Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

**Travis vs Preston vs Vinny (Video Pg 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Music fire, vid fire, nice to see you making vids again travis . looking forward to more
Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Meh...

Couple things here and there that are good and bad... There was at least 1 run where you did not hit 120 mph, even thought you said you did

Um...Yeah I did. Don't even try that Joe....lol. A couple of runs....Preston and I only raced 3 times. Ya'll quit trying to get me fired up. I'm already excited enough. Excited that the car is still keeping up with the boys given it's condition.

If my car is ever 100%....run...run for your lives!

J/K...
Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Meh...

Couple things here and there that are good and bad... There was at least 1 run where you did not hit 120 mph, even thought you said you did
i noticed that too. seems to me like preston has the fastest car there, followed by travis, and then vinny.
I almost feel for this comment. Naw, you are not about to get me bent up and out of shape. You are entitled to your opinion (if it's truly your opinion that is, and your not just f-in with me to get me to argue with you)....

And rythmn can't keep posting excuses about why his car isn't as fast as it could be

Theres been excuse after excuse for about 2 years now! Fix the car man I want to see what it can do! You say it's been untuned for over 2 years now but you have an emanage? Do you know how to tune a car?

Yes I am instigating! All in good fun travis, you and I go way back. Someone has to challenge you to get goin!

Don't have the software, been meaning to get it from Brian. Don't worry....I got you though..I got a few things under my "sleeve".... Or should I say IN my sleeve....lol.

There are a few things that need to fall into place first

1) 350z trade in
2) Turbo Seals replaced
3) Piston/rods bought and shipped for special treatment
4) Valves, springs...etc.
5) Assembly

This will take some time, but looking to complete this before end of summer if all goes well. I know it's long over due for me to step up my game. But you know, it's a delicate balance from my 14 month old son, my fiance, the tC, the 350z, saving for a down payment on a house....etc...etc... Thank god I have a career that supports my habits.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by GReddy_tC
Im thinking of getting a TT manifold. I definately need a intake made once my maf comes in. whenever that is. and i need an s-pipe badly.. its killing power. i still mods to get to make the car better n faster.
Hell Vinny, I think I would wait for his shipping to get to satisfactory before jumping on that "I need a todd manifold". Hell, how long has it been since you ordered that MAF flange?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
You know what song I've been dying to make a video too...

Free Bird....Now THAT would make a GREAT drift video stand out, especially with some slow motion angle action.
the best song for a racing video would be "list of demands" by Saul Williams and NIN.

Smells like Teen Spirit...Nirvana
Old 05-20-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1HOVAFAN
Music fire, vid fire, nice to see you making vids again travis . looking forward to more

Graciass! Me Amigo. Looking to making more soon. Would like to get a tune on the car real soon. I'll probably get the seals on the turbo replaced first, then redo my return line (again). Then have her tuned back to where I was running when I had the 16G...11.5 - 12 PSI.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The REALLY Kool thing is, that after we raced, and I was on my way home, I stopped at the Gas station. Put a little petro in, and then when I started the car back up....My CEL was gone! (previous cel codes were "System To Rich", and "Mis-Fire in cyl. 1-4"). I was like No ****...Hell yeah!

I should have did that earlier, but I didn't (turn up the boost that is). The boost increased leaned her out a little, and now, "I'm CEL FREE"...hehee.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice Video.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meh...

i noticed that too. seems to me like preston has the fastest car there, followed by travis, and then vinny.
I almost feel for this comment. Naw, you are not about to get me bent up and out of shape. You are entitled to your opinion (if it's truly your opinion that is, and your not just f-in with me to get me to argue with you)....
There is at least one run, and I don't have the time to watch for the others, where you say you went to 120. It was a run where you topped out 3rd, then 4th, and as soon you shifted to 5th you let off.

I can honestly say I've raced my tC more than 90% of the Scion owners here. I do it on the track where I can set benchmarks and datalog info for development. The tC's 4th gear does 107-112mph depending on your tire size. Regardless, the speedo will still read about 110, due to sensors not being calibrated for you wheel and tire combo. When you shift into 5th, then let off right away, there is NO way you can be going 120mph. 4th gear does not rev that high.

I'm definitely not here to pick apart the video, but what I said is in good attitude towards you and the videos. When you say that I'm bending you out of shape, I'm sorry.

I have enough experience to back up what I say, and I feel that I know more about the tC than most people out there. I had one of the longest running turbo tCs on the market, and logged over 25k miles for our product development. Add our engine management know-how, and I think I can back up what I say.

That smoke screen you leave when you run is funny though! It's like the drift mode in Need For Speed Pro Street!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:05 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

peh.
i know more than you joe.

you just don't know it...and either do i...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha... At least people take it well

People pick my brain online all the time. My PM box fills up every day or two lol. I bet there's a lot of people on here that know some things that others dont. Now if we all just shared that info what a wonderful world this would be!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:09 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know what song I've been dying to make a video too...

Free Bird....Now THAT would make a GREAT drift video stand out, especially with some slow motion angle action.
the best song for a racing video would be "list of demands" by Saul Williams and NIN.
list of demands would be perfect for a racing video...

we should make a list of racing tracks
Old 05-20-2008, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Korn FTW.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Meh...

