Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

-=-Need help diagnosing problem after installing turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default -=-Need help diagnosing problem after installing turbo.

Just swapped a turbo from one car to another (same make and model, different years though 2005 and 2007).

The turbo worked perfectly on the 2007, but once installed on the 2005 some problems are being noticed.

When the e-manage is connected and the car is started, the RPM's go up to about 2000 and then the car stalls and dies. The car does not seem to respond when the gas pedal is pressed just after the engine turns over. When the e-manage is unplugged the car will start and remain in idle, but the RPM's bounce from ~1200RPM - ~2400RPM over and over again as if I were revving the engine.

The car will drive and once in gear, it seems like the RPM bounce goes away, except when getting into boost range, the car feels like it is bogging down. If this is done for a couple of seconds, the computer throws a misfire code on #2 and #3 cylinders. If acceleration is minimal and RPM's stay under 4000, the car appears to drive normal until speeds exceed 60 mph then the car seems like it mis-fire's.

I have checked the plugs several times, replaced the plugs. Injectors were upgraded upon installation. I believe the coil packs are okay since there aren't any misfires on light usage of the vehicle. The plugs look like they are running perfect (not rich and not lean)

If anyone can help, please let me know.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:06 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take out hte e-manage

does it run correctly?

if it does then it's not hte turbo kit it's hte management system...i don't think the harness is hte same for 05 as the 07

in fact i know they aren't hte same.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way the car won't stall is if I remove the emanage, but as I mentioned above the car has the nasty idle bounce and misfires.

The harness on the emanage isn't PnP. It's only like 5 wires to connect. I reviewed these connections many times.

Is the emanage "active" light supposed to be steady green or blinking green?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

uhmm

maybe cause the MAF sensor aint the same from 07 to 05

get a conversion

someone around here sells it
Old 07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish someone could take a picture of the 5 settings on their emanage blue unit. for the A.A.V.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SickleCell
The only way the car won't stall is if I remove the emanage, but as I mentioned above the car has the nasty idle bounce and misfires.
even without the emanage?

what are your afr's?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

how bout injector settings? what map are you running, maybe you just need another map
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where can you adjust the injector settings?

I got the emanage unit from the same guy I got the turbo from. The turbo was actually designed for the 05-06 tc.... his was an 07.

The injectors were transferred from his car to mine. They are the 550's.

My concern is that it does the idle bounce when the emanage isn't even plugged in/attached to the ECU. I can't find any vacuum leaks. Cylinders misfire
Old 07-04-2008, 11:23 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that shouldn't make a differnce

all that i can think of is a vac leak...that's what happens with vac leaks
Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok...maybe (which would be awesome) this is the problem

Is there anything that is supposed to be connected there? I think that is where a hose ran to the CAI ... I could be wrong.... but if this is part of the vacuum ordeal.... then what should it connect to?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha nice catch! looks like you need a vacuume line going to that! I just installed a CAI the other day ... im gonna go look at my car real quick!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, do I just need to throw in a t-fitting somewhere and run a hose to this?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok theres 2 lines going to it.. looks like the one u have it s the one that goes down to a pipe ... the other end goes to a vaccume line behind the engine... my car has a T there going to the BOV. This should solve your problem!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me run outside and see if I can take care of this... I really appreciate you sticking with me here on this one.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok....so that didn't work.

I found a t-fitting and ran a hose from that piece with nothing on it to the t-fitting (that i spliced into a hose running from the throttle body to the wastegate)

still has the idle rev bounce...... I'm becoming stumped.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

like someone posted before u will probably neeed a maf adaptor if it was on a 07.

i had the same issue on my turbo kit after i got it retuned, where it would die right after it started up. by any chance do u have anything else like a split second? i found out that on the emanage blue (if u have this emanage) there is an anti-stall feature that keeps ur car from stalling while in boost, if i remember correctly, that was causing my car to drop idle and stall out when i did a cold start. the tuner played with the settings, and temporaraliy fixed it. it wouldnt die ,but would keep revving up and dropping idle until my engine warmed up. when i got it retuned the second time the tuner found out that the split second that i had wasnt programmed correctly and that fixed my idle problems completly. i would definitley get it retuned either way, every car is different. sorry for the long post hope it helps

nate
Old 07-05-2008, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The guy that had the 07 had an adapter to make it work because it was an 05-06 kit. So my MAF was a direct bolt on... unless I am not understanding what you are talking about.

I'm ok with getting it re-tuned.... I just wanted to figure out what the issue was before I did that only because it does the idle bounce without the emanage blue connected. I was thinking it had something to do with the car. If it was the car that had the problem...spending a couple hundred to tune the car and having the same result isn't worth it.

I appreciate your help so far.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay.... more help needed. I realized that I may have connected the green and white wire coming from the emanage blue unit wrong. Here are two pictures of what I think should be happening... can someone verify this for me that is 100% sure about it.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lemme get this straight, the throttle body is going to the wastgate and not to the maf sensor?

try connecting throttle body to maf sensor and not teeing it off or anything, teh maf sensor reads the amount of air that goes throught he maf and senses the vac in throttle body, probably compares it and everything.

o7 maf adapter would work, go to home depot and get o-ring and just do that....as long as it seals up you're fine, the o7 is smaller than the o5 o6
Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by enjoithis
ok theres 2 lines going to it.. looks like the one u have it s the one that goes down to a pipe ... the other end goes to a vaccume line behind the engine... my car has a T there going to the BOV. This should solve your problem!
By doing this the way you mention, My external wastegate would not be connected to anything.

Quick Reply: -=-Need help diagnosing problem after installing turbo.