being towed to a friend's shop for a few hours on the frame machine. Once that's done we are going to take the car back and start replacing the mangled sheet metal. At the same time, we are going to reinforced the strut tower and add additional tubing to triangulate the front suspension with the rollcage--will need it for the 285 R888.

MrC

Old 08-20-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

allow me to be the first to say it. "that will buff right out".

...sorry. couldnt resist.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Was the Coils damaged at all ?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for all the mishaps..

I'm sure you guys will be back up and running in no time.

What's the deal with the motor though? Is it still on 3.5 cyl? Have you guys inspected the mtoor?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:29 PM

The coil overs are fine i think. We haven't had a chance to take the motor apart, but my guess is that the compression rings on the #1 cylinder is not sealing even though the oil rings are--that's why we get a lot of blow-by but no burning oil out the tail pipe.

Our goal for VIR is to run the race motor that we've been working on, but now we have to add repairing the carnage to the list.

MrC

Old 08-20-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Aren't you guys in first for MF and 3rd for UF?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom
Our goal for VIR is to run the race motor that we've been working on, but now we have to add repairing the carnage to the list.

MrC
Oh okay - so we get to see the race motor at work.. awesome.

Since you're done messing with the stock motor, what are your thoughts on it?

Do you feel that 14psi, 330+whp is safe on our stock motors with good tuning? Did you guys run pump gas only? Do you feel that the motor would have lasted longer if it wasn't for the wastegate line melting?

Sorry for all the questions at once - lol.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Music City Scions
SL Member

We are currently tied for first in mod, and are in 3rd in unlimited.

I've not been known to share well with others, and we really want to cement that PTuning has THE FASTEST Modified FWD car in the country.

Wow, MrC, and the guys, you all work FAST! That is amazing that the motor is out already!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by spazegunn213
We are currently tied for first in mod, and are in 3rd in unlimited.

I've not been known to share well with others, and we really want to cement that PTuning has THE FASTEST Modified FWD car in the country.

Wow, MrC, and the guys, you all work FAST! That is amazing that the motor is out already!
Well I think you guys proved that this weekend when you beat the second place MF by a full 7 seconds . You were hanging with some of the MA, you beat almost all the MR, and you even beat some Unlimited cars.

I hope that Civic shows up at VIR (if you guys manage to get the tC running by then), that way you can show it whos the fastest.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'll try not to put words in their mouth, but from a driver point of view, the motor is BEAST! Seriously, the tuning done by toan was amazing! The car had a TON of power, and it never felt week or that it was about to break.

We think the reason we lost that one cylinder was the wastegate lines melting, but even then I could not tell that there was any loss in power. Not many motors can have that much blow by and still be that strong.

We did run pump gas only, 93 from the gas pumps at the track, and I never heard any detonation, at all.

I'll let PTuning explain more about the motor, but I can say i was VERY impressed with that little 2.4L

Originally Posted by B_Real45

Do you feel that 14psi, 330+whp is safe on our stock motors with good tuning? Did you guys run pump gas only? Do you feel that the motor would have lasted longer if it wasn't for the wastegate line melting?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by spazegunn213
I'll try not to put words in their mouth, but from a driver point of view, the motor is BEAST! Seriously, the tuning done by toan was amazing! The car had a TON of power, and it never felt week or that it was about to break.
I concur. That tC was fast as hell, plus it didn't even feel like a FWD around the corners. It was so balanced, no understeer at all, but a slight hint of oversteer every now and then.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow. you guys DO work FAST! i love those pics... keep em coming! only thing i wish though, is if you guys were a little bit closer... ok, like 1 hour drive close to me, i would help you guys out on fixing that car. free of charge of course. its just "the machine keeps me calm, you know?" :D but on a serious note: i really would help you guys out in any way i can. Good luck on VIR! now go kick some a$$! LOL!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Music City Scions
SL Member

http://www.rightfootdown.com/

more about the accident and they way i felt.

It also looks like we'll be on another, very unexpected website, very soon... I'll keep you all updated.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Originally Posted by Ptuningcom

MrC

Not a problem. We're also happy to answer these types of question.

If we didn't have the incidient with the wastegate line that caused the car to overboost, we feel that the motor would have lasted the rest of the season. We originally tuned the car at 14psi @ 335whp (dyno dynamics) 93 octane. When we found out that it was going to be very hot at Nashville, our tuner decided to retune the car at the same power level and boost but with Meth/water injection. The Meth/water injection would help us keep the combustion temps down to eliminate any potential for detonation on 93 octane. I'm glad we did, because I believe that without the meth/water injection, the engine would have been destroyed when the wastegate line melted and cause the motor to hit 30+ psi of boost.

I want to say that running 300whp on our dyno would be doable and probably reliable for a daily driver, but you have to keep in mind that when you are generating more power, you are also generating a lot more heat. If you can't control the heat, then your motor is not going to last very long. In addition, when you are going from NA to forced induction, you need to start with a healthy motor, e.g. 1-3% leakdown across all cylinders. If you're motor is on it's last leg, adding more power is going to destroy it very quickly.

That's why we've spend so much time and money trying to make our turbo system as efficient as possible. There's no ebay radiator or intercooler on our car. There's difference between a $200 radiator and a $700 radiator, just like there's a difference between a $300 intercooler and a $900 intercooler. You get what you paid for. The internal core design and fin count is what seprates a passenger car radiator/intercooler core from a racing radiator/intercooler core. Our 3" exhaust system helps the turbo spool up quickly at the same time, it allows for the exhaust to also exit quickly to reduce excessive back pressure, which will make the EGT go up. Making power is not too difficult, it's making it reliable and controlling the heat is the difficult part.

On the drag strip, you might run your car full throttle, full boost at redline for 1/4 mile at a time and the car is allow to cool down until the next run--which can be a long cool down time. On the road course you're running full throttle, full boost at redline 75-90 percent of the time for 10 laps or 20-30miles at a time, before the car is allow to cool down. That's why our radiator and intercooler are so large.

Making 600-700whp on a dyno pull might sound impressive, but if that kind of power doesn't last for more than 100+ mile per weekend at the road race course, it's useless power.

We will continue to experiment with running 93 octane w/meth on our race motor. Since it's a brand new motor setup for us, I'm sure we'll run into issues that we'll need to address, but that's part of R&D. Since our last two race events, we've had quite a few inquires about our built shortblocks. Although the parts, machining and motor is available, we do not want to offer the built motor at this time, until we've track tested the setup. If something is going to fail, it's going to happen on the track even though it doesn't fail on the dyno--we know this for a fact, many times over.

MrC

Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great! Thanks for answering all the questions.

I've always been a big fan of really large intercoolers on NA to Turbo applications..

We can't wait to see your built motor perform.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Hope to see you at VIR PTuning. I got a weird stomach feeling when viewing those last pics of the car with the motor out.

Quick Reply: **PTuning's Red Line T-Attack Debut**