There is at least one run, and I don't have the time to watch for the others, where you say you went to 120. It was a run where you topped out 3rd, then 4th, and as soon you shifted to 5th you let off.
That is incorrect. Run one is labeled 40-100mph. Run #2-the end, are all 120mph. There is only 3 races with Preston (Dezod powered), yet your previous comment acts like we raced a hand full of times. The outcome is 2 to 1, that's the way the cookie crumbled. No Brake Boosting, no BS. Came down to nothing but spool time. At the drag strip we wouldn't be at 120 now would we? So, it's a tad bit childish to nit pick wether I left off at 120, or 125. And FYI....the 2nd run is actually PAST 120mph (hence where I said...Speed cut @ 127mph. Lets pay attention to the vid a little ok. I don't rig videos and you know that. The races are from 40 - 120 (END), we don't race to speed cut. The winner goes to the person in front by 120, end of story.

I can honestly say I've raced my tC more than 90% of the Scion owners here. I do it on the track where I can set benchmarks and datalog info for development. The tC's 4th gear does 107-112mph depending on your tire size. Regardless, the speedo will still read about 110, due to sensors not being calibrated for you wheel and tire combo. When you shift into 5th, then let off right away, there is NO way you can be going 120mph. 4th gear does not rev that high.
OMG!... Are you seriously trying to tell me how fast I was going, with theories about your car (that's totaly different to mine), let alone you not even been there during the race?.... That's just too funny man. Do you take into account the differences a light weight flywheel might make? Do you take into account the differences in weight? Do you even know what tires I'm on? Are you talking about a race with all 3 of us racing, or just me and Vinny?

[I'm definitely not here to pick apart the video, but what I said is in good attitude towards you and the videos. When you say that I'm bending you out of shape, I'm sorry.

I have enough experience to back up what I say, and I feel that I know more about the tC than most people out there. I had one of the longest running turbo tCs on the market, and logged over 25k miles for our product development. Add our engine management know-how, and I think I can back up what I say.

That smoke screen you leave when you run is funny though! It's like the drift mode in Need For Speed Pro Street!
You got enough experience? So, you can feel free to make a theory up....about an event that you were never apart of.....we call that bench racing. And what is your point about "one" race that didn't go all the way to 120? If you are talking about the races with Preston, 2 of the 3 that I ran with him, were to 120mph. Ask Preston, Ask Vinny...they will tell you the same. 3 guys actually racing, to 120mph, are suppose to not believe their own speedo's, but instead believe what Joe says when he's half way across the country.....

PS....My tC has been boosted JUST as long as your USE to be tC.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I know you are going to nit pick apart the video anyway, because it contains your product. But I am accurate to the 99th Percentile. Surely you are not going to complain about one race with a discrepancy of MAYBE 5 mph are you?

This is why the thread is titled....Travis vs Preston vs Vinny...because it's OUR cars, racing among OUR friends. This isn't a ____ contest, if I wanted my thread to be that, then I would have titled it...Ex ZPI kit vs Dezod vs Custom... And then would have opened it up to all sorts of Bench Racing and ____ Matches. But that is NOT what this thread is about. This thread is to bring MORE action to this site (cause it sucks), to bring the roots back to this site (started with racing, now everyone is stuck on looking at manifold and dyno pictures Bunch of BS).

If not me, then one of my other crew members, is racing 3-5 out of 7 days a week here, and that is NO exaggeration. Here we RACE first, and then car shows come when they come. Of the 20+ Scions in our crew, 3 including myself even post here, because of what this site has become. So, again, if you want to ____ match, and nit pick, be my guest, but I ask that you don't fill my thread and take away from our experience.

We "among ourselves" are all on the same page and are agreeable when I say,

Travis vs Preston
I am 1/2 a car faster

Preston vs Vinny
Preston is a car faster

Vinny vs Travis
Travis is 1 1/2 - 2 cars faster

That's it, there is nothing else left to say about that.

In the future, just to make those "Nit pickers" happy, I have access to TWO video cameras now, because I bought my own (was using my womans- mom's camera all the races before). SO, I can get a setup going to where I'm running Dual cameras, one on the speedo, and one attached to whatever Angle my heart desires do to the external/internal camera mount. And when I comprise the video, I can do a split screen video feed to make for some "SUPER" IN-discrepancy producing videos....(not that there is even a discrepancy now).

Cause at this point, I have to correlate my memory to the video when I go to edit it. Running dual camera with one pointing at the speedo, will eliminate all doubt or possibility in knowing what mph, rpm, gear change, etc....are depicted in the film. Hell, I won't even have to subtitle the video unless it's like a miss shift happening or something along those lines..
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meh...

not trying to f*#k with you at all. 1st race, you got the jump and let off. 2nd race, you got the jump, stayed in it, and preston came flying up on you while you were at wot. not once did i hear the speed cut, and i deffinetly know what it sounds like. 3rd race, preston gets the jump and checks out. so yes that truly is my opinion, which im sure varies from yours quite a bit. one very simple way to settle this would be to do what actual racers do insted of what ricers do. take it to the track. your car, and prestons car are pretty evenly matched. i just feel that he has the slight advantage. it would make for some good 1/4 mile battles.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you think a flywheel makes your gear ratios different than another tC of the same year with the same transmission then you don't know what a flywheel does. I guess I should watch the video again in case I'm mistaken.

