Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

0-60 on TRD Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Next time I go to the track Im willing to guarantee that I hit 13.8-14.0's all day long...put a set of slicks and 13.7's will be attainable no problem. My setup isnt stock though
Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

race tracks could make lots of money by "renting" slicks. like you drive their with your street tires, theyll have almost every size tire in stock, and they'll swap them out in about an hour, you run up and down a few times, they take them off, you pay 100 bucks, and go home happy on your street tires..
Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The supercharger is in! Picked it up this afternoon!

Now I just need some driving time to see how it feels - the drive home from the dealership in stop and go traffic didn't really cut it.

I just hope I can feel the power enough to justify all the money I just spent having it installed...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:59 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I cant wait for the tracks to open see what times I can pull. You will deffinetly enjoy the car russel.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

heck when my car was stock with just the sc and 18" wheels I ran a 14.7 with an ok run, nothing special. I know she had a 14.5 in her stock if I could somehow net some traction. especially if I went to a smaller ligter wheel with a tire with more grip...
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure I'll enjoy it, Nick. I'm just a little sick to my stomach right now with what I just spent on that thing!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:17 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It is a hefty amount of money. But it pays to play safe
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrussell98003
I'm sure I'll enjoy it, Nick. I'm just a little sick to my stomach right now with what I just spent on that thing!
hey, so you didnt get on it at all? also, just stop and go did you really notice anything? please give a follow up, im interested in the opinion from you, some of the other reviews from members on here dont seem to care about the price, they were going to get it, period. and their going to like it. but it sounds like your more conservative, more into what you get with your money, so im interested to hear what your more objective opinion is. im a lot like you, i really want more power thats warrantied, but i have a lot of better things to spend my money on, and if i decide to get the blower, then i want it to be worth it. ill be following!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

KC: i'd say price is important to most if not all of us when adding mods to a car, especially when one will set you back 3k+. This car pulls strong from the get go, with that low 1st gear; & the motor comes on strong maybe 3600 up to redline. We thought long and hard before adding the sc; we had the car for almost 10k miles before the damn thing was even released. We've since put on about 6k more miles, and have been very happy with it. For us, we were looking at the total package. My wife was comparing several sport coupes, from Acuras to Eclipses to....... and for say 21k this car has performance that keeps it in that league, and can save some money doing it.
And as this is my wife's daily driver, factory coverage was a main consideration, hence the TRD set up and not a turbo; not to mention there is little opportunity for us in snow country to hit the strip much anyways. These aren't drag cars, but can be a joy to drive.
To be honest, my .02 says do what you want with these cars, and have fun doing it. But if the main concerns are a budget & 1/4 mile times, then I wouldn't be modding a new car regardless of the manufacturer. Want to build a race car, start with something inexpensive and put your money purely into the drivetrain. But want to have a solid performing new coupe that looks nice, handles pretty well, and can still put a smile on your face running the gears, then the investment can be worth it. It's all about what YOU want in a car, use the opinions posted here for what they are--strictly our opinions.
Sorry for babblin too much, old peeps do that sometime.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seattle traffic doesn't allow for "getting on it" at all. I was disappointed to say the least, but that's what happens when you pick it up in the late afternoon.

But then I went out this evening... Redemption!

There is just a slight difference in the lower half of the RPM band. But as you near 3k rpm, you can really feel it take hold. I scared myself on the on-ramp to the freeway!

What a blast!

I'm glad that I got it, but it is still a painful expense. It gets my vote! I say go for it!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I luv the on ramps as well, a great "legal" way to do a quick blast. I would add that this is a quick revving motor with the sc; and redline comes up fast. Especially in 1st & 2nd; so keep an eye on the old tach as you nail it. As for the price, adding ponies is never cheap. There have been dyno tests with the sc at anywhere from 185-195 at the wheels; i believe the stock motor was about 147 at wheels. So you are adding a true 40-50+/- hp, maybe a 25-30% increase. That is not bad at all; especially when it keeps the torque this motor began with. Whether you add the sc or not, these are nice cars--enjoy it.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No kidding about hitting red line fast! I'm glad I added the short shifter because it is a busy partner while accelerating!

I love the sound of the supercharger, but also love how it quiets down once under way. I would rather spend my money like this - on one great improvement, rather than a bunch of smaller things that each add a little bit. I really like it.

