Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

**Travis vs Preston vs Vinny (Video Pg 3)**

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Our TEA kit is not optimized for low boost FYI. It's efficiency range is for 14-18psi. I'm definitely not making excuses. The cars both run many different parts, and have different drivers. It's hard to say which is faster.

The TEA was meant for those who plan or planned on upgrading down the road, and didn't want to buy a new turbo to accomodate it. That turbo supports well over 400whp.

Is that listed on the website?

I think this is the same message I was preaching to people a long time ago when ever we got into the Big turbo vs Smaller turbo debate. I kept saying "for the street" you want a faster spooling smaller turbo. For built motors, you want the bigger larger turbo. Yet everyone still had the mentality that bigger is better even though it was a stock motor. Car needs to rev higher to place large turbos "further" into their efficency range. Not that it's not efficient now, just saying when compared to another stock motor with a smaller turbo. My turbo is smaller, but still has a top end that is on par with the larger two.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
If you think a flywheel makes your gear ratios different than another tC of the same year with the same transmission then you don't know what a flywheel does. I guess I should watch the video again in case I'm mistaken.

OH btw, cool off!

I don't care who won or lost, I've never disputed or brought that up. I would have made that comment regardless of who was in it. Do not get all ____ed off and worried if someone challenges your "street racing credibility". Cool off, when I made the comment I was jokin around and even placed some humor in it so you knew I wasn't trying to bash.

More than one person is arguing the race, I'm arguing the speed. I can't tell somebody to top out 4th gear on these forums so they too can see that 4th it's 110, because that's dangerous for the street. If someone does it though, I'm sure they'll post online. PS - That's why all the guys that race in an actual quarter mile on the track trap at speeds between 108-112. They're topping out 4th gear. Something you'd know if you actually brought it to a track hehe

I didn't say it did. I am merely point out that you are not taking into considerations any outside variables between cars you have NO idea about. I didn't shut down at 100mph on any race but the 1st one. And on every other race it's 120mph or slightly less than 120mph (115mph). So, again, what is the means behind you pointing out a 5mph discrepancy? I'm not getting hostile with you, just don't understand where you are coming from with the mph discrepancy comment? Like what was it's purpose?

You know I trap 108-109mph in the 1/4 when it was on the 16G...now how would I know that...hehe..touche!
Ok...

That wasn't the main point of that post, and you've already answered the other q's legitimately. I was more concerned with how soon you could get it tuned so we could see how well the car will run.

Your got all made and brought up the fact that I don't know about the variables on each car and how their all different. I just dont like it when people mislead others on the forum. A flywheel or any other mod wont change the speed of what each gear can do (assuming drag isn't a limitation). I don't care what the flywheel is made of, 4th gear isn't going past 110 by much, and that's only if you have oversized tires.

The video at 4min and 20sec is where I was disputing. You said 120 mph, then you let off as soon as you shifted into 5th. That would be closer to 110-112. It didn't matter, and I didn't make a big deal out of it but you got all sore about it.

As I said, stop arguing about how each car is different. I know that, but it doesn't change what 4th gear can do. The only mods that will change speed is a custom tranny, increased rev limiter, or oversized tires (in which your speedo will be off).

-End of story.

It's just a video. I was teasing you, so get over it. You do make a lot of videos and I applaud you for that. I meant no disrespect by it so don't freak out if anyone challenges you or your thread. People do it to others all the time, and so do you.

Cheers to everyone

Ok...cool. I wasn't mad, I was just confused in what you were getting at. That was just frustration typing, cause I was not understanding the post.

However, I will make mention of one thing. Even though you speak of gear ratios holding a car to a specific mph....the thing you have to take into consideration, is the amount of HP the car has to reach that mph. All you have is a time variable to go by, as you can't see the rpm, speedo. So, all you have to go by is...."he stayed in that gear for x amount of time, so his mph should be this". That's going to change from a car that has 250whp to a car that has 300whp. You see what I'm getting at. The length of time will be shorten for a car that has more HP obviously, so that's just food for thought.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Nice runs. Few things though. Music, gtfo.
You def should have let that Mustang pull up next to you .
What kind of camera mount are you using? Gorilla Pod?
Fix your ____.
And Neil, seriously, stfu. Or was that your brother again?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Lol... Run whatcha brung style and whatever right haha?