OH btw, cool off!

I don't care who won or lost, I've never disputed or brought that up. I would have made that comment regardless of who was in it. Do not get all ____ed off and worried if someone challenges your "street racing credibility". Cool off, when I made the comment I was jokin around and even placed some humor in it so you knew I wasn't trying to bash.

More than one person is arguing the race, I'm arguing the speed. I can't tell somebody to top out 4th gear on these forums so they too can see that 4th it's 110, because that's dangerous for the street. If someone does it though, I'm sure they'll post online. PS - That's why all the guys that race in an actual quarter mile on the track trap at speeds between 108-112. They're topping out 4th gear. Something you'd know if you actually brought it to a track hehe
Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The thing about it is. Whoever said I got left in the dust. Is that these races were gonna be won by whoever had the best spool time. While me with a
-stock airbox at the moment(killing flow)
-stock s-pipe still(robbing oh soo much power)
-a passenger (weighning more than them, riding solo)
-and esspecially a crack in my manifold

It definately wasnt my race... b/c with taking me a few seconds to get the turbo back in boost between the shifts. What do you expect. Ofcourse my car is gonn be slower. So, next time think about that before you say my car is just ballz out way slower.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you did pretty well given the circumstances. Definitely better than some would expect. Good luck with the project man!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Meh...

not trying to f*#k with you at all. 1st race, you got the jump and let off. 2nd race, you got the jump, stayed in it, and preston came flying up on you while you were at wot. not once did i hear the speed cut, and i deffinetly know what it sounds like. 3rd race, preston gets the jump and checks out. so yes that truly is my opinion, which im sure varies from yours quite a bit. one very simple way to settle this would be to do what actual racers do insted of what ricers do. take it to the track. your car, and prestons car are pretty evenly matched. i just feel that he has the slight advantage. it would make for some good 1/4 mile battles.

FYI....When the race ends at 120mph....The person in front....Is the winner...get it, got it, good. There was no ME getting the jump. My turbo spools faster, therefore I hit boost sooner. The races are from 40-120mph the end. The second race we were near 127mph (Speed cut), when I let off. I.E...."Speed cut is @ 127mph" subtitle that showed up in the video. Pay attention.

Sure, we can say Preston is faster from 120mph - 127mph....But who the hell starts a race at 120mph and goes up to 127mph and say, ok winner! Right bro.

FYI....the first race we HAD to shut down, but it was not I that was doing the honking. Only Preston, because he was in the middle. That's where he started our run, and we had to end it at 100mph (HENCE the subtitle label). The Second race was the same as the first beside going past 100mph. He will start gaining momentum around 115mph. If we race completely to Speed Cut 127MPH....he would be a fender in front no more. But again, we don't race from 120-127mph. We start at 40. If we go any lower than that, the jump I will get will be even greater because my low end is greater than Vinny and Preston's larger turbines. The third race with Preston, it's clearly evident that he gets the "jump", as you can hear him on the gas a lot sooner than I hit the gas. You can hear his car go WOT, then hear my car go WOT. Every other race before that, we go WOT at the same times. He didn't magically out spool me in the 3rd race you know. Just different times we pressed on the gas.

Also, I was not at WOT in the 2nd vid when Preston's car reaches the point where he passes. I was already off the throttle by then, and Preston heard it, then he let off the throttle, but his momentum was already carrying him past. Preston called me and asked me if I let off, cause he heard my car go down. I let off due to approaching speed cut. Is it the fact I'm he is racing against him and he has Dezod's T.E.A (stands for Top End Assassin), turbo that is bothering you? My turbo is smaller than his, therefore spooling faster. But still has top end that would keep him back till 120mph?

Should we just basically Throw out all other mph stoppage points, and say that the only way is to race to speed cut....RIGHT. Not sure about you, but we don't race to speed cut, not good for the car.

Again, being on a drag strip, we wouldn't even SEE 120mph right now. So, who would cross the lines first in the 1/4 mile? I guess we are to ignore EVERY other mph cutoff point, and should always race to speed cut....Not going to happen.

Lastly, Preston's car is on a stock clutch, no way could he take it to the 1/4 mile and romp on it next to me. Secondly, I have way more track experience racing this car than he does. Don't you think that would come into play as well. Therefore STILL not making the match "ideal" in your eyes. Your opinion is flawed at most. If we were on the track, his turbo does not change. It's still going to lag more coming off the line than I'm going to. Be it that we are going from a roll, and he can't catch me until 120mph...you honestly think at a drag strip where the finish line is going to come a lot sooner than 120mph for us, that he will win? That doesn't even make sense bro.

Quick Reply: **Travis vs Preston vs Vinny (Video Pg 3)**