But I only got to enjoy it for a while last night. I dropped it off at the leather shop this morning... Now I really can't wait to get it back tomorrow!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds great! as for basstrack, i dont want to sound like i was judgeing anybody, but you know what i mean. some people fell in love with the charger before they bought it, so prob gave a little bit high of a review, i was just looking for a more critical review, to get a feel for the good and the bad, if that makes sense. its kind of like how we want to be with halle berry, so if we ever did, of course wed love her...
and yea, on ramps are the best! as long as you dont get a semi truck in front of you!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...6/pageNumber=1

Link to a test Edmunds did with a SC tC
Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Ia_tC
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=108776/pageNumber=1

Link to a test Edmunds did with a SC tC
Horrible review. I wont even talk the times they got on the quarter mile. I will talk the obvious.

They compare the HP to the civic SI. But what they mess up is they compare the Scions WHP to the Si's rated crank HP. 197 hp Si does not equal 200 hp Scion.

They say the supercharger added 40 hp to the tc. They again compare Stock tC crank hp to Supercharged tC WHP. 160 hp + Supercharger= 200 hp does not equal a 40 hp gain. It equals 55-60 HP.
A review that cant even get the most important factor of addition correct....holds ZERO credibility in my book.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Halle Berry....... mmmmmmm

what?, sorry, went on a mental trip.. i'm back now....
yep honey, just sitting here posting about the sc..... that's all i'm doing... honest......
Old 03-16-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny how a couple things rarely seem to get mentioned about the Civic Si. Hmm...where to start?

How about where on that engine the peak horsepower lies? With peak hp at 7800 rpm (and a redline of 8000 rpm mind you), that peak is hardly in a useable range. It pays off when you're reving the hell out of it, but does little for you in town.

Second, why do they never talk about torque? Torque is what makes your head snap, not horsepower. The Civic has a minimal 139 lb-ft @6200 rpm. The normally aspirated tC has more torque than that! Come on!

The TRD tC has 200 horsepower at 6200 rpm and 184 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm. Which would you rather drive? I'm comfortable and happy knowing the Civic Si has nothing on my tC.

The Edmunds review discredits itself by claiming the tC has a standard powertrain warranty of 3/36k, when it really has 5/60k. And now that I have the supercharger, I can say for certain that you can make a quick start withOUT spinning the front tires (though it is fun!).

(sorry this is getting long, but I'm not done yet!)

In the Road and Track issue I mentioned before, the following is an excerpt from their test summarizing performance:

"At 7 psi of boost, the TRD supercharger makes 25 percent more power and 13 percent more torque over stock. This equates to 200 bhp at 6200 rpm and 184 lb.-ft of torque at 4200 rpm. To those familiar with high-strung 4-cylinder-powered sport compacts, this extra power gives the tC a very different feel. The 2.4-liter dohc 4-cylinder engine is torquey for the class, and the supercharger extends this feeling, adding power in a smooth and linear fashion. The engine features Toyota's VVT-i system, but there isn't the abrupt hot-cam kickover found in other camparable timing systems, like i-VTEC-equpped Hondas. There is no surge of power near redline; the bulk of the supercharger's power is down low and allows the tC to run steadily up to its 6200 rpm rev limit...

"Even with the extra boost, torque steer is no more pronounced than in the stock tC. That is to say, it is still apparent during hard launches, but entirely controllable. Off the line, you can spin the tires in 1st gear and chirp them loud in 2nd. With 0-60 mph and quarter mile times of 6.9 and 15.1 seconds, respectively, the blown tC outpaces its naturally aspirated brother in both categories by half a second."
Old 03-16-2006, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member

I would agree that the Edmunds review wasn't good, but I thought it would make for good conversation. It's some what of an interesting read even if it wasn't accurate.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was good conversation! I did enjoy the read, even if I didn't agree with it. But I don't mind reviews like this. I like that the tC isn't everywhere, like the Civic. Don't let out the secret about how great they are...
Old 03-16-2006, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^ i agree, i would like people to think i have a slow car, and then show them, rather than going into to it preparing to loose but hoping to win. and as far as edmunds goes, yea, they give it a decent review, but come on, they are a big company and have a lot of responsibility to post accurate info, not like independant reviews. i think honda paid their light bills for that month.

Quick Reply: 0-60 on TRD Supercharger