I would have liked to have met you guys. Hopefully at our next event we'll see ya!

You guys already had the event? Did I miss the thread? Or it has not come yet?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Nice runs. Few things though. Music, gtfo.
You def should have let that Mustang pull up next to you .
What kind of camera mount are you using? Gorilla Pod?
Fix your poop.
And Neil, seriously, be quiet. Or was that your brother again?

I was originally not going to put music in, but I felt since the opening graphics were a bit long, I needed some entertainment while you waited to watch the vid.

I'm using Chase Cam

Fixing will commence soon...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'm glad you didn't put music in during the runs. I CANT ____ING STAND WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT!

I can't wait til I get my turbo, should be end of June, just waiting on the manifold/chargepipes. And I know you're going to comment on TT, so just keep it to yourself, because timing isn't an issue for me, I'm actually considering delaying my entire kit JUST for a Prosport wideband AFR gauge (which doesn't release til end of June, hopefully).

I'll def try to get a video up of me racing my friends Evo. He's running a 58 trim .63 A/R ( i think), puts 372 to the wheels. Should be fun to do a 40 roll.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
FYI....When the race ends at 120mph....The person in front....Is the winner...get it, got it, good. There was no ME getting the jump. My turbo spools faster, therefore I hit boost sooner. The races are from 40-120mph the end. The second race we were near 127mph (Speed cut), when I let off. I.E...."Speed cut is @ 127mph" subtitle that showed up in the video. Pay attention.
you can put all the subtitles you want in your video. its not going to make me overlook what i am actually seeing. i can tell when someone lets off, cause you will hear the bov, and the sound of the engine slowing. didnt hear that till after he overtook you. and i sure as hell didnt hear the sound of the speed limiter cutting you off. the only race i saw where you actually beat him was the first, due to traffic.

so we can either do our normal back and fourth. or you can simply just accept that we have a difference of opinion. and next time you make another street ricing video, leave the subtitles out, and let people form there own opinions of the video without your spin.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You don't have to drop the throttle completely to back off...

Why am I defending Travis...?

You have to realize that at most, these cars have a difference of 20 whp. There is no way in hell, that someone is going to pull THAT hard on someone else, when they have 20 more whp. Compare it to the other race where Preston gets the jump. Preston is BARELY walking away from Travis.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't have to drop the throttle completely to back off...

Why am I defending Travis...?

You have to realize that at most, these cars have a difference of 20 whp. There is no way in hell, that someone is going to pull THAT hard on someone else, when they have 20 more whp. Compare it to the other race where Preston gets the jump. Preston is BARELY walking away from Travis.
even when you back off a little from wot you still hear the bov. in the last race between them he pulls away from travis at the same speed he came up on him at in the 2nd race. all of these street racing videos are left open to interpretation. thats why i suggest a soutout at the track. the compulink keeps thing real cut and dry. that way you can compare who is the better driver through 1/4mile times, and who has the better car through trap speeds. plus you wont have to cut a race short due to traffic. also, you cant really say what the difference in whp is as there are no dyno sheets for theses cars.

so how bout it travis? been a while since we've seen a track vid from you. im also curious to see how much of an effect that new clutch/flywheel combo has made.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ Then explain to me why Travis didn't get ___ raped in every race by Preston? If Preston pulled THAT hard on him at about 110mph, then why were they dead even from 40-110? The only possible explanation for Preston to pull that hard, would be if he had nitrous, which he doesn't.

You might as well just say "theyre your friends so they let you win".
Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Then explain to me why Travis didn't get butt raped in every race by Preston? If Preston pulled THAT hard on him at about 110mph, then why were they dead even from 40-110? The only possible explanation for Preston to pull that hard, would be if he had nitrous, which he doesn't.

You might as well just say "theyre your friends so they let you win".
because travis has a faster spooling setup that makes better mid-range power, but is not as efficent on the top end. have you ever driven a turbo tc before?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Yes. A dezod one when they first came out.

I'm not even going to bother anymore because you obviously think the video was rigged.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes. A dezod one when they first came out.

