Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

**PTuning's Red Line T-Attack Debut**

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by j3st3r
Put together a video for the Ptuning crew

http://www.musiccityscions.com/video/Ptuning_Promo.wmv
Nice video, Brian!

Methinks you have too much time on your hands!! LOL!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Music City Scions
SL Member

Alright guys, i hope you are ready for Round 2! Summit point is this weekend and I know the guys are gearing up!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what size are the advan wheels on the ptuning tc?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^18x8 I believe. Or 18x8.5
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by jmt7080
what size are the advan wheels on the ptuning tc?
They are 18x8.5
Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 AM

I have some good news and some bad news about the Ptuning tC.

First the good news...we've added some major front-end grip to the car by utilizing the extra clearance on our front flared fenders to mounts some seriously wide toyo R888 tires. Now for the bad news...after checking all the fluids and sparks plugs to get it ready for Summit Points tomorrow, we noticed that the plugs in cylinder #1 looked a bit suspicious. So we decide to do a leak-down test on all 4 cylinders; cylinders 2, 3 & 4 were perfect, while cylinder #1 didn't look to good. Let's just say we'll be running a 3 1/2 cylinder turbo engine tomorrow at the time attack.

We believe that the damage was done at Nashville, when the wastegate line melted and caused the motor to momentarily overboosted to 30psi. If we hadn't run the meth/water injection that day, i'm sure the motor would have had detonated when we lost the wastegate line. In any event, we've gone too far with the changes we've made to the car's suspension in the past few weeks to back out now. All we can hope for is that she'll stay together for at least one timed lap on Sunday. We will probably turn down the boost to try to prolong the motor so that Ross can get some practice laps in with the new suspension setup.

We'll let you know if she survives Saturday's practice laps. Keep your fingers cross and wish us luck.

MrC

Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Good Luck! :D See you there guys!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Are there any entry fee coupons??
Old 08-16-2008, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
so ptuning was actually in a lower class then rado and top secret? but decided to go up due to lack of competition in the modified class?
So they ended up beating some guys in teh higher class? I mean, it's mainly tire compound, right?

Rules allow other things. For example, Unlimited you can run lexan glass. PTuning had all your standard factory glass. They were the only ones in modified, and then the Greddy Twin Turbo G35 with 608whp, started dual classing as well. The G35 was iin both Modified and Unlimited. The G35 posted times in the 1:05 once they put on the Kuhmo slicks. PTuning had one set of tires, and that was the R888. If they were on the slicks as well, I think they would be chewing at the heals of the G35. The G35 before moving to the Unlimited class also, was running R888's as well, and posting around the same times as PTuning. They were running 15 PSI (500+whp) for this event.

They were forced to turn the boost up, and throw on slicks because of PTuning's 370-380whp Stock motor Scion tC.

.....What they scared for...it's just a Scion right?
Ptuning is my performance shop... their tC is 339hp by their dyno. mine is 258/273tq. a stock sti (supposed to be 300hp/300tq) posted 221whp at their dyno...

Ptuning is the sh*t!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom
I have some good news and some bad news about the Ptuning tC.

First the good news...we've added some major front-end grip to the car by utilizing the extra clearance on our front flared fenders to mounts some seriously wide toyo R888 tires. Now for the bad news...after checking all the fluids and sparks plugs to get it ready for Summit Points tomorrow, we noticed that the plugs in cylinder #1 looked a bit suspicious. So we decide to do a leak-down test on all 4 cylinders; cylinders 2, 3 & 4 were perfect, while cylinder #1 didn't look to good. Let's just say we'll be running a 3 1/2 cylinder turbo engine tomorrow at the time attack.

We believe that the damage was done at Nashville, when the wastegate line melted and caused the motor to momentarily overboosted to 30psi. If we hadn't run the meth/water injection that day, i'm sure the motor would have had detonated when we lost the wastegate line. In any event, we've gone too far with the changes we've made to the car's suspension in the past few weeks to back out now. All we can hope for is that she'll stay together for at least one timed lap on Sunday. We will probably turn down the boost to try to prolong the motor so that Ross can get some practice laps in with the new suspension setup.

We'll let you know if she survives Saturday's practice laps. Keep your fingers cross and wish us luck.

MrC
Good luck at Summit!!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear about that ptuning!! How much lower was the compression reading of that cylinder?? That really does suck, and sounds like a good indication to build the other motor asap!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd
so ptuning was actually in a lower class then rado and top secret? but decided to go up due to lack of competition in the modified class?
So they ended up beating some guys in teh higher class? I mean, it's mainly tire compound, right?

