Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

@ Anyone with the TRD S/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default @ Anyone with the TRD S/C

I'm still waiting on my 07 TRD S/C. I talked to TRD this morning and they said the 07 S/C was officially released (including the flash) as of yesterday. The dealership that I'm getting this through put the order through for mine already, the biggest wait is for the reflash... So my main question is... is anybody aware of any special hardware the dealer needs for the reflash? TRD made it sound like they just download the flash with their computer and it's done (not the 2-3 weeks my dealership said it might take for them to get the flash??). Unfortunately the dealership's electronics guy wasn't in today so I couldn't prod them further for information... Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i member correct i think its an actual hook up they use not just downloaded software.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

back when ours was done ( when they first came out ) there was a special part/connector the dealer needed, as some dealers weren't getting that part unless they had installs ordered ( due to cost? ).
I'd be surprised if that part is any different for 06 or 07, but of course could be wrong.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aahh ok. I'm assuming they would of ordered that with my S/C order.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by VitViper
Hey there VitViper! I hate to use the old addage, but you might not want to assume anything... When I scheduled my install I specifically identified the SST number of the reflash tool and they didn't order it (my dealer, though). My car spent 2 extra days at the shop while they overnighted my ECU to another dealer to do the reflash.

Hope your experience goes a little better than mine did!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EtCH
Hey there VitViper!
Hi... Do I know you? >.>

Originally Posted by EtCH
I hate to use the old addage, but you might not want to assume anything... When I scheduled my install I specifically identified the SST number of the reflash tool and they didn't order it (my dealer, though). My car spent 2 extra days at the shop while they overnighted my ECU to another dealer to do the reflash.

Hope your experience goes a little better than mine did!
WEll I mentioned the reflash to them several times after I got the SC order taken care of and a price quoted... I got a call back from the parts sayin' he just found another part he had to order but he wouldn't charge me extra. The dealership's original worry was that they didn't have the capability to get the TRD flash on my ECU, hence the extra wait they mentioned.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that in order to do the reflash for the 05-06 S/C kits, it required the TRD Data Transfer Device (SST 00002-17620). Either the dealership doesn't have the device yet (service advisor told me it was quite expensive) because they haven't done any TRD S/C installs yet or the 2007 S/C Kit requires a different Data Transfer Device...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm the first S/C tC in my area (albany/lebanon/corvallis.. heck I think Salem hasn't done any either), so I'm assuming that's the part they're going to have to wait for. Thanks for the info btw.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm the first S/C tC in my area (albany/lebanon/corvallis.. heck I think Salem hasn't done any either), so I'm assuming that's the part they're going to have to wait for. Thanks for the info btw.
Although the 2007 S/C Kit probably has not been installed by any dealership near you. I know every bolt needs to be torqued properly and is very sensitive when it comes to install. I recommend finding a dealership that has done S/C installs and be sure that they have a TRD certified tech doing it. I drove 60 miles to a dealership that was well known for their S/C installs and it was worth it because I have had no problems what so ever.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiKaZ-sC
Although the 2007 S/C Kit probably has not been installed by any dealership near you. I know every bolt needs to be torqued properly and is very sensitive when it comes to install. I recommend finding a dealership that has done S/C installs and be sure that they have a TRD certified tech doing it. I drove 60 miles to a dealership that was well known for their S/C installs and it was worth it because I have had no problems what so ever.
Well I'm not going to Eugene -- just hate the town so I haven't even bothered checking with them (chances are they haven't either since most of the tC's in Oregon are in the Portland area). I've checked everything within a 45~60 minute drive from me and one went as far as telling me they're not available (can't trust a dumb dealership). Portland area is the next choice -- that simply won't work with my 8:30-5 schedule 5 days a week.

I've had good customer service from this dealership and they're only 20 minutes away from where I live and where I work. Plus, 100k warranty (yes I got the extended, want the S/C cause after driving my turbo ZX2 I need something a bit more for my DD and the S/C works well for that), so if they ____ up, they fix it (I don't modify the tC at all unless it's them installing TRD parts).
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

....I know every bolt needs to be torqued properly and is very sensitive when it comes to install. I recommend finding a dealership that has done S/C installs and be sure that they have a TRD certified tech doing it. I drove 60 miles to a dealership that was well known for their S/C installs and it was worth it because I have had no problems what so ever....
Actually its not that sensitive, its just the part(s) they were using were low quality/weak and thats what they used for an excuse when they often broke. They have since replaced that particular part...

As people have said, they'll need the reflash tool that supports the '07tC supercharger. Make sure they don't try to charge you for the tool itself if they don't have it yet.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb

Actually its not that sensitive, its just the part(s) they were using were low quality/weak and thats what they used for an excuse when they often broke. They have since replaced that particular part...
I have read about the S/C mounts breaking... what other particular parts were of low quility/weak that may need to be replaced on the 05-06 kits?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read about the S/C mounts breaking... what other particular parts were of low quility/weak that may need to be replaced on the 05-06 kits?
It was just a reference to TRD claiming "somebody incorrectly torqued the bolts and that is why your bracket broke..." Then, redesigning the part that was breaking because of "install error." Somebody mentioned they might have put out a TSB on it?!?!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

07 mounts should not break. apparently they have been retooled.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As people have said, they'll need the reflash tool that supports the '07tC supercharger. Make sure they don't try to charge you for the tool itself if they don't have it yet.
They're not. I already had a price quote w/ install before I asked them about the flash (that's when he looked up the part he needed for the flash lol)
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

On the 2007 tC model, reflashing of the ECU is done by a regular Scan Tool or the New TechStream that every Toyota Dealer should have. Gone is the Special Tool that was use for the 05-06 models.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:57 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ hey paul! lucky you... you got the very first one.... wish i had taken pics.

hmm... so no more "special tool"? interesting... wonder how that system is gonna work.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trdpaul
On the 2007 tC model, reflashing of the ECU is done by a regular Scan Tool or the New TechStream that every Toyota Dealer should have. Gone is the Special Tool that was use for the 05-06 models.
That's what I heard from the service manager yesterday.... but for some reason they are saying there's a wait before they can get it???

edit: before they can get the flash for the 07, apparently they're waiting on Toyota for it??
Old 04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart

hmm... so no more "special tool"? interesting... wonder how that system is gonna work.
Hey Trung, it is now just a simple download to the ECU using the regular Scan Tool.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trdpaul
Originally Posted by SquallLHeart

Hey Trung, it is now just a simple download to the ECU using the regular Scan Tool.
Any idea why my dealership is saying it's going to take them a while to get the flash to their scan tool??

Quick Reply: @ Anyone with the TRD S/C