I'm not even going to bother anymore because you obviously think the video was rigged.
see, now your just putting words in other peoples mouths. when did i say the video was rigged? im just stating my opinion here. take it for what its worth. im just calling it how i see it. theres no need to get upset over something so trivial. thats why i keep pushing for a track race. so you can take all the speculation, and opinions out of the equation. we all know travis loves to race his car. and for that i applaud him. but if your gonna do something do it right. take it to the track.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, and I agree on the track bit. However, without an LSD...a tC is as worthless at the track as a Geo Tracker.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, and I agree on the track bit. However, without an LSD...a tC is as worthless at the track as a Geo Tracker.
not true. myself, mikescion, kenny strickler, 318tc, and probably a few others have all run 12's at the track without an lsd. besides, its not about going out and running ridiculous times im talkin about here. its about using the track as a controlled environment to have there shoutout at, and be able to have an accurate system to base there performance on.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
you can put all the subtitles you want in your video. its not going to make me overlook what i am actually seeing. i can tell when someone lets off, cause you will hear the bov, and the sound of the engine slowing. didnt hear that till after he overtook you. and i sure as hell didnt hear the sound of the speed limiter cutting you off. the only race i saw where you actually beat him was the first, due to traffic.

so we can either do our normal back and fourth. or you can simply just accept that we have a difference of opinion. and next time you make another street ricing video, leave the subtitles out, and let people form there own opinions of the video without your spin.

You can "think" all you want. The difference between what you see in the vid, and "think" is happening, and me is.......I was the one actually driving. It is fruitless for me to sit hear and argue with you when you was not even there, as well as choose to ignore the fact that Preston heard me let off, and asked me if I did to make sure that's what he heard. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion, but it does not change the video, nor the race results to which I don't care to repeat for the 3rd time. Didn't I just tell you that hitting the actual speed cut was bad for the car? So WHY on earth would I actually "literally" hit the speed cut. Bro, again, the races were to 120mph. If they were to 127mph then yeah I would agree that under those terms of a race, Preston would end up getting to speed cut before me. But as you are fully aware, and I said it already we don't race to speed cut. Again, I was already off the gas before the very moment Preston pulls the car ever so slightly past.

Originally Posted by brett561tC
in the last race between them he pulls away from travis at the same speed he came up on him at in the 2nd race.
Brett.....I'm not even in boost when Preston hits boost in the second race. By the time I even spooled up, I would say his car was already at 10 PSI. That was not a matter of spool time, that was a matter of when I pressed the gas...Obviously a lot later than he did. The two races before that are the results of me hitting the gas at the same time.....hence pulling 1/2 a car instantly. His car didn't magically gain more power from the kick, I was later on the gas bro....use just a smiggen of common sense ok.

Originally Posted by brett561tC
the compulink keeps thing real cut and dry. that way you can compare who is the better driver through 1/4mile times, and who has the better car through trap speeds. plus you wont have to cut a race short due to traffic. also, you cant really say what the difference in whp is as there are no dyno sheets for theses cars.

so how bout it travis? been a while since we've seen a track vid from you. im also curious to see how much of an effect that new clutch/flywheel combo has made.
As mentioned earlier, his car could not handle that sort of abuse from a dig. He should be able to do that latter this year, but launching it at a drag strip, I think he might be able to get like 2 runs in before clutch dies.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brett knows his stuff. And Carbon, you got guts telling me to be quiet. F*ck you, I never did anything to you.

Anyway, 1/4th mile race is the best way to go, because you are going all out and competing, you cant really do that on the streets because of hazards and cops. That's why I never video races on the street because its worthless.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^sorry travis. just going off what i see in the video. nothing personal. just giving my opinion on what i saw. i cant say absolutely what happened as i was not there, and have only the video to go on. when do you think he would have a new clutch by?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
not true. myself, mikescion, kenny strickler, 318tc, and probably a few others have all run 12's at the track without an lsd. besides, its not about going out and running ridiculous times im talkin about here. its about using the track as a controlled environment to have there shoutout at, and be able to have an accurate system to base there performance on.

It's running 12's when I hit the track (consistently) . You have to give me time to not only get the Z traded in, but to get the proper traction components. Otherwise, it's worthless.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brett knows his stuff. And Carbon, you got guts telling me to be quiet. F*ck you, I never did anything to you.

Anyway, 1/4th mile race is the best way to go, because you are going all out and competing, you cant really do that on the streets because of hazards and cops. That's why I never video races on the street because its worthless.

Quick Reply: **Travis vs Preston vs Vinny (Video Pg 3)**