Rules allow other things. For example, Unlimited you can run lexan glass. PTuning had all your standard factory glass. They were the only ones in modified, and then the Greddy Twin Turbo G35 with 608whp, started dual classing as well. The G35 was iin both Modified and Unlimited. The G35 posted times in the 1:05 once they put on the Kuhmo slicks. PTuning had one set of tires, and that was the R888. If they were on the slicks as well, I think they would be chewing at the heals of the G35. The G35 before moving to the Unlimited class also, was running R888's as well, and posting around the same times as PTuning. They were running 15 PSI (500+whp) for this event.

They were forced to turn the boost up, and throw on slicks because of PTuning's 370-380whp Stock motor Scion tC.

Ptuning is my performance shop... their tC is 339hp by their dyno. mine is 258/273tq. a stock sti (supposed to be 300hp/300tq) posted 221whp at their dyno...

Ptuning is the sh*t!!!
Ya gotta remember thought this car was built for this. The STI is stock yes but 221whp to all 4 wheels is awesome. A few minor upgrades and that thing would see over 300whp at all 4 wheels. But P-tuning does kick **** and they are out there showing people what a scion can do.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd

Ptuning is the sh*t!!!

Nice man, thanks for that insider info. I know their dyno read low, so I was posting the numbers as if they were on a dynojet. That is some good info on their dyno none the less though.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

And good Luck to you guys today MrC. I'm sure we will get news soon as you guys get back.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Music City Scions
SL Member

Alright, here is some unofficial data for you all. First the car performed VERY well today, but we had some technical problems. After the 3rd session out on track we broke into the 1:38's which is "fast" but i know the car has a 1:36 in it. During my last session the car felt as if it had a flat tire, so I did my best on track to see if it was, and the feeling would come and go. I continued for a lap when it happened, I lost partial steering and all power..... Oh no, I just broke the car... but what did i break? I limped the car back into the pits where it was then pushed to out tent in the paddock.

Without hesitation The gang was on the car like what on rice... like a fat kid on a cupcake... like... well you get the idea! Before I could say much we found out that the hub was broken. The brand new hubs that were custom made for the car, were trashed The passengers side hub actually broke, leaving the caliper as the only thing keeping the wheel on.

As soon as the guys found out calls were being made to scion dealerships. Shawn (who works at a dealership) located all the parts we needed, and we removed everything from the car we needed. Right now the guys are at the shop pressing out the old hubs and bearings, and replacing them.

The car should be up and running for tomorrow, only without the 285's I'm certain with the new sway bar the car will still be a dream to drive, and I'm still shooting for a 1:37.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kinda sway bar is on it???
Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Well glad the car will still be trackable after that of course once you get the new hubs put on. Im sure the sway will help and regardless of what happens yal kick ___ and im sure it will still be alot of fun.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by spazegunn213
Alright, here is some unofficial data for you all. First the car performed VERY well today, but we had some technical problems. After the 3rd session out on track we broke into the 1:38's which is "fast" but i know the car has a 1:36 in it. During my last session the car felt as if it had a flat tire, so I did my best on track to see if it was, and the feeling would come and go. I continued for a lap when it happened, I lost partial steering and all power..... Oh no, I just broke the car... but what did i break? I limped the car back into the pits where it was then pushed to out tent in the paddock.

Without hesitation The gang was on the car like what on rice... like a fat kid on a cupcake... like... well you get the idea! Before I could say much we found out that the hub was broken. The brand new hubs that were custom made for the car, were trashed The passengers side hub actually broke, leaving the caliper as the only thing keeping the wheel on.

As soon as the guys found out calls were being made to scion dealerships. Shawn (who works at a dealership) located all the parts we needed, and we removed everything from the car we needed. Right now the guys are at the shop pressing out the old hubs and bearings, and replacing them.

The car should be up and running for tomorrow, only without the 285's I'm certain with the new sway bar the car will still be a dream to drive, and I'm still shooting for a 1:37.

Dang, that still sounds like good news to me Ross. Sounds like the tC is taking a beating on the tracks, but the reliability for a track car that is, is still pretty good. Do you suspect that the damage to the hub was caused by the 285 wide sticky Toyo's? I'm watching closely as this is good data. And what modifications to the hub if any could possibly be done to accommodate these wide stickies, as I'm sure Toyota probably didn't have in mind that we would be putting massive rubber on this car and pushing these kinds of limits.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

285 wide in the back as well right? MrC did you have to run spacers on the back when you guys changed the tire diameter?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by spazegunn213

Glad to hear the motor was running strong, and sorry to hear about the hubs, but hey at least it was not the motor. So with the times you ran, where amongst the field did that put you?

Quick Reply: **PTuning's Red Line T-Attack Debut**