Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

**Another oil leak for the supercharger**

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

as long as they stick by their design it is no problem. so far they came through ffor me 3 times.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

dam man...not another one
Old 05-20-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i doubt they will be a redesign for the s/c
Old 05-20-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

*LOL* guys this is normal, get an oil catch can. If you have tons of oil, the yes it is possible it is a seal but unlikley.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

trd isn't gonna redesign this thing-that means they're gonna be in development for another friggin 2 years. that's 2 years of less profit for them, and more money spent developing something that they've already been selling. not only that, but they're probably hoping that people run into the problem after the warranty expires-that way everyone who has it is just screwed and has to deal with it themselves. they def didn't expect that there would be problems with the sc so soon.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No I am saying get a friggin catch can to help eliminate oil build up in the intake track. Freakin a man, it seems like none of you people have ever worked on a car before *LOL*

But yes, if you have a massive build up then it is possible for it to be leaking. But a few drops of oil out of an intake is totally normal.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You have to ask yourself: Are there a lot of people having problems or are most people fine and you are only reading about problems on this forum (and the people on the forums would be the problematic ones because of modding issues)?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trust me..... listen to desertheat. the guy knows his $hit.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
is that directed to me? ....because im just expressing myself not saying anybody is wrong.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
is that directed to me? ....because im just expressing myself not saying anybody is wrong.
was not directed at you or anyone. i was just stating a fact. desertheat knows his $hit. when he makes a couple posts on how to help out, listen to what he says, he's a very knowledgeable guy!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah, definitely get a catch can. I need to get one myself actually...
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have seen desert heat post and beleieve him. Now school us on the catch can, if you have the time.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well just a quick note, oil catch cans are great if done correctly. A catch can is designed to "catch" oil and particles that come out of the engine. You guys will have to do some research on what you want but the best design I have seen uses exhaust gasses to create a vacume inside the catch can which sorta sucks out hot gasses etc.. from your engine while catching oil blow by.

You can also setup a catch can inline between the valve cover and the hose going into the sc. This will catch the oil and crud than can build up in your intake track, intake valves, tb etc... lowering performance. This design still lets hot gasses into the engine but does work well.

Last design is to simply connect the hose to the catch can and use a breather filter on the vent of the catch can. I personally do not reccomend this in any way shape or form, is illegal in most states but is functional at catching the crap.

There are tons of good posts about catch cans on this forum, rock the search button for allot more details.

Last, yes cheap catch cans can work great. You do not need to spend $150 on a catch can because it has a brand name on it. Allot of cans in the $30 range do the job just fine.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have to ask yourself: Are there a lot of people having problems or are most people fine and you are only reading about problems on this forum (and the people on the forums would be the problematic ones because of modding issues)?
jwaggz82, a while ago I was wondering the same thing. So I started the thread attached below. Right now, the poll results show about 80% of supercharger owners are having no problems. I hope more owners will respond so we can get a clear picture of just how many people have problems. I've had my supercharger for about 3000 miles with no issues.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...322&highlight=
Old 05-21-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by jrussell98003
jwaggz82, a while ago I was wondering the same thing. So I started the thread attached below. Right now, the poll results show about 80% of supercharger owners are having no problems. I hope more owners will respond so we can get a clear picture of just how many people have problems. I've had my supercharger for about 3000 miles with no issues.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...322&highlight=
I find it funny when someone says "i just added another pully" ..... That pully is producting 1.5-3lbs extra boost. Some cars with that boost can produce more power then the tC. ..... Meaning - that boost increase is a bigger upgrade then what people understand. A few lbs of boost is not like a few lbs of air in your tires. But on the other hand, if you know what you are doing and can setup your car to run a 11lb pully I would love love to see it. There are many people on this forum that are VERY smart. I am only as smart as what I read because I didnt grow up working on cars. Unless I see people having good luck with certain parts I dont know enough to try new and interesting things. Those that can and do --- you guys are great and keep me reading daily! Big Props!
Old 05-22-2006, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THe point we need to make though, is that if the S/C is going to have problems without a catch can, then something is wrong with the design. You may want to contact TRD and find out if an Oil Catch can will void the warranty.
I bet it will... I dont think it would be a fix if it voids the warranty... But it would be for those who already have voided it.. lol.. I hope you understand what I am saying.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still think you got robbed, Highlander.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just wanted to point out to those of you talking about TRD redesigning the SC, the actual SC itself was not designed by TRD to start with. It is a Vortech unit. The compressor wheel, volute, seals, etc. were all designed by Vortech. The parts that are specific to the installation were designed by TRD (airbox, hoses, brackets, etc.). It seems that Vortech should catch their share of the blame.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
THe point we need to make though, is that if the S/C is going to have problems without a catch can, then something is wrong with the design. You may want to contact TRD and find out if an Oil Catch can will void the warranty.
I bet it will... I dont think it would be a fix if it voids the warranty... But it would be for those who already have voided it.. lol.. I hope you understand what I am saying.

The issue with the shaft or the pulley end will not be fixed by a catch can. And no a catch can will not help for those of you with that issue. Oil in the intake track like I said is totally normal even if you do not run a supercharger. The catch can will help in this instance. If you fill up 1/2 of a small catch can between oil changes or 1/4 on a large can, yes this would be an excessive case and I would check into it further.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotaracer9
are you guys still running the PCV valve into the intake on these setups? the oil might be blowing back through the crankcase .
Same thing im thinking oil catch can.. open it up stick some steel wool in it to catch the oil.

Quick Reply: **Another oil leak for the supercharger**